no country for old man, is not that great

6MT

no country for old men was easily the best film of 07. the movie had some of the most intense action i've seen in a while, but didn't sacrifice the artistic side of the film to provide it.

go see it in theatres. skip juno, go watch arrested development on DVD instead.

there i said it, it's not that great...wait for it on DVD

I agree, maybe not the dvd part. See it in the theater, there weren't many good movies this year and this is one that's still worth the money. I wouldn't say that it's Coen brothers best but it's one of the better ones since 'Fargo' (with 'Fargo still being better than 'No Country' and 'Barton Fink' and 'Miller's Crossing' better than both of them).

'There Will Be Blood' is the best movie of the year, if you really like movies. 'Lust, Caution' is also very good.

if you like feeling cheated by the end of the movie and somehow manage to convince yourself that art just happened to you, go ahead and watch it.

If you need to have a Full House, well-glad-that-everything-wrapped-up-nicely-in-the-allotted-time feeling, avoid this and most good movies.

See it in the theater for the visuals, if nothing else.

everyone was saying that no country for old men is the cohen brothers masterpiece?

bullshit.

who are we in the present to determine which work is a "masterpiece". thats something that should be done in retrospect imho.

it was good, but my problem with it was not iwth the cohen brothers. it was with the originial author Cormac McCarthy. i simply dont like his style of story telling, there are things that simply could have been done without. the whole subplot of tomy lee jones wasnt very necessary to the plot. it did give the title some meaning though.

the road was pretty mediocre too.

it was good, but my problem with it was not iwth the cohen brothers. it was with the originial author Cormac McCarthy. i simply dont like his style of story telling, there are things that simply could have been done without. the whole subplot of tomy lee jones wasnt very necessary to the plot.

I completely disagree with you. You either didn't understand the movie or the book or both. Jones' character is very important to the story and not just to the plot but to understand the meaning of it. It's not only a story about one crazy guy chasing another and one cop trying to stop them. This is not an action movie, if you didn't think that his character was needed than you obviously missed the point.

I also don't see what the style of storytelling has to do with how the movie was made. I think Coen brothers took a good story and made it into their own. I didn't see that much of McCarthy's style in the movie. I think the book was good and maybe I would like the movie more if I wouldn't read it. McCarthy's best book imo is "Blood Meridian" and writing it that is way more complex. It's also a much better story than "No Country For Old Men" or "The Road" and it would require a talented screenwriter to adapt it (Monahan did it and Ridley Scott is directing but I'm not holding my breath on this one).

if you like feeling cheated by the end of the movie and somehow manage to convince yourself that art just happened to you, go ahead and watch it.

"cheated" is a harsh statement. the last scene n the film kind of adresses this feeling you had. tommy lee jones tells his wife about a dream he had that didnt really make sense to him. then - credits. if you feel cheated by a film about people who feel cheated by the events of the film, then your opinion is kinda worthless. if you want to warn people not to see it, tell them its not for people who suck at watching movies.

i also think corbin must have missed some of the themes of the film if he thought tommy lee jones was disposable. between his opening monolouge and his final speech in the film theres not much else to put the rest of story in context. i agree his character was the least interesting in comparison to louellen, javiers psycho, or woody harrelsons character, but the whole film is sort of through his perspective as a guy whose lost his ablility to understand whats going on in what should be familiar territory.

well, what do you think is better?

I already named 2 that were better this year. I can probably name over 40 from 00's.

just from the top of my head

"The Lives of Others", "Talk to Her", "Bad Education", "La Pianiste" "Pan's Labyrinth", "L'Enfant", "Uzak", "The Son's Room", "Dancer In The Dark", "The Sea Inside", "No Man's Land", "The Wind That Shakes the Barley", "Lost in Translation"

I already named 2 that were better this year. I can probably name over 40 from 00's.

just from the top of my head

"The Lives of Others", "Talk to Her", "Bad Education", "La Pianiste" "Pan's Labyrinth", "L'Enfant", "Uzak", "The Son's Room", "Dancer In The Dark", "The Sea Inside", "No Man's Land", "The Wind That Shakes the Barley", "Lost in Translation"

Talk to Her is an amazing movie. I haven't checked out Bad Education yet