Western/Plaid Shirts

skiniks

I haven't tried on the Skull shirts yet, but I wouldn't say that Sugarcane shirts are more of a "budget shirt" [which seems to be what you're implying]. They might not "feel" as sturdy as my Flatheads, but I think the biggest difference is the fit. Flatheads are slimmer, while Sugarcanes are a bit boxier, which I actually prefer.

Live and die by Flat Head...

Though the Sugarcane cuts are quite okay if you aren't anemic like I am. Skull is fucking pricey but I love the texture and color they have for their westerns.

Guest chemi

oh yeah fookums, i love my SC shirts too. there's hardly a noticable quality difference versus FHs, i just noticed that the shirts i run across are cheaper in terms of pricing.

Flat Head's ‘winter’ season flannels have a different inner lining that doesn't affect the thickness but feels twice as insulated. Mmmmm fuck I'm pissed that shit sold out.

I've never handled a Sugar Cane western but I like their patterns more than Flat Heads. Of the two Flat Head westerns I own, I definitely think they are one of the best constructed shirts I've ever seen. If you are looking for the slim western, it would be my recommendation.

+1 for the levis. The ones I have in S are slim, but straight.

As much as I like all of the Flat Head stuff, I couldn't get myself to buy one of the western s/s shirts I tried on at Self Edge. Loved the feel, look, and the details, but the smaller sizes (38 in my instance) had too much waist suppression for my tastes and wound up looking a little too feminine. Didn't seem as pronounced on the larger sizes. In all honesty, I think those shirts in smaller sizes look better on the ladies.

Would love to find a western shirt for the slimmer dudes from one of the Japanese repro companies with more of the levis fit, but with the quality and details the repro guys are known for.

I didn't know Redmoon made westerns but I definitely am feeling Corter's pickup. On the pricey side though, especially with that damn exchange rate.

exchange rate is like 101 yen / $1.00 right now, which is pretty good. the past 6 months it's hovered around 109-113 yen / $1.00, so i saved like $30 ordering while it was low. added bonus i guess.

DenimJunkie. Athough not plaid (it's denim), Not too popular here, but it's a small business, it's got hella awesome details (inside and out), and it's cool as shit.

Also has a version in white.

When levis does it's semi-annual sales you can pick up some solid shirts for really cheap. I got one with a great subtle pattern for $15 last year.

i recommend vintage as well. a goodwill shirt tailored to perfection will set you back about 25 bucks.you might have to spend upwards of $20 at some vintage shops prior to tailoring. you cant find some plaid ones on ebay for pretty cheep as well. i have not found one that does not need a little tailoring for my frame.

If you want indestructable, try Iron Heart... apparently their shirts are bulletproof too.

I'm sure 100% of the people that wear these do not do anything that is even remotely damaging in them. Never understood the appeal of absorbitantly high-priced Japanese western shirts. They take designs that are readily available for $10-20 from Wrangler, Ely etc. and then charge $200 for them. Not like they are going to last you 10x as long (probably last you less time).

I have alot of western shirts, but my favorites come from actual western brands at places like Shepler's, etc:

http://www.sheplers.com/mens/solid_color/western_long_sleeve/apparel/

http://www.sheplers.com/mens/plaids_stripes/western_long_sleeve/apparel/

The "Shepler's Classic" shirt is great for $20.

To get a really good, slim fit with most of these brands, however, you generally have to size down at least 1 or 2 sizes. Hell, you can even get them tailored to a perfect fit for $15 at an alterations place. Still far more enticing than a Flathead shirt.

I occasionally find some great western shirts at Ralph Lauren stores/outlets as well.

Everyone needs one of these, haha:

http://www.sheplers.com/mens/patriotic_apparel/092265.html

I'm sure 100% of the people that wear these do not do anything that is even remotely damaging in them. Never understood the appeal of absorbitantly high-priced Japanese western shirts. They take designs that are readily available for $10-20 from Wrangler, Ely etc. and then charge $200 for them. Not like they are going to last you 10x as long (probably last you less time).

the flathead houndstooth that i had for a few days was about 5x as thick as any flannel I've ever felt. I used to think the same, but i've owned a lot of real "Western" brands and non of the flannel stuff has even come remotely close to quality or construction of japanese stuff.

as far as the price goes, a lot of rockmount and other western brands cost between $60-85, whereas sugarcane shirts are $80-110, it's usually not that bad. I own my fair share of plain old eddie bauer flannels and old navy as well, don't get me wrong...just nice to have 2 or 3 really nice ones to wear when i want something dfferent.