Self Edge x Flat Head

Dam Its Johnny

just got mine earlier today and thinking i should have got sz 32 instead of a 31. they are pretty snug in the thigh and waist now which i don't mind, but after the soak i don't know if ill be able to fit them......

Wear them for a few weeks, then once they've stretched a tad bit, then do a 30 minute cold soak..

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of people in here are saying to just hot soak/dry jeans which fit too loose pre soak.

Honestly, do you seriously not think these will stretch out after wearing for a month plus? Are you advising that the owner hot wash every couple weeks so that they always fit snug?

I only own two pairs of jeans but here are my experiences:

3001- fit extremely tight in the waist when I purchased them. I was really skeptical but took Clay's advice anyway and got the tight w32s instead of the comfortable w33s. Even a couple weeks later I wished I had gotten the 33s since my w32s were too tight. But, after about a month of everyday wear and ever since then they have stretched out to a very comfortable waist and will not stretch anymore.

SEXI04- I read online that the black Imperial denim does not stretch too much, so I bought the slightly snug w31 instead of the tight yet Clay-approved w30. After 7 or so wears they have stretched out so much that they are uncomfortable to wear. They have extra room in the waist exactly like in landstander's pictures.

Of course it is up to whoever owns the jeans. I am sort of annoyed about not getting the w30s in the SEXI04 (last time I ever go against Clay's advice..) and just want to help if I can to prevent similar experiences occuring to others.

Personally, I don't like to wash my jeans much and believe it is more than worth it to have a tight/uncomfortable fit initially to insure comfortable/perfect fit in the waist for the long term.

A lot of people in here are saying to just hot soak/dry jeans which fit too loose pre soak.

Honestly, do you seriously not think these will stretch out after wearing for a month plus? Are you advising that the owner hot wash every couple weeks so that they always fit snug?

I only own two pairs of jeans but here are my experiences:

3001- fit extremely tight in the waist when I purchased them. I was really skeptical but took Clay's advice anyway and got the tight w32s instead of the comfortable w33s. Even a couple weeks later I wished I had gotten the 33s since my w32s were too tight. But, after about a month of everyday wear and ever since then they have stretched out to a very comfortable waist and will not stretch anymore.

SEXI04- I read online that the black Imperial denim does not stretch too much, so I bought the slightly snug w31 instead of the tight yet Clay-approved w30. After 7 or so wears they have stretched out so much that they are uncomfortable to wear. They have extra room in the waist exactly like in landstander's pictures.

Of course it is up to whoever owns the jeans. I am sort of annoyed about not getting the w30s in the SEXI04 (last time I ever go against Clay's advice..) and just want to help if I can to prevent similar experiences occuring to others.

Personally, I don't like to wash my jeans much and believe it is more than worth it to have a tight/uncomfortable fit initially to insure comfortable/perfect fit in the waist for the long term.

What about stretching in the thigh/knee area? My waist has plenty of room after a 1 hour warm soak, but the thighs are very tight.

^I have very little experience with thigh stretching actually.. my legs are small enough relative to my waist that both the 3001 and SEXI04 are loose in the leg on me.

Again though, I don't even own the SEXFH05, and not many people on here seem to have experience with the long term stretching of the flat head 16oz denim. Just seems strange to me to not anticipate much stretching with these.

All my well-fitting unsanforized denim started out too loose. I don't own any jeans in Samurai's VX denim, but I own a fairly wide range of denim, and none of it has stretched back out to pre-soak dimensions. I think advising people to buy denim that fits just right pre-soak is stupid. Advising people to buy denim that is uncomfortable pre-soak is just cruel. You're wasting their money.

Also, you get far more stretch in the waist than the thighs over time, so even if your advice is occasionally reasonable, it is applicable only to waist measurements.

Also, as a general rule, the heavier the denim, the more it will stretch. Not always true, but seems to hold in general.

All my well-fitting unsanforized denim started out too loose. I don't own any jeans in Samurai's VX denim, but I own a fairly wide range of denim, and none of it has stretched back out to pre-soak dimensions. I think advising people to buy denim that fits just right pre-soak is stupid. Advising people to buy denim that is uncomfortable pre-soak is just cruel. You're wasting their money.

