Shuttle Loomed Denim

johninger

I have seen and heard of people buying jeans based on the quality of the denim. Raw shuttle loomed is all i really buy now a days as well (bit pretentious i know).

But the main thing most people forget is the construction and fit of the jean is as important as the quality of the fabric.

For instance, evisu make out they are such a premium jean but most pairs these days have all overlocked inner seams, no felling except yoke. I mean same with Nudie etc. If I'm gonna spend $200 + on a pair of raw jeans to break in myself they better want to last ie old levis.

When in Australia last I bought a pair of Imperial Brand Clothing raw jeans and have bought them via email ever since. They are possibly the most well crafted pair of jeans on earth. Not only are they well made but they only use the best shuttle loomed denim from Japan and US. Add on their hand cut and embossed leather tags and beautiful pocket stitching I wish more people knew about them.

Sorry if I sound like their sales guy but I have become passionate about them. Also, could someone please recommend a place to buy very old vintage levis online (ie pre-WWII).

ps I hope indigo does not cause cancer.

www.imperial.st

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they make two cuts, well i've only seen two. they call them duke (classic fitted) and King (classic loose). Someone else will have to elaborate on King fits cause i tend to go for Duke.

They shrink to fit perfectly, when i bought them in Aus they wouldn't let me walk out of the shop with a pair that i could easily get into. Basically, bought as tight as I could and they relaxed heaps. I'm 5'10" and they are made to give plenty of roll up even after the wash, my friend cut his before wash which I told him not to do and now his roll up is minimal.

When I got back to Japan I wore them for about 9 months before washing. then only once since, look awesome, will try and post picture but not very good at bbs.

I got mine for $AUD330, but over there nudie selvage is $360 and evisu even more. So are fairly priced for an Australian made product (australia has same problem as Japan and Italy in the way they have to pay everyone a lot to work, but is better product although China has some good manufacturers these days).

I bought another pair for a friend by emailing them on their site www.imperial.st , I was told by someone who buys for Selfridges that he saw at a recent trade fair for spring/summer 06, Imperial's owner talking to some NY boutiques and perhaps BEAMS but they are pretty tight like that they don't want overexposure.

Their tshirts are incredible too, ive got a brown Imperialstar print. They use all egyptian combed cotton that they hand dye and print themselves in Australia.

Anyway i'm going on a bit here. Would love to hear what your favourite jeans are...

I think they make two cuts, well i've only seen two. they call them duke (classic fitted) and King (classic loose). Someone else will have to elaborate on King fits cause i tend to go for Duke.

They shrink to fit perfectly, when i bought them in Aus they wouldn't let me walk out of the shop with a pair that i could easily get into. Basically, bought as tight as I could and they relaxed heaps. I'm 5'10" and they are made to give plenty of roll up even after the wash, my friend cut his before wash which I told him not to do and now his roll up is minimal.

When I got back to Japan I wore them for about 9 months before washing. then only once since, look awesome, will try and post picture but not very good at bbs.

I got mine for $AUD330 but over there evisu/rogan jeans are up around $aud400/500 even more. So are fairly priced for an Australian made product (australia has same problem as Japan and Italy in the way they have to pay everyone a lot to work, but is better product although China has some good manufacturers these days).

I bought another pair for a friend by emailing them on their site www.imperial.st , I was told by someone who buys for Selfridges that he saw at a recent trade fair for spring/summer 06, Imperial's owner talking to some NY boutiques and perhaps BEAMS but they are pretty tight like that they don't want overexposure.

Imperial Brand Clothing tshirts are incredible too, ive got a brown Imperialstar print. They use all egyptian combed cotton that they hand dye and print themselves.

Anyway i'm going on a bit here. Would love to hear what your favourite jeans are...

Those jeans look nice. I don't really like the way the 5-pocket is riding on the side of the hip rather than in front, though.

Re-Sugarcane, original evisu etc, Imperial Brand Clothing do not have as big an emphasis on repro. I think they combine that old denim aesthetic, ie. shuttle loomed denim, break in yourself, with a more modern practical approach. ie this pair i have a much better fitted than any of those repro cuts.

Also, in regards to their interior finishing, there is not one piece of overlocking exposed in the whole jean. Where sugarcane, denime etc all have overlocking throughout. As part of this the selvage runs from waistband to leg opening. All felling including yoke, inner legseam, fly etc.

In summary I prefer Imperial Brand Clothing, but if you want the copper rivet and red tag 100% cotton thread (ie total repro) then they aren't for you. However, when you think about it even the repros today are not perfect in terms of thread use, felling etc. so who knows.

Also, in regards to site having no info, the last flash file we got sent in mailing list had fully functional Imperial is... page not sure why this is still blank on site. Perhaps they are lazy...

Not sure where the similarities arise from. Belt loops? Maybe

I think they are more remniscent of Edwin in regards to their denim but with standard levi's coloured thread and unique back pocket stitching.

I actually like the back pocket stitching, does anyone else, or is it totally negative response?

Whats the general feeling about these products?? I mean they are not so popular here because Japanese prefer American and Australian products... Not so much Japanese products.

Even if the quality is not very good as long as it is American, Australian, sometimes even Canadian/British, the young japanese will buy.

Unusual phenomenon, maybe not, I suppose exotic is good.

They seem to be styled exactly the same as Nudies, stitching detail, belt loops etc. Having the selvage cut right to the top of the waistband? This would mean the outside leg is straight all the way up which doesn't give you alot of Jeans to hang on your hips? I always thought it was extreme having a straight outer leg as it is (selvage). Also the front looks the same width as the back, or even wider creating that "around the corner" look on the front pockets. Most well cut Jeans have the back cut wider so the outside seams fall more middle/front of the leg. Getting a bit critical arn't I.....nice Jeans all the same