90's QB Hip Hop ASIDE From Illmatic/It Was Written Saved My Life!

heBAY

Spot I still may have most of those songs....though i lost a lot of shit from a HD crash...fuck.

I'm not sure what Nore verse you're talkin' about...nor the moose maze nate joint about "drug house/in and out"...but i shall check it check it yo it's the pee me and n-o-y-d.

A lot of QB in the vein recently... remember how Trag and Iman Thug had that joint "Illuminati"...produced by the same cat who did "True Confessions"...then Nore had his own version over the same beat..."Noreminati"...both were ridiculous.

Or how about that DJ Clue freestyle with Harlem meets QB...Murda Mase, Killa Cam, Cardan, Iman Thug, Nore, and Trag...they all killllllededed it...Trag's verse ends it perfectly..."I got five wives who specialize in the art of knives..." one of the best lines...but Cam OD's on it as well ("Ay yo you garbage so we pack trash/Smoke weed inside a gas mask/Run up in your church and we crash mass...").

Got it go get it.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

eat a dick, paragraph man. I be doin this shit in my pajamas, y'erd?!

anyway

yea

that maze and moose joint was ultra fresh and I could never find it.

also I definitely remember that freestyle and probably have it somewhere.

I think im goin back to mommys house in queens tonight and I might have to dig up some old tapes.

illuminati was my joint..noreminati was fresh but not quite as good. I think I have instrumentals to that and confessions on this computer still.

they were my early rap writing backdrops.

look I'm making a paragraph and sentence joke.

my father is a retired english teacher.

he is so proud.

not for nothing...but that Infamous Archives cd Mobb Deep put out some time ago is pretty great. Has all of those old crusty mixtape joints that were bootlegged a trillion times and spread throughout Napster and Audio Galaxy...favorites from the Hell On Earth era (but it spans beyond that).

"This rap artist...used to be a...stick up artist.../sometimes I test myself, see if I still got it"

HNIC Pt. 2 !?

I doubt it could ever top HNIC, Prodigy had very dope shit from the M-O-B-B but some tracks on HNIC are just dirty filthy and nasty. The lyrics from keep it thoro don't really justify his presence on the track.

Head Nigga in Charge of Shit is one of my favorite albums of all time

HNIC pt 2 featuring G-Unit? fuck that

The cover for HNIC 2 is a fucking joke. I'm not gonna judge the album on the cover, because I think it'll be decent based on his tracks on his last mixtape but seriously dude ... cartoon dice, bottles and needles. The font is wack too.

How do you go from a cover consisting of a photo infront of an RD piece at the wall of fame with some nice typography work to this kinda cover?

yo nigga noyd what's the topic? yo the topic is this let me start from the beginning at the top of the list first of all them dyke niggas with that space style shit i stick a rocket up in they ass and give 'em a lift

The cover for HNIC 2 is a fucking joke. I'm not gonna judge the album on the cover, because I think it'll be decent based on his tracks on his last mixtape but seriously dude ... cartoon dice, bottles and needles. The font is wack too.

How do you go from a cover consisting of a photo infront of an RD piece at the wall of fame with some nice typography work to this kinda cover?

I just googled it. Im in total agreement. Its like he's trying to purposely make a caricature out of himself and his subject matter.

HNIC Pt. 2 !?

I doubt it could ever top HNIC, Prodigy had very dope shit from the M-O-B-B but some tracks on HNIC are just dirty filthy and nasty. The lyrics from keep it thoro don't really justify his presence on the track.

Head Nigga in Charge of Shit is one of my favorite albums of all time

HNIC pt 2 featuring G-Unit? fuck that

Uhm...I'll throw a TV at you, crazy?!?! That was probably my favorite single of that year because of the lyrics. Pee went off on that.

because I think it'll be decent based on his tracks on his last mixtape but seriously dude ... cartoon dice, bottles and needles. The font is wack too.

I just googled it. Im in total agreement. Its like he's trying to purposely make a caricature out of himself and his subject matter.

I agree the cover is butt ass and it's just a solid indication of his decline from respectable to complete parody.

