1. 1. The Beatles vs. The Stones

• The Beatles (John and Paul)
    • The Stones (Mick and Keith)

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Total apples to oranges argument here.

not reaaally...i mean they are of course very different musically, but apparently back when they both came out, you were either a stones fan or a beatles fan

beatles all the way. John is the fuckin man! His cynicism is just as relevant now as it was back then. Their songs are well written pieces of art. They truly pioneered the way modern albums sound and are recorded. They were also the first studio band

i actually took a course on the beatles when i attended UC Santa Cruz. It was a sweet class and an easy A

not reaaally...i mean they are of course very different musically, but apparently back when they both came out, you were either a stones fan or a beatles fan

or a Who fan

or a Kinks fan

or a Small Faces fan

or a Spencer Davis Group fan

or a...

could go on forever. There were a lot of groups.

my pops told me that when he was growing up, you were either a stones fan and liked fucking girls, or a beatles fan and like whining about how you couldn't fuck any girls.

that said, george harrison is my favorite songwriter out of both bands; though, as kunk said, some girls (the entire album) is so entirely hysterical it blows anything the beatles did out of the water. my problem with the beatles is that they simultaneously cared too much and not enough what other people thought. the stones legitimately didn't give a fuck, and they wrote like it without launching into zeppelin (which i also love) land of two hour jpj masterbatory sessions.

the beatles were pop, the stones were rock. that's all.

• 2 weeks later...
well, i made a decision on The Cure vs. The Smiths.

If you include morrissey's solo career, then it is the smiths

but if you don't, then i'm afraid it is still the smiths, just not by as much of a margin

just thought i'd share that

truf

morrissey

In short, The Beatles:

Two iconic bands....Stones were/are much more derivative than The Beatles..they were very heavily influenced by American r&b....the Beatles were influenced by American rock and roll but the music they made defies classification..it's a genre unto itself..their pure fuckin' genius is scary.

The Beatles were much more a studio band than the Stones. George Martin was/is a supreme innovator. His recording techniques were ground breaking.

It's a misconception that The Beatles didn't rock...Back in the USSR, Day Tripper,I Feel Fine. Girls. Help, A Hard Day's Night, I'm Down etc etc...they made not be an example of what you consider rock but it was definitely rock....also, check this obscure gem out...one of my all time favs..you'll never hear better RnR vocals

y35QDoRysWE

McCartney doesn't receive much love in this thread but he composes perfect pieces and is a master musician...he plays all instruments on his first solo album.

The Stones were/are a live act with the best front person in rock history. Today,in their 60's Mick & Keith still put on an explosive show...just watch "Shine a Light"

That being said, just listen to this live version of "Gimme Shelter" from the Unreleased 1972 Decca album. Mick Taylor fuckin' wails some intense solos...remember, he's got blues roots in the Bluesbreakers a la Clapton and Peter Green(original Fleetwood Mac)and is influenced By Beck (Jeff)...speaking of Beck, I don't believe anyone mentioned The Yardbirds as one of the great bands of the era(skimmed the thread quickly) but any band that featured Clapton, Page and Beck is certainly iconic....anyway, I ramble...this is definitely the best version of Gimme Shelter I've ever heard. In fact, it's one of the best live performances I've ever heard.

GsM5Q79huxU

It's a misconception that The Beatles didn't rock...Back in the USSR, Day Tripper,I Feel Fine. Girls. Help, A Hard Day's Night, I'm Down etc etc...they made not be an example of what you consider rock but it was definitely rock....also, check this obscure gem out...one of my all time favs..you'll never hear better RnR vocals

how could you forget helter skelter!? A song he wrote in response to the critics that said that the beatles arent a rockin band. If memory serves me correct, it was the first song to use reverb?

my dad summed up his dislike of the beatles by describing them as "parent approved"

maybe up until 65......after that it was the drug years............and maybe its parent approved because thats what our parents listened to when they were youths?

my dad summed up his dislike of the beatles by describing them as "parent approved"

While I understand one not wanting to deify The Beatles, I can't fathom how one could actually dislike them. Anyone with any knowledge of music or of pop culture needs to give them much respect and acknowledge their impact.

@Zubin: Helter Skelter is indeed a prime example of Beatles rock...thanks for pointing out the omission