Superjobs

tmadd

I am just about to start my last semester at UC Berkeley getting my BA in English Lit. I am in the process of looking for real jobs for after I finish school, but I am also on a job search for right now. I'm not super picky as to the nature of the job, but I want to find something that is worth my time based on monetary compensation, future career path experience, or enjoyment/interest. Ideally, if I was working for a company, it would be a company which I was a customer of myself so that I would be able to genuinely stand behind my work (sales, etc.). I have a fair amount of experience in customer service, and have been pretty successful in commission based sales with a little bit of management experience. I am in the Bay Area, and have transportation, so I have a fair amount to work with, anyone have any suggestions or know of anything? Thanks in advance.

i hate to agree because it's not funny to you, tmadd. but i've known many many english majors (and art history and philosophy majors) who went through the same type of dilemma. what job to go for, and what you can actually get.

and numbers of them have ended up in advertising as copywriters. some of them are doing quite well. but it took them few years.

i hate to agree because it's not funny to you, tmadd. but i've known many many english majors (and art history and philosophy majors) who went through the same type of dilemma. what job to go for, and what you can actually get.

and numbers of them have ended up in advertising as copywriters. some of them are doing quite well. but it took them few years.

No, its pretty funny and I have been aware of it for awhile, if I am going to use my degree for anything other than "BA Required" it will be to go to graduate school. But, I am not looking for anything where the major itself would be relevant, just something for this semester (and then indefinitely as I go on my fruitless search for a job that isn't substitute teacher) that is either really easy/enjoyable, or marginally lucrative in comparison to 10 dollars an hour or less for student jobs.

Since making a ton of money isn't your main modus operati:

Work for a start-up.

Apply to Law school.

If you are a minority or woman, apply to MBA straight outta college.

Do JET or something similiar.

Work for a NPO.

Join the Peace Corp.

Join teach for america.

Write the next great american novel.

Apply to consulting firms (they take English majors).

Since making a ton of money isn't your main modus operati:

Work for a start-up.

Apply to Law school.

If you are a minority or woman, apply to MBA straight outta college.

Do JET or something similiar.

Work for a NPO.

Join the Peace Corp.

Join teach for america.

Write the next great american novel.

Apply to consulting firms (they take English majors).

Thanks, those are all great suggestions that I am in the process of looking into. Now, if only I could find out how to become a woman/minority, it would be MBA all the way.

Still, am interested in suggestions for something to do now, as in, during this last semester while I am finishing school (I have very few classes, so scheduling shouldn't be an issue).

hmm, this is true, i actually know 2 people end up working for the CIA. came out of eng lit.

how about a freelance writer for mags

or be a journalist

i think one thing would keep you driving is that set up projects for your self while working for a what ever company, the project you set for your self will keep you motivate creatively.

i could think of alot of things to do, it's just they might be something that i wanted to do not something you want to do, i dont think it's fair that we or i project our desire upon you.

life is beautiful you will have plenty of time to figure it out. worse comes to worse start a denim company

..worse comes to worse start a denim company

If this is my worst case scenario, I am set. Thanks for the variety of ideas though.

Turning tricks.

on a somewhat more serious note, I had a friend who was an English lit major at cornell, very bright guy. But his thinking was very similar to yours and he didn't get a job for quite some time. luckily for him, his parents can support his status but it took a considerable emotional toll on him. I wouldn't go as far as say he is a shell of his former self but it did hurt his self esteem and general confidence level.

I guess you shouldn't be too picky and hope for an ideal situation if you don't have a specific carrer in mind as of now. I am sure you pay enough attention to the news that there are plenty of financial institutions that has put in varying degrees of hiring freeze, and that considerable amount of people still see a real recession around the corner.

Sometimes you should be content and grateful for the fact you can cover your rent, basic necessities, and have a job that pays for insurance - that state doesn't have to last forever anyway.

This is great idea for a thread seeing as how a decent number of us are in that transitional age bracket between college/grad school and career/"real life"(whatever the fuck that actually is). Add to that the fact that the bulk of us have extravagant taste and we need good jobs to support our spending habits.

Raj, your post is relevant to me as I majored in Second Language Studies and Im currently doing JET.

I can milk this for a few years and then its time to get my shit together and go back to school or parlay this into something else (preferably here in Japan).

I have also thought about going the MBA route as my old Univ. has a Japan focus MBA with a 6 MO abroad internship program, but I dont know if I could hack the salary-man lifestyle, too lazy.

Decisions decisions...

Anyway, heres a bump for the thread.

Come to the sufu Tokyo bro down next week and I can definitely give you some advice. Just as a precursor, I have one friend who did JET for two years and then switched to venture capital specifically funding Japanese start-ups. He loves it.

i guess it all goes back the high school guidance class,

"if you have 10 million dollars, what would you do"

And subsequently, Office Space: "Absolutely Nothing"

Or, two chicks at the same time.

Seriously though, the responses to this thread have me thinking more and more seriously about starting up something of my own. Definitely some scary aspects of it, but I am confident the reward of success would be well worth the risk.

And subsequently, Office Space: "Absolutely Nothing"

Or, two chicks at the same time.

Seriously though, the responses to this thread have me thinking more and more seriously about starting up something of my own. Definitely some scary aspects of it, but I am confident the reward of success would be well worth the risk.

you know the great things about self start up is that, you will learn alot more than taking up a desk job somewhere and the reward is tremendous.

Come to the sufu Tokyo bro down next week and I can definitely give you some advice. Just as a precursor, I have one friend who did JET for two years and then switched to venture capital specifically funding Japanese start-ups. He loves it.

If I bomb out as an artist I'm doing it up djrajio style and ballin' in japanland.

NOTICE: SERVO2000 TAKES YOUR WAYWT PHOTO

BARELY KNOWN INTERNET FASHION COMMENTATOR SERVO2000 ENTERS YOUR HOME AND DISTURBS THE PEACE, LEAVING YOU A REMINDER OF HIS PRESENCE IN THE FORM OF A VERY PROFESSIONAL PHOTO OF YOURSELF IN YOUR FINEST DESIGNER GARMENTS

For this service, I will charge you:

Transportation Fees (1st Class Airline Tickets - Both Ways)

Room & Board

Service Fee Averageing ~$1000

Licensing Fees Extra

LETS DO THIS UP (SIDNEYLO) SERVO2000 STYLE

I dont know

my mindset is, get a business or engineering degree or dont make much $ unless you work real hard/get lucky...

I've been out of college for almost a year now, I recommend get internships every summer you can within your field... next I recommend start looking for a job in november even if you are graduating in may, its going to take you a while to find one most likely.

Go on lots of interviews, so you get comfortable in the interview environment and get used to the typical questions that might be asked(believe me you will hear alot of the same ones over and over). I used to go on interviews for jobs I didn't even want, just for the experience

Also see what kind of position you want yourself in, location, etc, and try to find jobs that match this...

I went through this process and landed a great job at a great company doing something I like doing, and getting paid well to do it.

Just keep in mind that even if we all love our $200+ jeans,

that doesn't mean you need a really high-paying job.

Make sacrifices. Manage that shit.

& then you can buy anything you want.

I'm gonna go to skool for art history and museum studies,

as well as French. Would like to work in an art gallery eventually..

any suggestions?

what kind of jobs is a degree in English Literature supposed to prepare you for? I can't think of anything other than an English teacher

Editing, Writing, any general business position that relies heavily on written communication, and then of course...anything stemming from a professional law or business degree, or a PhD in English. I'm definitely not trying to defend my choice, because it definitely not an auto-hire degree like engineering or finance related fields, but it gets a bad rep just because it isn't the same kind of path taken by a ton of narrow-minded fuck-faces that aren't smart/resourceful enough to succeed without getting a job solely based on their degree and where they went to school. As difficult as it may be to get started on a career path with an English degree...my entire life's experience has made it clear to me that someone who can proficiently read, comprehend, think, and communicate those thoughts is WAY ahead of 90% of people, and will do fine for themselves.