The OG HNIC was one of the best Mobb releases to me...shit touched on a variety of good topics and featured Prodigy at one of his many primes...with a new "I don't give a fuck" delivery (as compared to the sharper style he boasted on both Infamous and Hell On Earth)...this was like a growth from what he started on Murda Muzik...(which was equally incredible performance-wise). He still sounded angry , energetic, and hungry...before Jay-Z broke his pride and reduced him to mumbling-Pee (as heard on Infamy). Don't get me wrong, I actually really liked that album and defended practically all of his verses on there...but it does sound like he lost a lot of steam. The Free Agents release was a revitalized Mobb Deep for sure...but then the DVD releases started and it became "silly."

Now he's practically a totally different rapper. Still comes up with cool shit here and there...but it's just harder to listen to him, almost can hear the struggle in trying to sound gangsta now. You'd think if he was on the shit he was on in the HNIC-era; (used to preach about) eating right, no drugs in his diet, and growing up out the bullshit hood mentality...he'd not be flashing guns and trying to really front like he was some tough, fearsome individual on DVD.

Ideally Mobb shoulda been signing G Unit, had they continued on their path (they were still at the peak of success during Murda Muzik)...I know they aren't the Shady/Aftermath beast of a machine...but they definitely should not have been tatt'ing G Unit onto their hands...EVER.

ANyways...I do believe that HNIC2 will feature some good tracks and def. some good, moody production. I saw three of the videos off of that release on youtube and they all rocked...VERY dark (much like the feeling behind Return of the Mac).

yo nigga noyd what's the topic? yo the topic is this let me start from the beginning at the top of the list first of all them dyke niggas with that space style shit i stick a rocket up in they ass and give 'em a lift

Yes. Marks a time when we all took Pee seriously.

It just depends on where you're at. 99% of the kids on here aren't at all connected on some street shit so of course it's just cool reading material about some irrelevant shit that they only know through rap music. Shit changes up if you have heads on the Island now...or who were on the Island during a period after the Blood shit really popped off in NYC (late 90's)...and who were neutral (between the major east coast jail gangs...b's, c's, lk's, and nieta's), yet confined to a Blood house. It all boils down to the same in the end, but I can understand the allure to a lot of people.

A little "indirect" there, huh?

I feel you though. My intention was just to present something I found interesting, Nothing more nothing less...

A little "indirect" there, huh?

I feel you though. My intention was just to present something I found interesting, Nothing more nothing less...

No doubt I hear you...that's how I took it. I personally have no idea how you live and what you've seen...but you seemed pretty well-informed, plus intelligent. I was just sharing my full opinion/reaction to the article. But nah, that wasn't directed at you if that's what you're saying in the first line.

I just know 99% of this forum (no matter how much they want to show their love for Lil Wayne and Dipset...and drop random mention of "nigga", amongst other slang...much like MOST internet message boards...) have not the slightest clue of what really goes on...whether on the street, in jail, in NYC, in urban America, overseas, in the current war, in the world...whatever. They're usually too stuck on playing dress-up whilst striving to prove their online existence/identity to others.

...aka just because you (random Sufu/Hypebeast/etc. member) braved downtown Soho and the crabby staff at Supreme to purchase a hoody and sag your LVC's...does not give you the slightest amount of street cred whatsoever.

Shit is called "street wear"...but that's about as deep as it gets. Most of the kids behind the brands were those corns who hung out at "the Monument" on the UWS on a Friday...or they were down with the crazy Albanians or NUTS or some other fucked-off prep school ("graff") crew based around Central Park.

...sorry...this is what mid-90's QB makes me do...bubbles the hatred for mankind in me. Well, so does lengthy plays of Citizens Arrest.

...back to QB...uhm...

So I heard the Lazy mixtape that RBW was talking about (good looks)...and it was somewhat of a let down. I was warned. Lazy to me had some potential...definitely was better than most of the younger QB talent coming out at the time he was getting put on mixtapes and Stretch Armstrong.

Lyrically, the mixtape is decent...some definite stand outs...but that's also because those particular joints had good street production. Which brings me to the real flaw, it was made during the reign of those lovely Korg Triton (or worse, Trinity) keyboard beats with terribly synthesized orchestra strings and timpanis. It worked many times over for a lot of beats during that time...but not much of that magic was heard on this tape. I don't blame Lazy for being kinda lackluster on a lot of joints...he sorta is one of those "if the beat is crazy, then the verses will be crazy" street rappers...since he doesn't really bring much newness to the table.

