american college football

brightbill

Pretty good opening weekend. I was at the beach for most of the day but saw enough to be amazed...

Thursday: I watched my school (1-AA) lose 28-0 to D-3 Ursinus, but got a free barbeque and t-shirt out of the deal so I was content. LSU showed some amazing stuff on both sides of the ball...

The "real" start: First off, Michigan. Arkansas lost a home game to The Citadel to open a season a couple years ago and their coach was immediately fired. In all honesty, though, there's no chance they lose to Oregon or let this game completely end their season... but, still, with the talent they have, this SHOULD be a BCS game season, and that dream is pretty much over. Wisconsin FTW in the conference.

Tenn vs. Cal - Tedford's team was amazing, simple. DeSean Jackson, obviously, but the rest of their skill position players also were about five levels faster than anything Tennessee could put up on defense.

Other than that, a load of mismatches and blowouts. Bad beat for the ACC trying to show last year was a fluke (NCST, Duke, Virginia with bad L's).

Still blown away by that Michigan game. The way it happened. Plus the fact that it was in Ann Arbor. Pretty standard opening weekend otherwise.

true true...shit blew my mind....in fact, im watching lloyd carr's news conference right now on espn...dudes on the hot seat...if they lose to oregon next week, i dunno man.

this is there first 3 game losing streak since 1979.

best game was the texas a&m one in 3 ovetimes.

My friend went to that game. He said he counted 6 people who passed out because of the heat and about twice as much who threw up. And that was just in his section and the next section over. Announcers said the heat index on the field at halftime was 140(!) degrees.

This will be a good season.

My friend went to that game. He said he counted 6 people who passed out because of the heat and about twice as much who threw up. And that was just in his section and the next section over. Announcers said the heat index on the field at halftime was 140(!) degrees.

a&m students are required by tradition to stand the entire game, right? dopes.

if michigan gives carr the sack during the season that would be amazing since they are a very upstanding program by i-a powerhouse standards. though the dude who kicked another player with his cleats is pretty bad, just like that hit doss put in during the bowl game that got john cooper fired.

In all honesty, though, there's no chance they lose to Oregon.

ha! but everyone and their mother was saying that last week.

lots of talk about Michigan but didn't see anything about ND? i love that both those teams are 0-2, esp those overrated fucks at South Bend

brightbill - you can quote me when my team gets torn up later this season: Rutgers will beat WV this year :)

a&m students are required by tradition to stand the entire game, right? dopes.

Not required. But if you don't, you might as well come to the game with a tampon hanging out of your ass. The only kids that don't stand have another school's colors on.

As for Devine, dude is a beast. Aside from Reggie, I haven't seen anyone make cuts on the fly like he does. I don't really have a problem with him paying dues and putting in work to have Slaton get his TD's. Would have liked to have seen them give him atleast one though. Goes a long way in building up a freshman player.

Again, him and McKnight from USC are going to be the faces of the Division I RB's for the next couple of years.

ha! but everyone and their mother was saying that last week.

lots of talk about Michigan but didn't see anything about ND? i love that both those teams are 0-2, esp those overrated fucks at South Bend

brightbill - you can quote me when my team gets torn up later this season: Rutgers will beat WV this year :)

Yea - and I'm from Oregon... just didn't think they were much better than what the Ducks showed to close last season... hmm. This week I'm thinking a 10-point win or so against Fresno.

Funny thing is, though, I'm going to a Philly school whose student body is like half Jersey kids, so Rutgers big season last year was never out of earshot. I was at a party that had last year's incarnation of that matchup on, and everybody cleared out of the basement and stopped flirting with drunk girls to watch the closing minutes of that game. Just to be an asshole, I cheered for WVU (and because their offense is pretty flipping sweet) and got kicked out at the conclusion of the game.

Good times.

• 2 months later...