Nudie staying power

obladi

Hey, I want to ask you guys whether I should get nudie jeans or not. I'm mostly scared that they will go out of style. But I'm also nervous dropping down 200 something on a pair of jeans. The most I have spent was aroud 180 on a pair of diesels. I really like the regular ralf and the washes look great.

I can't seem to find a good deal on them. I went to the barneys warehouse sale but they didn't have my size. Should I pay full retail or wait and try and snatch a pair when they go on sale at the end of the season because they won't be so popular soon?

Regular Ralfs are now priced at $269 in the US and it's enforced. (Dry Selvage at least)

Which basically means you're not going to find a deal. I'm thinking they won't go on sale any time soon as they intend to produce the same jean for quite some time.

Nudie as a company is "not looking for the short-term trends." ...it can't go out of style if it isn't in style. They're simply high quality jeans cut with a lower rise than LVC or Levi's repros.

Quote:

Nudie RR's are great - the Dry Regular Ralphs are better value than the washed ones IMO. Don't worry about them going out of style quickly, they are, in essence basic 5 pocket jeans.

If price is a concern look around for alternatives. There's plenty out there.

--- Original message by ringring on Sep 4, 2005 01:49 AM

yes they are a basic 5 pocket jean, but they are different that say your average 47 501, they have a nice sized boot cut and did i mention they are amazing

chwa?

If it helps any, Orlando Bloom wears them. I was flipping through an August People magazine and he had a pair of dry RR on.

Seriously though... I doubt Nudies will go out of style. Their whole lineup has a style for everyone and they don't do anything gimmicky. Their volume isn't that high (yet) and their price point is high enough that they're not that accessible for everyone in the US. Now if I can only get a pair of black RR.

I think Nudie is just popular among the supertalkers. I don't see them in fashion magazines. The commpany's philosophy is not to be mainstream but go against it.

APC on the other hand, is gaining mass recognition and it has even graced the style.com newsletter recently. But fashion people will ignore their denim because its so simple, there's no design at the backpockets to show off! So, APC is still a safe haven away from the Seven, Diesel, Replay crowd.

Botttom line: both Nudie and APC are great denims!

Nudie's always seems to be on the cusp of becoming mainstream, but never quite do. There are a few celebs that seem to wear them, a lot of people that are "in the know" really like them, they are at a lot of the trendy shops in LA, hell they've even been mentioned on Saturday Night Live, yet I have only seen one other person actually wear them on the streets.

Edited by sway on Sep 4, 2005 at 06:03 PM

265 bucks (in the US) for a pair of raw RR selvage....this isn't the Gap. how many people you know are willing to shell out that kind of money for a pair of jeans? not to mention it takes time, patience and lots of love to get them to look good.

"God is Dead" - Nietzsche icon_smile_angry.gif

"Nietzsche is Dead" - God icon_smile_cool.gif

darnworn: amen to that. people who will buy them without knowing the value of selvage will just wear them to look good and wouldn't know the process on how to properly treat them. that is if they are aware of Nudie in the first place. from what I know, I never see them in fashion magz. anyone here seen them advertise?

Quote:

darnworn: amen to that. people who will buy them without knowing the value of selvage will just wear them to look good and wouldn't know the process on how to properly treat them. that is if they are aware of Nudie in the first place. from what I know, I never see them in fashion magz. anyone here seen them advertise?

--- Original message by john11f on Sep 4, 2005 07:45 PM

They've actually been shown in Cargo a few months ago when they had a feature on denim. They didn't mention anything about the wear-in process... just that they were rigid and conform to one's body after a few wears.

nudie aren't mainstream, and never will be cause there against trends and stuff. the jeans are really good quality, u have lots of different cuts and washes, though the dry is still best.

í've never seen them advertise either, but i do see quite a few peopel out on the street wearing nudies, never selvage though. i think lots of people who are interest in nudies just check site like mynudies.com first and therefore know how to break them in etc.

one million billionth of a millisecond on a sunday morning

Go to Sweden - trust me, Nudies ARE mainstream there. However, like most cultural obsessions, wearing something that's all-the-rage in a country that's considered relatively hip in a country like the US is still pretty non-mainstream. Kind of like Annie, who is apparently quite famous in the her country of origin (Norway? can't remember) but can't get a google result better than a Pitchfork review in the US.