I did love hearing the BGF (G Rap, Ma Barker, and crew) joint(s...don't rmemeber if there was more than one on there)...as well as the Red Spyder joint with Prodigy...a classic from the STretch Armstrong Hot97 days (around the time of the og GTA III).

Overall, he REALLY needed "Make 'Em Jealous" on there. After hearing all of that, it's EASILY his best solo track. RBW, check your inbox in a few.

No doubt I hear you...that's how I took it. I personally have no idea how you live and what you've seen...but you seemed pretty well-informed, plus intelligent. I was just sharing my full opinion/reaction to the article. But nah, that wasn't directed at you if that's what you're saying in the first line.

I just know 99% of this forum (no matter how much they want to show their love for Lil Wayne and Dipset...and drop random mention of "nigga", amongst other slang...much like MOST internet message boards...) have not the slightest clue of what really goes on...whether on the street, in jail, in NYC, in urban America, overseas, in the current war, in the world...whatever. They're usually too stuck on playing dress-up whilst striving to prove their online existence/identity to others.

I know you're not coming at me personally, but sinceI have no problems being transparent (and as a matter of fact, self-deprication is one of my strong points) and this type of conversation is interesting to me, I'll derail your thread for a second and indulge.

I'm any "privledged-enough white kid" who grew up on the upper west side to a certain extent. That said I've always valued a varied experience, and I don't mean that in the cornball sense I mean that growing up where I did, I began to understand by age 10 that The world was far larger than my block, my neighborhood, or my social class. Folks got divorced age 10, Pops moved to Hells Kitchen, City Island, Park Slope, and finally downtown BK right off atlantic, by the mall.

Started writing graffiti, going to abc, listening to KRS one, The Chronic, etc... mad young, by the time I was 14, i was telling my mom, "fuck college". this and that. You know the deal, typical rebelious shit. Alot has changed in 10 years, but the inquisitive nature hasn't. I'm still out there every day, in the sticks or the bricks or wherever the fuck I'm at taking pictures, talking to people, and writing about shit.

I'm white, so you won't hear me say Nigga, nigger, or anything else, unless I'm quoting someone. That shit is just unbecoming to me.

I liked dipset and Wayne when they were sincere about what they were doing, and when their fans were the same. I still listen to them here and there. But I don't really check for em...

I feel you about this board. But my job on here is not to call people out on their street cred, with a holier than thou attitude (unless provoked) for clarity, this is NOT directed at you either and you won't ever hear me talk as an authority about things I haven't seen or done.

So now you know where I stand on that shit.

Most of the kids behind the brands were those corns who hung out at "the Monument" on the UWS on a Friday...or they were down with the crazy Albanians or NUTS or some other fucked-off prep school ("graff") crew based around Central Park.

This is true, and hilarious. But for the record, I have nothing but respect for a handful of writers and crews who came out of that era.

So I heard the Lazy mixtape that RBW was talking about (good looks)...and it was somewhat of a let down. I was warned.

Overall, he REALLY needed "Make 'Em Jealous" on there. After hearing all of that, it's EASILY his best solo track. RBW, check your inbox in a few.

You were warned, it's true. I sent it to a couple people, and all of them got the same disclaimer.

Make em jealous better be straight hypness though......

[c]HOW DARE YOU QUESTION MY TREND SETTING, LOOK AT WHAT I BRING TO THE TABLE.[/c]

I was the first one in WAYWT with the custom made throwback with Hennessey on the back.

I know you're not coming at me personally, but sinceI have no problems being transparent (and as a matter of fact, self-deprication is one of my strong points) and this type of conversation is interesting to me, I'll derail your thread for a second and indulge.

I'm any "privledged-enough white kid" who grew up on the upper west side to a certain extent. That said I've always valued a varied experience, and I don't mean that in the cornball sense I mean that growing up where I did, I began to understand by age 10 that The world was far larger than my block, my neighborhood, or my social class. Folks got divorced age 10, Pops moved to Hells Kitchen, City Island, Park Slope, and finally downtown BK right off atlantic, by the mall.

Started writing graffiti, going to abc, listening to KRS one, The Chronic, etc... mad young, by the time I was 14, i was telling my mom, "fuck college". this and that. You know the deal, typical rebelious shit. Alot has changed in 10 years, but the inquisitive nature hasn't. I'm still out there every day, in the sticks or the bricks or wherever the fuck I'm at taking pictures, talking to people, and writing about shit.

