Going to the Holy Land...

sneakeraddict

Think I'm going to Japan (Tokyo) in March, for two weeks.

Aside from all the amazing sites of Japan to take in, does anyone know if there are any made-to-measure jeans shops in Tokyo?

I really want do a denim factory tour - but I think all the factories are based in Okinawa... Correct?

Maybe a tailor made pair of Evisu... :)

Thanks in advance for any tips

i just remembered this other post so hopefully this helps

OK,

just got back from Tokyo. I thought I’d share my denim shopping experiences there. Here we go, enjoy:

UENO:

All the denim stores are next to the railroad tracks on a small street, you'll find the map here: http://www.indigofan.com/indigofan/map_ueno.html

- Hinoya was good, they have 3 branches there (I went to 2 of them). They had a good selection of Evisu, Levi's, Sugar Cane (especially the jackets were sweet), Burgus (Hinoya's own brand), and some Warehouse, Skull, Dubble Works and Oni jeans. They also had lots of Hawaiian shirts, sweat shirts, military jackets and stuff like that.

- Americaya was great, on the same street as Hinoyas. They had lots of Samurai, LVC, Evisu, Denime, Bootleggers, Lee, SDA, Flathead among others. Lots of stuff there, maybe the biggest denim store I visited.

- On the same street, opposite to Americaya, there was a small shop that carried Eternal 811. Can't remember the name though.

- On the same side as Americaya and Hinoya, there were elso few shops that had selvage denim. One had LVC, other had Omnigod. Everything was really close together, so it was easy to find the shops there.

SHIBUYA:

- Americaya has store there, close to the station. It was more mainstream than their Ueno store, but they had some Samurai, Eternal, Evisu etc.. In Americaya Shibuya they can only use single stitch for altering jeans, so Ueno store is better.

SHIMOKITAZAWA:

- Bears is there, close to Shimokitazawa station. It was maybe my favourite jean store in Tokyo. Really small, but full of good stuff, and the staff was really friendly. They had Flathead, Skull, SDA, Eternal, Denime, Full Count, Warehouse etc., lots of models and sizes.

Shimokitazawa is nice area, worth visiting even if you didn’t go to Bears. There’s plenty of good bars and cheap restaurants, and really relaxed atmosphere.

HARAJUKU:

- OT & Emotional was quite good. They carry Warehouse, Sugar Cane, Flathead etc. And really nice Cushman and Two Moon sweatshirts. Unfortunately they had really limited sizes left so I didn’t get anything there.

- Skull Jeans has a store in Harajuku. So does Full Count, PBJ, Johnbull, Levi’s (has LVC), Edwin (has vintage-Lee & Wrangler), FIL (had Visvim denim) and Neighborhood (their raw denim didn’t look too bad). Evisu store is no longer there where Superfuture map suggests.

-There’s also a lot of vintage shops that carry vintage Levi’s, Lee and Wrangler. Even some deadstock stuff from the 50’s, and that stuff doesn’t come for cheap. I tried to find LEvi’s no 3 jacket that would fit me well, but with little success. Prices were usually similar to, say, like Stables market in Camden Town.

- Between Harajuku and Shibuya there was a 45rpm store I went to, tried their new nandoxnando denim, didn’t like the cut though. But the prices were great compared to NY. So if you’re into that stuff, visiting a 45 rpm store in Tokyo is highly recommended.

SHINJUKU:

Junky store in Shinjuku was OK. It’s located north of Shinjuku JR station, on American Street or something like that. They had Sugar Cane, Skull, Warehouse etc., and lots of repro military and motorcycle gear. Didn’t buy anything there though.

AOYAMA:

-Next to Tab Device (didn’t like the current Fenom x Levi’s) is Levi’s vintage store, full of LVC stuff. But it seemed that even the regular pieces costs a lot more there.

-Blackflag had lots of Neighborhood denim.

Hmm, that’s all I can remember right now. Lots of this stuff isn’t on a Superfuture maps, time to update them maybe?

I think there's a link for it or something but there is a MTM shop in Shibuya me thinks. I posted it long ago, but no longer have the magazine or the link. Denim Works? maybe....

yes, denim works will make custom jeans for you, but be prepared to spend an arm and a leg. fukuda-san could pretty much take any requests, from denim to thread to rivets.

fukuda_ok.jpg

Yo.

Momotaro do made to measure - around 50,000y and up. Check them out in Kojima. They also have a store in Tokyo, on the Chuo line (forgot which stop...)

Betty Smith in Kojima also do made to measure.

Enjoy

Hell, that's expensive.

I guess my upper limit would be £150 ( 30, 000 yen?)

but it's always good to know the option is there, so thanks for the info

Will check out the vintage store, but as someone who needs a genuine 36 - 37inch inseam, I don't think I'm gonna find a second hand pair in Japan with that length. (?)