Grinding/Distressing effect on t-shirt

Rockn

Yes, any DIY shop should sort you out.

Apart from just washing the garments an awful lot with a biological detergent, I don't know how to do a home-made enzyme wash. You need the chemicals. You'd probably be looking for cellulase for T shirts.

For silicone effect - just add a huge dose of fabric softener.

Hey not sure what sort of effect you are after. Is it you have low quality fabric and you want to improve hand. Or is it that you have bought low quality tshirts and you want to make them look worn and feel softer.

cause if you are starting from scratch you would be better off using a higher quality fabric. Note that silicon finish is temporary and is not-ironable (is but will lose feel quickly) and the effect of enzyme is to break down the cellulose fibres, in effect aging very quickly. Therefore will compromise shirts longevity.

Lots of options if you are actually making the shirt yourself? So let us know and i'll give you a run down. Some easy ways would be better yarn (ie carded<carded treated<carded sueded<combed<long staple combed etc) or you could try some yarn manipulated fabrics or poly blends to achieve the hand you want.

I hope indigo doesn't cause cancer...

... could you hand me the dental floss

Edited by johninger on Oct 30, 2005 at 09:01 PM

Well, I want to play around with different washes on different garments myself, so I don't have to pay my factory the high cost of samples.

So, I was thinking of getting some American apparel or Alternative apparel t-shirts and sweatshirts and experimenting with different types of washing techniques to see how it made them feel. So, I wanted to know if there was a way to do a type of enzye/silicone combo or a stone wash.

On the same note, Ringring told me a good tool that I could get to create that grinding affect that a lot of companies use.

Because I was in a store yesterday and I saw this shirt:

http://www.activeendeavors.com/product.asp?catid=3702&pfid=AED08894

It was an American Apparel shirt (could tell from the Made in USA tag), but you couldn't tell and it had a great feel because of whatever washing technique they had done. So, I want to see if I can achieve a similar feel.

Thanks guys.

No direspect to ringring but i dont think grinder will go in this instance. Might very well do but nature of knits (especially thin ones) is to pill alot on a grinding motion.

If i was doing this as a project in a laundry, i would do as follows.

Wash options - Enzyme wash, silicon (soft feel), if you are using a carded cotton with low memory it might even be worthwhile chucking an elastomeric finish with the rest, they tend to be complimentary.

physical options - instead of grinder use a brusher, ie machine that is used on front leg panels on jeans. Different models can be set up differently to move different patterns, so will depend on what you like.

At home - dont know where to start. Hard to get a hold of those chemicals in household quantities + many are not disposable down the drain, they will kill all the little fishies!!!!

I hope indigo doesn't cause cancer...

... could you hand me the dental floss

No direspect to ringring but i dont think grinder will go in this instance. Might very well do but nature of knits (especially thin ones) is to pill alot on a grinding motion.

No problem Johninger. It's good to have a broad range of opinions and my participation on this forum is to learn as much as give my own point of view.

I still think a small grinder, such as a Dremel, will be fine for the application suggested by Rokn (edge wear on the collar, sleeves and waist). Although making small holes with a knife or scissors will probably do a reasonable job too. I guess you could mimic an industrial brusher using a brush attachment on the Dremel.

Rockn - a few of the enzymes used in domestic detergents are the same as those used in industrial enzyme washes. eg. Amylase (for starch), Protase (for proteins eg blood/grass stains) & Lipases (for fat/oil stains). The only one you're probably not going to find is a cellulase based product. (cellulase 'eats' the cotton fibres - so will 'age' the jersey).

They can cause skin reactions and allergies - hence many 'baby-detergents' are enzyme free.