South Korea Riots from a month or so ago

Esdece

just need some clarity in the story

As far as I gathered from the few news reports I saw..there was a massive revolt against US meat being imported into the country and this turned into huge riots, violence, police blockades..this was due to the common perception that American beef contained the UK based (and enclosed) mad cow disease/foot and mouth disease..

There has never been a case outside of the UK and it certainly never spread across the Atlantic to the US..(under my best belief, also the Americans seem to have quite high scrutiny and regulation systems on their international exports)

I'm just wondering what spiked this rumor and why did so many people react to it violently..Was it purely a blind anti-American ideal adopted by the Korean people, or were they led by some kind of propaganda to raise suspicion in the American market perhaps by a rivaling market or local market..?

It seemed like a baffling conclusion by the Korean youth to take to the streets and destroy and disturb..can someone clear this up, perhaps a local..?

These have been going on for awhile now, since last year. I think the ban has been lifted since last summer, but as cyberPUNK said, there was a case of mad cow detected in Canada around 2003, and imports were banned in Asia, following. They occasionally find mad cow in the spines of import carcasses from time to time when the imports are in quarantine, and shut the whole batch down, but who is to say that is really true at all, considering the circumstances and parties involved in Korea.

The ban has been lifted in Japan as well, and they've carried on as normal, but Koreans like to bitch about anything they can, so this was a good opportunity for them to bag on the new president and demonstrate. The local farmers joined in and put some weight behind all of it, since they sell domestic beef at 4-8X the American import price, and most domestic farm industries are in pretty bad danger of being shut out by the inevitable free-trade agreements that will come about in the near future, so they've been pissed off for quite awhile now. Since '04 though, choices have been Australian beef or Korean beef. The domestic beef is nice and rivals Japanese domestic beef in quality, but at the supermarket it equates to about $50 for a steak.

Guest umhaha84

To be honest, it's a fight between MBC vs. gov't

MBC has been openly yapping about the current government, and when they aired a show Called PD,Note about Mad Cow Disease. They showed some unrealistic and some retarded statistics, which upsetted a lot of people in Korea. Especially youths,,,,

as a result people, (mostly youth) went out to the streets blocking roads and shit no violence at this point. shit erupted when Korean polices started beating people down,,,,,which resulted in more people coming out to the streets,,,,

So that whole garbage was caused by

RETARDED MBC + RETARDED YOUTH + RETARDED POLICE

ps. to eat nice Kalbi in korea,,,costs around 60 a head and we get about half the size compared to us.

werd, combine all of that plus the internet 'netizens', and you have people seething over things they don't even know about. Frankly they're only hurting themselves, because the US has yielded to all of their demands (de-boning, strict quarantines) and they're still not happy, and turning it away as if they have a choice. Wait for the global food price thing to hit the Korean markets, and it will inevitably happen when supplies are low enough to just not offer it to Koreans anymore, and wait for the next round of riots to begin.

It's pretty hard to go out for low-end beef in Seoul anymore, unless you're going for $30 Australian steaks, or McDiddlies.

It's pretty hard to go out for low-end beef in Seoul anymore, unless you're going for $30 Australian steaks, or McDiddlies.

i remember the kalbi stores in Hongdae by the train tracks used to have fucking awesome deals, something like 6-7,000 won/serving for kalbi sal but not anymore!

will your tacos be us beef or australian? law states that any venue serving to more than thirty people at one time must state where your beef is from...WHATCHYA SERVING DUDE???

anyways the beef protest have died out now. primary focus is on women's archery and handball.

wtf.

Word, I remember those days fondly. I was even around back when those were all dirt roads around the train tracks and down by the thing they did up for the World Cup!! My 단골 place in Shinchon called 숯불something마을 was happily serving up 8,000W/per galbi sal, then all of this beef nonsense hit and I came back to Korea and it was all pork and they had changed their name to 돼지새끼. :( Seems so ungraceful.

Sadly, we can't have beef at the beginning, as far as I am thinking. Unless prices and the frenzy has dropped since I was there last, it's just too expensive and not worth it. I'm gonna have a dope chorizo that I hope makes up for the 3rd meat choice.

ware to kop cheap kalbi?

Majang Dong be the secret spot to kop your kalbi son. Its a wholesale meat market district and it just smells of flesh and blood but the cuts there are fawking fresh and good.

Definitely try the kalbi-sashimi. Raw shit for the raw digger types.

Another good spot be up in Wangsimni. Tons of meat markets up in that side of the hood.

I got that on lock, 'essnic sosehjee' for them gooks. Californians will probably start a shrine in our name. I'm gonna stuff those fuckers with like 80%목살/20% beef fat and spices, plenty of ground garlic and pimientos, and beat everyone to the chorizo boom.

Man, those places around the tracks and around 연대앞 had like 2-3,000/per samgyubsal back in the day and they used to be decent. We used to go in there, rack up 120,000W bills even when we ate like $25 worth of food. Wait til these global food shortage prices kick in and samgyubsal goes up to like 8,000per at the cheapest places.

chorizo rolls < 50 jap bitches on your front lawn

this is why you should get out of your place, and throw down on the yankee-style house in Ilsan or something with us. If mass and the boy with the golden closet come, we'd get away with $400/month rent a piece and I will put it in writing that there will be at least 50 drunken Japanese girls on our lawn at all times, even in the depths of January.

We been looking at all the whitey-friendly realty sites; this place wouldn't be bad and i think the lawn can fit 50 drunk Japanese girls:

http://nicerent.com/mn_seoul_real_estate_advenced/advenced_search_detail.asp?intidxNum=1688&strSearch=AND%20(%20Type%20IN%20('Single_Family_House')%20%20AND%20Pricekrw%20BETWEEN%202000000%20AND%203000000)%20&strCboSelVal=

Nah, boy with the golden closet is on that Asian sz 46 tip, he's an MVP. You are probably the same size as the ninja of sleaze and mrip though, so you can guys can get chummy.

I was hoping that one of the 50 drunken Japanese girls on our lawn was gonna come in to make tamago-yaki and miso soup in the mornings though, I don't wake up til 2. I already have winq on a carefully crafted plan to style on many people at once and round up beezys from the time we land in Seoul.

Guest umhaha84

if any of you want gobchang(곱창) there's a place called hwang so gop chang ( 황소곱창) in Seoul University area, can't remember where exactly,,,,you could probably find it on www.naver.com , btw they're gobchang is THE best gobchang I had in my life.

i wouldn't call it a riot, more like a national picnic with metal box buses.

i remember paying like 70k won for aussie steak meal last year; it wasn't even that great.:confused: