Roadtrip from SoCal to Vancouver

masuerte

Umm... So a friend has lassoed me into going on another roadtrip (despite my joblessness and general lack of motivation in life).

On top of general trip plans, I wonder if there are any personal suggestions from superfuture on where to stop for eats and fun along the way. I'm hoping to make stops in San Francisco and Seattle of course (no need for suggestions there). In terms of on the road stuff I would like to know if there are any scenic drives we could take from San Fran to Seattle to Vancouver?

What cool stops and quick activities (like maybe climbing or hiking) could we safely do and what parks can we easily drive through to take pictures.

Also are there more unique ways to travel from San Fran to Vancouver? Trains etc? I plan to take the Megabus from SoCal to SanFran, so that part of the trip is covered. Then I think we'll just rent a car. Unless there's a cool train ride to be had between SF and Seattle.

I would also like to save money. Will search for hostels in Vancouver and use a timeshare or somewhat in Seattle. What other money-saving measures can one take in this situation?

Thanks for the help sufu.

p.s. this will happen maybe in spring... I got alot of time to plan.

TAKE PCH, for gods sake take PCH. Its the most beautiful drive you will ever take. Also its not the boring ass 5. I drive from San Diego to Seattle, taking only the 5 when I had to stop off in Fresno to bone some chick (it was almost not worth it - thats how bad the 5 is, and all of Central Cali), and it was amazing.