any music producers here? advice?

thelion1856

so i was thinking of trying out music production as a hobbie. i know i'll need a fast computer to start with. was thinking of going with a mac book pro (the low end mac book pro) or can i be good with just a regular mac book with like 2.4 processor and 4gig mb ram? i want a portable computer cuz my sony viao turned to shit and is fucked.

already got reason 4, pro tools (i know its pc only) and looking for logic. i got a shit load of music samples as well.

i know i'll have to take a few music production courses and or music classes. but basically computer wise do i really need the mac book pro or will a better mac book just work fine as well?

Any ideas would be appreciated thanks.

Guest The City

A macbook with 4ghz ram would work plenty well but there are a few downsides compared to a MBP.

The Macbook has only one Firewire 400 port which means if you want to record to an external Firewire Harddrive (recommended over USB), and use a Firewire Audio Interface to record you will have to daisy chain the two which slows data speed down drastically.

The macbook has a smaller screen and smaller resolution, the graphic card is not as good as the Pro, and the Pro has an extra USB slot, all of this effects making music with software.

You'll be able to produce music with little limitation on the macbook but you are compromising some things that you might find neccessary later down the road.

Another question which might be kinda dumb but I need to ask it.

How do most people learn this stuff? Is it easy enough to just pick it up and do? Are there lessons everywhere or do people have enough hookups that can teach them?

Neg rep me if you must but I gotta know.

How do most people learn this stuff? Is it easy enough to just pick it up and do? Are there lessons everywhere or do people have enough hookups that can teach them?

a lot of people learn through pro-tools now, which IMO is a good way to start with digital production, but in the long run it hurts you.

i learned very rudimentary techniques from a friend who's a real analog head, so i was exposed to reel-to-reel and board production before computer.when i got into computer, i played around with programs like ACID and similar simple programs until i took a course at school in pro-tools. pro-tools, if you ask me, is like doing no work. i hate it, theres very little hands on, and at the protools board, you just sorta sit back and let the computer od a lot for you.

i'd say, find some friends who are going into a recording studio, meet the guy who's producing the demo's or whatever (if they've got someone) and ask them how they started.

also, USC is known for their music production major.

www.studio-central.com check out the SEQUENCERS forum, there's a TON of info there

What do you plan on doing? Are you planning to rewire Reason into Logic? I'd take Logic over Protools anyday....unless you have the $7,000 HD edition..

Also, get yourself a good set of monitors...those are crucial. Look into KRK RP5's..there not highend, but there quality speakers.

What the fuck kind of music are you looking to make? Electronic music?

it's not fucking hard, don't waste your fucking time and fucking money on a fucking course on digital audio production, or whatever the fuck it is.

Im sure your sony vaio can run reason, no problem. I could run it on an ibook g4 with no problem. Only when I wanted to rewire in to logic- would I experience a uncomfortable computing environment.

Yoou wanna record your 5 piece band?

buy a fucking macbook.

buy logic 8 (which is now very reasonably priced)

buy a few fucking mircophones

buy a presonous firestudio

logic07.jpg

It really isn't hard.

Also, noone uses protools anymore.

also, Protools is a joke for just about everything.

You ever used a 24 channel HD system?

Pro Tools is excellent for two purposes - the front end and the back end, effectively. It blows Logic out of the water for multitrack recording and mixing (assuming you have a massive desk to go with that 24 channel system)... everything inbetween I'd be inclined to do in Logic.

I'm a bit fan of Logic Pro, but the way it handles audio (particularly comping, crossfading or multiple takes, undo levels) is like being slowly hammered in the skull compared to Pro Tools.

thanks for the info guys. so i wouldnt run into any problems if i went with a mac book pro with only 2 gig ram?

also the style of music i want to learn to record is mostly house music electro trash/electronic music mostly.

you want reason or logic then.

It doesn't matter what sequencer you use, what equipment you have, your samples, whatever the fuck, if you have a good mind for music you'll find a way to make something good.

I've heard people cough up some badass stuff with rudimentary drum machines, cheap VST synths, computer microphones from the '90s, no production values, just working off slight knowledge of composition and musical theory. Did they have Cubase, Reason, terrific studios, whatever? No. They just scraped up what they could and made their own sound. If you think you need to be comfortable with some sophisticated program to make anything that sounds nice and shows some character, you're never going to get off the ground.

In the end, if it sounds good, it does, and if it doesn't, don't quit your day job. I could care less how you make it.

^^ Hear hear. If you've got a good ear than you can make pretty much any setup work for you. I use pro tools now, but I've used reel-to-reel, 4 tracks, rickety digital recorders; it's all worked so long as I've mic'd well and got my gain right.

In the future I'd love to use 1 in. tapes... mmmmm warm sounds

chiming in to say that going to school for this is generally a bad idea. the 20000 dollars or whatever for tuition is much better spent on your own stuff. pick up a decent firewire interface (presonus makes good reliable ones), logic 8, read a bunch of books and docs and start reading audio forums and doing it on your own.

ways to learn:

- find out who produced some stuff you like and read up on the producer. interviews and stuff.

- spend a ton of time on audio production forums online. there's a ton and there's all kinds of great information and advice floating around. buy some books too, there's lots that'll teach you what you need to get a solid start.

- check out some of the magazines: recording kind of sucks, but EQ and mix i think are good ones.

- make a lot of recordings. do your own stuff, work with friends, record bands, etc. experience goes a really long way.

don't stress yourself out about the logic vs pro tools thing, logic is now handy and cheap. pick it up for now. all the major DAWs these days use similar interfaces so get started on logic or cubase or something, pro tools should basically be the last thing on your mind right now.

some of keagan's ideas are kind of bad but he's right, just start doing it. you'll figure shit out and it'll come.

I'd spend the money on monthly subscriptions to some music tech magazines to be honest... probably a hell of a lot more informative.

Also 2gb or RAM will cut it for Reason, but if you start throwing around massive Gigastudio sample libraries in Logic you'll be making your computer cry in no time.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted · Hidden by Huerequeque, May 4, 2012 - asdfsadf
Hidden by Huerequeque, May 4, 2012 - asdfsadf
I use Logic Pro 8....it's worth every penny..and of course, it's super friendly with mac(obviously). If your going to be doing house/ electro music I suggest buying some sort of synthezier, maybe a MicroKORG or Roland Juno.

Stay away from these at all costs.

Buy yourself an Access Virus, find one used for a decent price.