BEST Affordable Sectional/Sofa

heBAY

Posted this question in the "Cheap Furniture in NYC" thread last night, but since deleted with the realization that it will probably be overlooked and is relevant enough to warrant the birth of a new topic (IMOIMOIMO).

Basically...the wife and I looking for a sectional that will be affordable but (bear with me)...the best quality for the price tag. I ask this because some furniture designers are obviously (or rumored to be) overpriced (DWR).

Our choices thus far are between:

-West Elm

-Room & Board

-BoConcept

-CB2

-Crate & Barrel (although we like more designs at CB2)

-EQ3

Spending range is preferred to top off at $3G'z...but shit, sectionals come in pieces so I guess that gives us a little room as far as the spending cap.

We fancy the low profile/modular-styled sectional.

I've been reading the comments in Apt. Therapy's "Best of" and those have helped quite a bit in forming an opinion or confusing me even more.

We will not do Ikea.

We can't afford Ligne Roset. We went in there yesteray and had the urge to simply jump on shit...due to the feeling of unrelenting helplessness that pulsated under our skin after spying those quaint laminated price tags.

I was looking at DWR's website and the do have some sectionals just a little bit over your price range. Another option if you are willing to spend up to 3,000 is getting something custom made. Just find a picture of a sofa you like and have it recreated. If you choose that option it would probably end up cheaper and you have the option of using really quality products for the upolstery and seat cushions.

True...but is EQ3 the best bang for the buck as far as "affordable quality"...

Also, where/how would I go about custom building a sectional. I'm a newborn to this furniture game...all's I know thus far is that "you get what you pay for," "get something you love 'cause you're going to live with it," "disposable furniture doesn't logically exist," and whatever else GimmeGimme has graced us with (no ball eating).

I would say that EQ3 is just a slight step up from Ikea. In regards to having custom furniture built I would just hit up the phone book and start calling some places. Go pay them a visit and have them show you some of the previous work they have done. I'm not sure how it is in NYC but in Toronto we have two areas of town where the majority of furniture stores are located. Basically you can hit up 15 to 20 furniture stores within a 3 block radius.

This is kind of passed a "just out of college" situation...we'll probably be living here for a long minute and are already regretting (getting ready to toss out) some of the furniture choices from our previous apt.

IKEA for a sectional...we've heard too much in terms of "not for the long run" that we don't even want to waste our time nor money. Granted, we aren't about to hop up to Ligne Roset or some other high end shit and cop a sectional for $10 g's or higher...and fuck financing...but still...there should be some affordable, quality product out there.

i haven't had any experience with most of the listed furniture makers, seeing as i live in canada, but here's my $0.02.

bo concept is so boring. their stuff looks highly uncomfortable -- i assume that if you're reading apartment therapy you want something that is liveable and comfortable, and.... perching on a rectangular rock-hard foam block does not sound liveable.