Seriously. When I got my 3001's they were way too big. I soaked them for quite a while and they're pretty slim now.

The only thing that's going to stretch is whatever has pressure on it, normally the hips. Sometimes the thighs if they're really tight.

^ exactly, denim won't stretch if it's the right dimensions to begin with. They will never stretch to anything close pre-soak measurements.

I will echo theetruscan's comments....my experience has been that heavier weight denim does stretch the most. Hopefully this will give hope to those that have bought too small.

Why aren't there more pics and measurements posted? Are people still waiting for their jeenz?

we should have an updated list too i think, for maybe anyone whos sold jeans, and no longer in the contest or bought jeans and would like to join.

andddddd not that anyone cares but i wont be able to post for a while :P my brother kinda broke my laptop on my hand.<_< i'll keep taking pics and post when i can.

Well kiya, I don't know what to say...I'm a bit intoxicated right now but I just got home and almost cried having tried on these jeans post soak. I can honestly say I'm in love...maybe its the alcohol talking but god damn...congratulations on these AMAZING jeans!

Post soak measurements (give or take, check earlier posts for pre-soak), size 29, 45 minute warm soak:

Waist: 14.75

Front/Back: 9.2/12

Thigh (BiG/SE): 10.75/10.3

Knee: 7.25

Leg Opening: 6.75

Inseam: 34.75 (possibly more, will measure again later)

I was too excited to put on socks, sorry

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/NewtypeAPC/mix.jpg?t=1209195603

Why aren't these image tags working? Or is it just me...

Interesting to hear your experiences as well, theetruscan, selbsttatig, and braidkid.

I just want to share my experiences since they are counter to when you guys say denim will never stretch to pre soak measurements or that buying tight raw denim is stupid... In my experience with the SEXI04 I actually feel that buying comfortable raw denim was stupid (the denim Imperial uses is sanforized though unlike Flat Head's).

If it works in the end that is what matters.

I look forward to seeing more photos over the course of this contest, I wish I could participate.

I just want to share my experiences since they are counter to when you guys say denim will never stretch to pre soak measurements or that buying tight raw denim is stupid... In my experience with the SEXI04 I actually feel that buying comfortable raw denim was stupid (the denim Imperial uses is sanforized though unlike Flat Head's).

But, you don't communicate well that you're talking about sanforized denim only. If you're trying for a very slim fit and buying unsanforized denim, then, yes, it should start tight. But, with SExFHs, and nearly all the denims discussed on this forum, they are unsanforized, and thus shrink.

i'm the dude from toronto who came in on the 19th and grabbed a pair. just got back home this morning, and my jeans have been soaked and are currently drying. can't wait to start wearing them, the cut looks great and the denim is awesome.

is this contest thing happening? count me in if so.

^I am not talking about sanforized denim only.

I am talking about both the 3001 denim and the SEXI04 denim.

And did you mean sanforized instead of unsanforized in the second sentance?

Either way I am slightly confused.

I think there is enough information out there for people to figure out how to ultimately get the best fit. Mainly I was trying to post for the benefit of landstander and I think he has his situation figured out already.

Alright so i got my 29's this morning and did a hot hot soak. I let them air dry for a little while and started wearing them while damp an hour or so ago. The waist is fine, as is everything else below the knee, but the upper block seems pretty loose. The thighs are pretty large. What do you guys think of the fit? Size down one or keep these?

DSC01196.jpg

DSC01198.jpg

DSC01199.jpg

DSC01200.jpg

EDIT: If anybody wants to trade me their 28's for my 29's (PLEASE!!!), you can see some more information here:

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?p=1016298#post1016298

^ the thighs look in fact very big..especially in the front-view pic...

if you have the chance to size down to a 28.. do it....even when the waist will probably be a little tight first...

and if you don't have the chance, you'll be alright as well....

could be hard to find somebody to trade with since alot of people want to size down...

seems like the thighs of the sexfh fit bigger than on the 3001 in the same size...

for myself (i'm still waiting for my pair), i first was afraid that i made the wrong decision with sizing down from my 3001 size....but after all this talk here i'm thinking that i just did the right thing.

i can stand a tight waist, but super tight thighs wouldn't be that cool...