Hezbollah Hommeâ„¢ Winter 2006

RedFoxxworth

Nom de Guerre and SVSV are doing it, and I think a trend is brewing...

Arabic writing and imagery suggest danger and subversion to Westerners. To what extend do you think this will be capitalized upon by the design and fashion industries?

Actin' bad like a kid at Six Flags...

the arabic thing has been going on for a minute-Supreme flipped there box logo a year or so ago as well as those umbro jerseys with the arabic and had that arabic print hat last season.-as well as GDEH had some references too and i think anything might have had a shirt using arabic text as well

Quote:

the arabic thing has been going on for a minute-Supreme flipped there box logo a year or so ago as well as those umbro jerseys with the arabic and had that arabic print hat last season.-as well as GDEH had some references too and i think anything might have had a shirt using arabic text as well

--- Original message by bloden on Oct 18, 2005 01:10 PM

that was hebrew thunny

Designs inspired by Arabic culture / language are only going to seem 'dangerous' to bigots and morons (which may sometimes apply to the people wearing the designs just as much as those observing them). I guess there's a risk of it being cultural tourism as well (Arabic script as the new Kanji?), although a case could also be made for it being a celebration of a culture that is misunderstood / maligned by many in the west.

Whatever. I doubt I'll be wearing any of SVSV or NdG shit anyway.

Edited by Yakboy Equals Nurturer on Oct 20, 2005 at 11:12 AM

Quote:

Designs inspired by Arabic culture / language are only going to seem 'dangerous' to bigots and morons (which may sometimes apply to the people wearing the designs just as much as those observing them). I guess there's a risk of it being cultural tourism as well (Arabic script as the new Kanji?), although a case could also be made for it being a celebration of a culture that is misunderstood / maligned by many in the west.

Whatever. I doubt I'll be wearing any of SVSV or NdG shit anyway.

Edited by Yakboy Equals Nurturer on Oct 20, 2005 at 11:12 AM

--- Original message by Yakboy Equals Nurturer on Oct 20, 2005 11:12 AM

Good points. I would add:

Let's say you are, or look like you could be of Arab descent, or sympathetic to Islam for any stereotypical reason (being black, for instance), and you are wearing a shirt with Arabic script, it could be dangerous to you if a bigoted moron, esp. one working for a Crusading government, becomes suspicious of you.

ask a cassowary

Sorry yo, it's not bigoted for Arabic to seem subversive or scary...

It's just the world today.

Anyone wearing a shirt with arabic on it will get mad weird looks from everyone in America. Just a fact.

Actin' bad like a kid at Six Flags...