Why is there sales tax on restarunt food??

Guest Methimphibian

Guest Methimphibian

I got like this flyer in the mail a week ago, for this new chinese restaurant opening up close by, and it had a coupon on it, most of them were weak but one said "$4.88 shrimp fried rice" like a full plate of it. So I'm like ohh cool, the regular price is $6.45. So i cruise by on friday and show the coupon and she rings it up, and it's $5.65. So I payed anyway because I was hungry an didn't want to wait even longer for food and. I asked to eat it 'for here', and she later gave it to me to go. And now I'm thinking tax is like 8% in california? so even if she added ~8% tax $5.65 is still kind of high. did i get jipped or what?

Why is it I can go to a grocery store and buy food, and there's no tax on it, but restaurant's can charge tax on it?

its not that restaurants "can" charge tax, its that they are required to. some places include the tax on the menu price, but most do not. grocery stores don't charge tax on most foods because they are considered a necessity, but dining out is a luxury and therefore taxed. was this your fist time dining out or something?