I'm white, so you won't hear me say Nigga, nigger, or anything else, unless I'm quoting someone. That shit is just unbecoming to me.

I liked dipset and Wayne when they were sincere about what they were doing, and when their fans were the same. I still listen to them here and there. But I don't really check for em...

I feel you about this board. But my job on here is not to call people out on their street cred, with a holier than thou attitude (unless provoked) for clarity, this is NOT directed at you either and you won't ever hear me talk as an authority about things I haven't seen or done.

So now you know where I stand on that shit.

This is true, and hilarious. But for the record, I have nothing but respect for a handful of writers and crews who came out of that era.

You were warned, it's true. I sent it to a couple people, and all of them got the same disclaimer.

Make em jealous better be straight hypness though......

Good biz.

Yeah check you PM...you got it.

Re: the era...def. there were some great writers who came from there...I ain't talking about Shaka or anyone else in YBW for that matter. MOre like the downtown kids and GESHU. Most of my peoples ran in RYB/IRAK...so they knew (QU)EAR and the rest (not that I have anything against him being bi or gay...just thought it was funny when he started writing that). I was close with Sace's cousin for a minute (or maybe it was his sister...I fuckin' forget). blah lbhalbhalbhalhbhb. I never had hand style so I did everything else but write.

Re: upbringing...I can dig everything that you're saying. I'm def. not trying to come off on some self-righteous shit...just giving my opinion on a widespread trend...and like you, I wouldn't dare speak about something that I don't know about in the first person. I def. don't have a personal problem with anyone on here to make an direct/indirect attack on them or their style...it is just what it is...some people may or may not be guilty of this...I know they're out there though haha. Plus I think internet beef is highly lame...seen that shit turn out in the worst way and it's always bullshit.

I also am NOT FROM the hood...I've been there an innumerable amount times...most of my friends are from a hood in the city...so I can speak on what I know...but for the sake of personal biography, I'm from the upper east side...nice fuckin' neighborhood...would love to retire here for all it's worth. All I can say is, much like you, I realized the world was huge at an early age and found myself rejecting the kids who flagged the fact that they were either from privileged households or fronted hard about some shit they had NO living knowledge of. I had more problems in my area from young days of beating up kids from here than uptown...where I had no issues. I ran with heads from uptown...primarily Harlem, the Bronx and the Heights...most of them went to Beacon, Washington Irving or transferred over to my school...we clicked through music and interests...just what happened. It didn't matter where you were from.

I was lsitening to Hip Hop by 1st grade...before I even had any knowledge of what it really meant...the rhythm/beats grabbed me...have Uncle Ralph McDaniels to thank for it. Video Music Box was my shit...as was college/public radio (I don't even remember who I was listening to...it was Saturday night...that's all I know). Did the rebellious thing...snuck viewings of VMB for years before I started getting tapes at HMV and Tower Recs. I listened to them in my walkman or boombox on low (if my parents were around)...didn't think they'd understand (Pops was who i was worried about...him being the white American adult who seemed a little conservative). By my teens I was breaking night going to shows at the Wetlands...and getting into trouble the next day for coming home at 6am, smellin' like smoke. By 16, they realized it was all good and I was out doing whatever...worked more and got some 1200's already after a year with Gemini turntables and a few years making many a "pause-tape" (mixtapes from dual tapedecks)...was already fucking around with rhymes since 8th grade, video taping shows, spinning at parties and occasionally Fat Beats, doing open mic and Table Turns events, battling kids at school, breakin' at Tomkins Square every week with a bunch of TCK heads, battling heads at Art & Design HS (B-Boy shit), having ciphers outside the Nuyorican, ciphers in my room, etc. etc. Thinking back now, it's funny how many people from those days are actually semi-well-known through internet fame.

