Sign in to follow this  
DüM

Software Discussion Thread

Post software you like, new and old. Discuss.

I just found Times, it's an RSS reader that arranges your feeds into a newspaper. If you don't have a crazy amount of feeds it's really cool.

picture1bj4.png

Schoolhouse is also a really useful homework/project manager that calculates grades as well.

schoolhouse-header.png

what good blogs that post new software often?

ableton live 7

what does everyone use?

i use live 7 for mixes, logic pro 8 for production/mastering

Post software you like, new and old. Discuss.

Schoolhouse is also a really useful homework/project manager that calculates grades as well.

schoolhouse-header.png

I prefer Assignment Planner. I originally used School House and enjoyed it, though some things weren't quite intuitive. Then when I upgraded to Leopard, it completely broke the program. The developer didn't seem to care much so I made the switch. Assignment Planner costs $8 though I think its well worth it.

i use live 7 for mixes, logic pro 8 for production/mastering

yeh yah maybe not approp threak.. tis a good ting though.

what do you mix?

ableton live 7

what does everyone use?

Logic Pro 8 and Sibelius 5 =)

I was just about to make this thread again. My G5 just shat the bed and I'l probably be on a new machine soon. I always find new programs when I'm setting up a new computer.

Right now I use

Coda - so good for hand-coding, it has features for more intuitive CSS shit, but I always feel more comfortable doing it by hand. It also allows you to preview without opening another browser.

Sparrow - much better than mail.app in my opinion. really like this one.

Flux - found out about this in the desktops thread (thanks doug). Adjusts your monitors tone at night.

^ vim > emacs

*All things bolded are links to software downloads.

Caffeine – Keeps your monitor alive, none of that automatic dimming bullshit. Useful for when you're reading/etc. (OSX)

Things – Getting Things Done (productivity) software. Clean, minimal and synchs with my iPhone.

Freemind – Knowledge mind-mapping software. I use this both for school (mechanistic physiology) and for keeping random information (anything from bicycle assembly to keeping tabs on the Iraq war).

Notational Velocity – Low-friction notepaper method, fragments for everything go here, from recipes to random data bits. Instantly searchable with low drag. Also syncs with my phone using SimpleNote.

WriteRoom – Low-overhead writing software, helps to just get text out without worrying about semantics / presentation.

SelfControl – Terminates all network connections for predefined time. Good for distraction-free [insert task here]

Anki –Spaced memorization software, good for memorizing large swathes of information efficiently.

Visor – System-wide Terminal access for OSX. Unobtrusive, minimal Terminal access when you need it.

I also use Transmission, PS3 Media Server, Quicksilver sometimes, and a lot of Terminal commands (sftp, vim, cron and the like).

dope, I use Things and Transmission every day as well.

I just started using Fontcase and I really like it. I think It's just less overall robust than the other font managers and it works well for me. I need to get back into learning Processing so I can pretend I'm 2000db

annnd I use LESS with Coda. it adds some nice functionality to CSS.

GNOME vs xfce GUI which do you guys think is better. Currently running openbox on #! but I want to dip my fingers in something else.