Raw jeans art project in LA for The Brewery Art Walk

aan den rijn

Well since all of our raw denim jeans have different looks after a while, I think they reflect pretty well what we ourselves went through during the time. My pair of New Cures, for example, after a year and half, have blood stains, broken stitches, holes, and all that shit. Im sure some of you guys can do better. In any case, I want to do an art show at a space we have at the Brewery in LA - an art colony - since I know a bunch of kids living there. But I only have three pairs of raw denim and that aint gonna fly. I do, know, however, that you guys are probably the people I am looking for to borrow some gnarly, fucked up jeans for a weekend for display.

Im not going to have too much text explaining the thing. They will be hung on a clothline, lit, in a large room, with tags saying location of where they are from, time they were worn, brand/fit, and owners name. They wont be for sale (unless you want to, I guess), its sort of an experiment to see if jeans themselves en masse could be art.

This might take more planning than I can handle before November 1st (art walk time) here in LA. We might have to do this in the spring, but Im just doing an interest check to see who is down for this. I need maybe 15 - 20 pairs, the more worn the better. Im gonna throw my New Cures into the mix because theyve been in Boston, China, Vermont, LA, Chicago, Montreal, and a bloody incident in Hollywood (long story). If you guys have comments or suggestions, it would be great. It might look a bit boutiquey, but I will try to let the jeans make their own statements. Tell their own stories, that kind of stuff. I cant imagine too many people doing something like this (dont steal my idea please haha).

Oh yeah and Im borrowing the jeans, so you ship them to me and Ill ship them back. I dont want to wear your jeans anyway. Interest check? Comments? Suggestions? I dont have a picture of the place (left my camera at work) but it is a very large space and we can get some very decent lights Im sure. We might even do some photography of the jeans to sell them to make some money back since all this would be free.

Art Walk link: http://www.breweryartwalk.com/index.html

Spring one is in April.

What do you guys think?