Re: everybody's token hood rap...I too was a fan of both camps, Dipset and Cash Money (mainly BG, esp. for "Hard Times")...was a Cam fan since COTC (that's why I dislike their shit so much these days). I was rockin' with the Dips until they became the fuckin' joke that they have been for the last few years (since like late late '04, def. by the Whistle Song)...I even ended up doing some beats for them while on their last legs, Summer of '04 (not shameless self promo cause I very much dislike those beats...but was happy at the time of course). I can always go back and safely listen to SDE though...front to back practically..."Freak" is probably the only song I tend to skip at times. Cam was a monster for a good portion of the time when all of these crossover kids were laughing at him, Nore/Neptunes, Swizz, Timbaland, etc. Everyone thought Cam was soft and was like Charli B-more's underling...shit was funny to me...even funnier now that people have seemingly ate their shit and got Justin Timberlake, Nelly FUrtado, NERD, the latest Swizz singles, and this watered-down version of the Dips (for the grimier days) on their iPOD playlists.

Back to QB again...listening to the Imam Thug "Die Hard" mixtape (CD)...featuring a very gully Tyson Beckford on the intro like "yo my nigga Imam Thug...what's good Slime...show these niggas that thugged out shit...show them that thugmania shit...niggas can't fuck with you"...pretty fuckin' surreal to hear that...especially now with him reclaiming his career as a supermodel through reality tv and all. Pretty decent mixtape...you guys ever heard "The Bridge 2000"...not "2001" from the QB's Finest comp. THis is just Trag and Iman Thug over a crazy Marley Marl beat that sounds like the world is about to end...NOT a rehash of the OG MC Shan beat. Shit is crazy...I actually found (and racked) the promo 12" from when I was at Hunter College's radio room...plus I grabbed a few CNN promos and Moose/Maze's "Thugmania" (the aforementioned Neptunes banger).

you going to see him next week?

And also. Do you have his Bobbito show 17min freestyle? I just got my hands on that shit and it's flames.

I was at the KF last night. Drunked up in the Tap Bar around these Japanesesseses gals. I may be there on Monday to see Genghis Tron and some other bands. May go to see Mega...I dunno. I know you're 50/50. Lemme know.

I think I may have that freestyle still...nah probably lost that in the HD crash. Shit was crazy if I remember correctly.

Also, how'd you like the Lazy joint?

I was at the KF last night. Drunked up in the Tap Bar around these Japanesesseses gals. I may be there on Monday to see Genghis Tron and some other bands. May go to see Mega...I dunno. I know you're 50/50. Lemme know.

I think I may have that freestyle still...nah probably lost that in the HD crash. Shit was crazy if I remember correctly.

Also, how'd you like the Lazy joint?

haven't got to it yet.

I'll download it right now.

Trying to talk to another (perhaps mutual?) acquaintance into rolling with me, spot, and my girl. We'll see though. I'm kind of a hater when it comes to just about anyone who started putting out independent hip hop after 02/03, and the whole opening line up is a bunch of those dudes I always see mentioned in our very own "good new hiphop" thread.

I can't really call it from here.

I'm kind of a hater when it comes to just about anyone who started putting out independent hip hop after 02/03, and the whole opening line up is a bunch of those dudes I always see mentioned in our very own "good new hiphop" thread.

I can't really call it from here.

Exactly what I said to my boy who asked if I was going. Not a big Skyzoo or Big Shug fan. It IS Big Shug right? I know he'll have beats...but fuck that.

Looks like mad Brooklyn heads'll be stinkin' up the place hahahahahahahaha (words spoken from a true Manhattan kid).

QUEENS THUG/CARHARTT JEANS/G CAP/FORCE ONES

Plus rep son.

Shit was tight.

I will say though, I still think I'm feeling his verse on the BGF joint the hardest still. That and that one track that's all I don't give a fuck aboutta bitch/so when you see me, don't tell me nuttin' bout a bitch. I can't say i approve of the message, but it's good for what it's good for.

QUEENS THUG/CARHARTT JEANS/G CAP/FORCE ONES

Plus rep son.

Shit was tight.

I will say though, I still think I'm feeling his verse on the BGF joint the hardest still. That and that one track that's all I don't give a fuck aboutta bitch/so when you see me, don't tell me nuttin' bout a bitch. I can't say i approve of the message, but it's good for what it's good for.

Haha word I like that BGF joint a lot as well. Have to hear the "fuck about a bitch" joint again...I probably agree with you on the ultra-great message.

Tell me that Korg Triton keyboard shit worked so well on "Make Em Jealous" though. The minimal snare drum pattern just makes it that more frantic/powerful/spazz-worthy.