France, on the cheap

broneck

Dolly and I are looking at 2 weeks in france next may (after the school year). As students, we will be broke, but not really looking to backpack and stay in 7 different hostels. Essentially, looking for recomendations regarding a few cheap but nice hotels...areas around / outside of paris worth checking out, and how to do them on a budget. Help is appreciated.

paris has plenty of inexpensive hotels, esp if you stay 15 minutes outside the city...i've also read that since there are tons of little inns, and you can usually get a deal if you're persistent and mention prices you've read in guide books and whatnot.

it's just hard to pick one if there are 30 to choose from...

France is really not the best place to go when you are broke, why there?

That's not true man ! I guess you think about Paris but there are some other large cities... Paris is special ok, but it's just a small part of the country.

You should spend a couple of days only in Paris, during sales for example, then head to Bordeaux, Toulouse (hometown, best night life), Montpellier, Marseille or Lyon.

Plenty of parisian fashion shops have been established by rednecks from south-west or south-east france.