supermeatheads

kunk75

Yeah. like are trying to add more weight w/ each set of 5 or are you keeping the weight the same?

I think both are pretty good tactics. 5 x 5s are always fun

ahhh gotcha. im thinking stay the same, and just make the increases from workout to workout. i only work out in my home gym so i would have to be constantly changing the same bar with varying weights

ill see how this goes

how much cardio is too much cardio when it comes to gaining muscle mass but losing fat?

my body is starting to go bear mode, and id rather not give up beer and in n out to keep my gut small.

today i rode a bike for 25 minutes "burned" 280 calories and then did a leacto type workout, instead of pullup tho i did ohp and sit ups. 20 sit ups, 10 hang cleans, 8 ohp. did that 6 times in a circuit of 3, 2 ,1 with 65lbs.

too much? too little?

aside from conditioning work. I think almost any cardio is "too much" cardio if you're main goal is to gain muscle.

even when my main focus is to lose fast, I don't do any cardio besides conditioning work (which can be seen as cardio to some).

I leave everything up to very calculated and deliberate dietary planning.

Are we all thinking of cardio as the same thing? For some, that means strictly long distances and medium pace. Like Jog 5K+, ride the bike, swim, etc.

Or do some people think of it as any anaerobic exercise that you're not just lifting weight hard?

I don't know the answer, but I thought you could still lose some fat/water and gain muscle in certain areas doing explosive anaerobic work. For instance, yesterday I did rounds of 21, 15, and 9 reps of 115lb front squat to overhead press combined w/ 70# kettlebell swings. This was done as fast as possible, but the weight was relatively heavy. I'm helping my metabolism to burn fat as well as gain muscle from the weights, right?

Last fall I lost 20 lbs over a period of 10 weeks while still putting on some muscle and maintaining strength. I did very little cardio.

I hit the treadmill twice a week (30 min each session) but always in the morning on an empty stomach or immediately post-workout.

I've been following Chris Aceto's (diet guru) thread on bb.com and one of his basic principles is that it's better to eat less and do less cardio when you're trying to put on mass. Of course, the guys he works with are juiced but I've found that his principles have worked for me. Diet manipulation is the key.

I copied this from one of his posts:

"A lot's changed in the last 15 years or so in terms of pre contest prep for bodybuilding shows. One of the new mainstays is cardio. The mantra is; cardio burns fat so it should rip you up. But does it? My experience is that there is a happy medium to be followed and it's truly a fine line. Don't do enough and you wont be in shape (possibly...there's always the right diet which can get you there with almost no cardio) Do too much and your muscles lose that "hard" look and lack the "pop" and eye catching roundness.

I recently worked with Troy Alves who won the Europa pro show and he did far less cardio then earlier in the year where he was 11th in the Ironman. How did he do it? He did cardio on the right days, at the right intensity and allowed a better diet to strip away the body fat. The end result; his muscles had that "pop" that gave him an edge over the competition.

I am a believer in less food and less cardio. Its sort of the opposite of conventional thinking; more cardio and more food. ... He (Troy) was eating about 2000 calories a day."

Fuck I ache today, changed my sets up a bit from Stronglifts (warmups plus straight 5x5) to 3 warmup sets and 2 work sets and figured that meant I could go heavier, despite having had 2 weeks off. Jumped my squat from 100kg to 110, OHP from 40-50 and deadlift from 60-90. My legs were shaking by the end of the squats and that continued for the rest of my workout. Then I did BJJ 4 hours later, which was only my second lesson back for a month due to a cold.

Hey chairy, how is training with **** going? I have to say, my three months are almost up and I feel like it's been somewhat of a waste of money and time. My lift's haven't increased much at all in months, I haven't gotten much bigger, and I still feel jipped for the lack of diet advice....maybe its my fault for not voicing my opinion more to him but I really did trust that my lifts would have been increased a ton by now.

Think I'm just gonna go back to spbr and stay on that for as long as possible....or maybe a wsb routine...

Anyone doing any wsb btw? I'm so confused as to how their workouts work really. Like ME and DE and all that.

it's going extremely well on my end so far. I've gotten bigger and stronger in the past 3 weeks.

heck, in 3 weeks time, my 3" deficit deadlifts poundage is almost at where I was doing regular deadlifts.

can't speak about my squat numbers yet though because I've been doing paused atg squats, but they've been climbing every week too.

whoever came up with the idea to do a 20 rep squat was on some crazy shit. i did my first 20 rep set with a serious weight (185) and it was fckin hell. i felt drunk afterwards and almost ran into a smith machine.

try doing the full smolov program, base + intense

never want to see a barbell again atm

try doing the full smolov program, base + intense

never want to see a barbell again atm

NOOOOO THANK YOU! lol. i go to the gym cuz i enjoy it, not necessarily cuz of the aesthetic or physical gains. im probably going to drop that whole 20 rep thing once it gets to the point that it hurts days after i do the exercise. hopefully i get to 2 plates before that happens. for that 185, after 10 minutes i was feeling completely normal with no soreness so i still have some ways to go before it starts to really really hurt.

@bchhun http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/antibodybuilding_hypertrophy_program