Army Clothes

vinz

I was wondering if anybody knew of a resource book or an online website that has a comprehensive guide to military clothing?

Also I was wondering if anybody knew what this does:

armyjacket.jpg

It's on this German military parka I own, there's 2 of them inside the jacket, there's also a thick piece of plastic under the fabric.

Last question, anybody own a US army DPM goretex jacket? I saw some today a army surplus store just wondering what are your thoughts on them and what is a good price to pay for a used one?

www.youngestincharge.com

www.opticalweapons.com

Quote:

GERMAIN RAIN IS NICE.

ANY REASON WHY PEOPLE GO CRAZY OVER SUPREME M-65, BUT NO ONE CARES FOR THESE?

http://cgi.ebay.com/SMOCK-Temperate-DPM-Combat-170-112-RARE-Vintage_W0QQitemZ6574992248QQcategoryZ90694QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

--- Original message by dontcaretoomuchforcrap on Nov 10, 2005 09:28 PM

because that one on ebay isnt made by supreme. you f--king idiot.

as far as i know, dpm is an acronym for the military term of camouflage. just like s.o.b. or f.o.a.d..

if you have the dosh get the dpm book at your local fancy bookstore by that maharishi guy. there are 2 versions. get the one with the extra book in it ,so not the trade edition.

the eclipse is nigh

Quote:

as far as i know, dpm is an acronym for the military term of camouflage. just like s.o.b. or f.o.a.d..

if you have the dosh get the dpm book at your local fancy bookstore by that maharishi guy. there are 2 versions. get the one with the extra book in it ,so not the trade edition.

--- Original message by doom on Nov 11, 2005 10:42 AM

Examples of acronyms would be FUBAR, SNAFU, or even a more technical term like MOUT (FIBUA for Canadians). DPM are the initials for Disruptive Pattern Material which itself is the term desginated for the specific camouflage pattern created by the British military. The pattern itself is (in various color schemes) in use by several other countries including some in S. America, Asia, and the middle East. The US has several different camo's currently in use but the pattern traditionally associated with the US would be "US woodland", which is somewhat similar to british DPM. CADPAT/MARPAT are both disruptive modern camo patterns which are meant to more effectively break up the outline of the body/silhouette compared to the older US woodland pattern.

Quote:

--- Original message by doom on Nov 11, 2005 10:42 AM

Examples of acronyms would be FUBAR, SNAFU, or even a more technical term like MOUT (FIBUA for Canadians). DPM are the initials for Disruptive Pattern Material which itself is the term desginated for the specific camouflage pattern created by the British military. The pattern itself is (in various color schemes) in use by several other countries including some in S. America, Asia, and the middle East. The US has several different camo's currently in use but the pattern traditionally associated with the US would be "US woodland", which is somewhat similar to british DPM. CADPAT/MARPAT are both disruptive modern camo patterns which are meant to more effectively break up the outline of the body/silhouette compared to the older US woodland pattern.

Quote:

Since DPM is just an acronym for Disruptive Pattern Material, why wouldn't the US use DPM?

And as far a recent example goes - MARPAT/CADPAT is DPM isn't it?

Edited by jdavis on Nov 11, 2005 at 06:02 AM

--- Original message by jdavis on Nov 11, 2005 06:01 AM

As another poster suggested an example of an acronym would be terms such as FUBAR or SNAFU (both old mil terms BTW), slightly more technical examples would be something like MOUT (or FIBUA for Canadians), ALICE, MOLLE, ect. DPM itself as you suggested are the initials for Disruptive Pattern Material. DPM camo however is the official name designated to the pattern in use by the UK armed forces, an example of which would be the pattern that is shown here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SMOCK-Temperate-DPM-Combat-170-112-RARE-Vintage_W0QQitemZ6574992248QQcategoryZ90694QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The pattern itself is currently in use (in various forms) with many countries around the world, notably several in Asia, L. America and the middle east in perhaps dozens of terrain specific color schemes. CADPAT (similar to MARPAT) is a rather more advanced/modern temperate woodland-scheme camo which aims to more effectively disrupt the outline of the body, hence the name CAnadian Disruptive Pattern. However it is entirely different than British DPM, which is the camo most commonly associated with the initials DPM. And yes it is also the same pattern which is shown in the Maharishi book "DPM". The official standard US cam BTW is US "woodland" which is moderately similar to DPM in color scheme but not in overall pattern.

Edited by Circa on Nov 11, 2005 at 10:43 PM

All DPM is camo, but not all camo is DPM - even though all the pictures posted have been good examples of disruptive patterns. Thanks for the clarification - I wasn't aware that the Brits were the single military responsible for the term 'DPM'.

And as far as the Maharishi book goes, I can't say that I've read it - I'm more of a vintage monocolour man. But of course if some prototype Waffen SS fell from the sky I’d most definitely make an exception!

Edited by jdavis on Nov 12, 2005 at 06:33 AM

Quote:

original BW parkas have pieces of plastic under the first layer on each shoulder so your shoulder doesn`t get wet when standing for hours in the rain, your G36 shouldered... this is also a good detail to tell fakes from issued ones

--- Original message by wotan on Nov 11, 2005 12:40 PM

the OP posted Communist East German Camo. More like an AK74 than a G36 you`d have shouldered. and wouldnt there be some kinda poncho issued for standing in the rain?

I dont have so much camo but the US Army issued IPFUs (Improved Physical Fitness Uniforms) are fuckin-A pyjamas

MILitary SPECificationS OO

Be Advised: Morgan Nixon AKA Moman631 AKA Moman6040 is a fraud.

Quote:
Quote: Since DPM is just an acronym for Disruptive Pattern Material, why wouldn't the US use DPM?

I read on Protein OS a while back that Maharishi had trademarked the term DPM, so now no one can use it without their permission.

--- Original message by sybaritical on Nov 12, 2005 09:32 AM

Well DPM has been in use by the Brits for decades now. Somehow I doubt Maharishi attempting to trademark the name will have any sway with the British armed forces or any other of the dozens of countries using DPM camo around the world.

As for the original question about the parka posted above... I personally can't tell from the one picture. Keep in mind however that most mil gear is designed with a high degree of modularity so that various other items can be attached/hung/stowed or interfaced in some way with other pieces of gear or kit. Maybe with more pics I could help figure it out.

And as for the additional layering in the shoulder areas... I would suspect that this feature was added so as to help strengthen or support the shoulders of the parka since this would be a high friction point when having a weapon shouldered.

Quote:

I can never figure out the sizing on those army clothes.. 117/104? WTF? I have a jacket here that simply says size 100. Confusing.

--- Original message by Tisswat on Nov 12, 2005 10:09 AM

I would guess that the 100 meant cm. 100cm = size 36 = size small. Although mil stuff is generally cut huge so a small is most likely still big.