Stocks, who here invests?

masuerte

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my dad wants me to get into daytrading

it does interest me ... but im a big risk taker, and love gambling ... so i dunno if itd work out well. (or maybe thats where all the moneys made?)

I wanna start out with an online e-trade account but i looked at what you need to sign up for it and it seemed like alot of stuff

My Chinese from college had £30,000 ($60k) to invest in Tesco shares (massive UK company) back in 2005, but he got into gambling and.....well most of it was wasted on that. He would've had made crazy amounts if he invested (share price grew 50% I think).

Absolutely useless anecdote, but yeh, dont gamble.

Might be looking at 52wk high for V today, very impressive.

I also got back in AAPL at 182 in anticipation for the WWDC in June. Exciting times.

careful...I've followed aapl since it was at 13...

Aapl has been known to rise on rumors and drop on fact with very few exceptions. Theres very little they can do at wwdc that would make the price go up as expectations are already super high.

Guest spazzz

Aapl has been known to rise on rumors and drop on fact with very few exceptions. Theres very little they can do at wwdc that would make the price go up as expectations are already super high.

when the fuck was it 13? you must really go back a ways, like maybe 10 years now? I've been in at the last split at 40. Pretty ridiculous, it's a 500+% return thus far.

buy on rumors, sell on news amirite :D

anyways, With it dipping back down to 182 at close today and hitting a lot of resistance, I should be in good shape. It's a long distance runner for me, I'll be keeping my stake in it at least until 200+ and then taste some profit.

thats just me.

hey thanks ys! hopefully im successful enough to accomplish the real deal:D

I still keep my simulator going even as I started using real money, simply because I can be more ballsy and analyze my plays at the end of the week.

Guest Montreal
jesus you're trying to get in at RIMM now? It hopped up 30 points since last month, not worried there will be any pullback?

Pullback? There already was a pullback - it was called Jan-Feb-Mar. While I personally don't agree with getting in at this point, you're better late than never...

jesus you're trying to get in at RIMM now? It hopped up 30 points since last month, not worried there will be any pullback?

Im gonna ride it for a month. Their conference at the start of may usually pumps some energy into the stock as well as better then expected sales, will help it climb ~10%. Nevertheless, I will still be watching closely for any drop.

Guest spazzz
Buying my first stock on Monday. Several shares of RIMM(supposed to rise 14%+ this month). Any other good stock for a beginner trying to get acclimated to the whole thing?

buying rimm now is pretty ridiculous. it's like trying to get into google now. anyways, i'd almost say blackberry is losing it's grip on the market, especially after apple does their SDK relaunch in june.

does anyone remember in 05 when RIMM jumped like 30points in one day? i did well that day

Guest Montreal

One thing I never unstood is why people try and gain entry to these pricey stocks buy purchasing shares outright as opposed to trading options. I bought a half dozen contracts for AAPL OCT 200 calls a while back and I would *NEVER* be able to afford 600 shares of AAPL @ $200/share (it would cost me $120,000 before fees). My contracts cost me just over $6,000. Seems like a no brainer to me, but then again, I'm a licensed derivatives trader so...

Good luck with RIMM. They follow the EXACT same charting pattens as AAPL so we should both be in for a wild ride.

I still think that RIMM has a lot of life left; they still haven't penetrated the Asian market as fully as they should be, especially Japan/China/India and with the new 3G roll-out they should be able to cover more ground. Plus, the consumer base is waay too big and devoted to switch to the iPhone for business purposes. The mail-exchange/infrastructural server side software for iPhone isn't at the same level as the BlackBerry.

If APPL and RIMM have high correlation, why not just go long RIMM, short APPL as a hedge, and maybe even sell some way out of the money calls on RIMM for added income?

Seems a no brainer for me....

Guest Montreal

Yikes.

Irrespective of whether or not RIMM and AAPL's correlation is a perfect +1, you would have to be insane to short AAPL right now (unless you're a daytrader trying to snake a quick point or two from the profit-takers at week's end).

Yikes.

Irrespective of whether or not RIMM and AAPL's correlation is a perfect +1, you would have to be insane to short AAPL right now (unless you're a daytrader trying to snake a quick point or two from the profit-takers at week's end).

*waves from the RIMM train*

Enjoying that fun ride today. Hopefully it stays on its projected 15%+ increase for the month.

Insane? I'm looking at the market from a two-quarter horizon; at least until the end of the year. I'm fairly certain that growth in apple related products is going to slow. But again, its a hedge, I'm not looking to profit on both positions. If the industry goes sour, I won't lose my tail and still pocket a good premium from the call.

More fuel to add to the fire....RIMM grabs exception in South Korea to use Blackberries....

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121056445828884017.html?mod=todays_asia_marketplace

3G rollout...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121055484519184103.html?mod=todays_asia_marketplace

i have about 30k in various stocks (mostly pharma, only because i know a lot about the industry) but im in for the long haul. if i get 7-8% a year, I'm more than happy (i don't).

I think I'll be getting another ~50k to invest soon. I've been looking at mutual funds, but my impression so far is that the good ones are all limited to people with much more capital and connections.

That being said, I don't know a thing about trading really. It seems the money isn't in long-run investments any more, at least for people without big money, but I don't think I could handle the pressure of having a completely different portfolio at the end of any given month than at the beginning.

why don't you take a look at ETF's?

ETFs are like mutual funds but traded like stocks, and can be liquidated at anytime.

You can buy index etfs (ones that mimic the SP500, Dow Jones Industrial Average, Nasdaq, etc.) as wel as sector ETFs like technology, oil, metals, etc.