My first Visvim purchase... FBT Detailed Observation

OK, so I ordered the Visvim FBT Shakers in the sand color from Ultimate-street.com. The website is official and shipping is prompt. I received the item in 3 days.

This is for the peeps on the fence about buying a pair.

The first thing I noticed was the smell of suede right when I opened the box. Straight raw suede. The suede was not as butter soft as I had thought, but I guess some breaking in would get them there. The whole interior of the shoe is lined with smooth, butter soft pigskin that wraps all the way under the insole. A great sign of quality if you see it yourself.

For those wondering, the flap on the outside is removable. The plaid flap on the Shaker FBTs then gives a lot of options on how to freak em due to the different colors and quilt patterns. I think these shoes look very subtle without the flap which is good on occasion.

So I have heard different opinions of how the FBT fits. I decided to go with my usual Nike size 9.5. To my observation, I wouldn't be happier if I had chosen another size. The leather on these wraps around the top of my foot snug, just right and my toes have about a cm. of space from the front tip. If I would have taken most everyone's advice, I would have gone a half size down and these shoes would be too tight for my preference.

Overall I am very pleased with my purchase. I was looking for a premium leather sneaker that would look good with jeans and these are great. They are comfortable due to the spongy, phylon midsole that I believe is the same material used in some Nike shoes. The quality put in these shoes surpassed my expectations and being a dunk/force/sk8-hi type of wearer, these have simply expanded my closet options. and by the way, my lady likes them too...

OK, so I ordered the Visvim FBT Shakers in the sand color from Ultimate-street.com. The website is official and shipping is prompt. I received the item in 3 days.

The first thing I noticed was the smell of suede right when I opened the box. Straight raw suede. The suede was not as butter soft as I had thought, but I guess some breaking in would get them there. The whole interior of the shoe is lined with smooth, butter soft pigskin that wraps all the way under the insole. A great sign of quality if you see it yourself.

For those wondering, the flap on the outside is removable. The plaid flap on the Shaker FBTs then gives a lot of options on how to freak em due to the different colors and quilt patterns. I think these shoes look very subtle without the flap which is good on occasion.

So I have heard different opinions of how the FBT fits. I decided to go with my usual Nike size 9.5. To my observation, I wouldn't be happier if I had chosen another size. The leather on these wraps around the top of my foot snug, just right and my toes have about a cm. of space from the front tip. If I would have taken most everyone's advice, I would have gone a half size down and these shoes would be too tight for my preference.

Overall I am very pleased with my purchase. I was looking for a premium leather sneaker that would look good with jeans and these are great. They are comfortable due to the spongy, phylon midsole that I believe is the same material used in some Nike shoes. The quality put in these shoes surpassed my expectations and being a dunk/force/sk8-hi type of wearer, these have simply expanded my closet options. and by the way, my lady likes them too...

Quote: The first thing I noticed was the smell of suede right when I opened the box. Straight raw suede. The suede was not as butter soft as I had thought, but I guess some breaking in would get them there. The whole interior of the shoe is lined with smooth, butter soft pigskin that wraps all the way under the insole. A great sign of quality if you see it yourself.

exactly!

Quote:

--- Original message by Silversurfer on Aug 29, 2005 05:16 PM

thanks for that very nice discription of the FBTS. i would like to see a pic of you wearin the shoes,see how they look. btw are a you natural 9.5? im a natural 8.5,but i get a half size up to 9.

I just got my FBT Shakers today from HUF SF and I think I prefer the FBT2 Mids over the standard FBT design. If you look at the stitching on the FBT models, part of the leather sticks out:

visvim15pe.jpg

VS

visvim21bq.jpg

If you look at the FBT2 Mids, the stitching is "X style" thus preventing that excess suede sticking out. I also like the look of the FBT2 Mids over the FBT. I'll Post some pics later

Online Visvims check out:

http://www.bid-service.jp/home.html

It's a similar escrow service to Celga but just scroll down to the visvim links in the Shoes category and also check out the various other japanese shoe retailers. Don't use this guy's service though. Also check out rakuten, yahoo auctions japan, an grandism.com for more styles (other than FBT). Ebay works too.

hpim01004ap.jpg

hpim01016dl.jpg

hpim01024be.jpg

hpim01038iv.jpg

hpim01048ik.jpg

Sorry some of the blurry pics as they were not taken with flash on. Again, note the suede-stcik-out-syndrome going on in the 4th picture. Not cool IMHO. Great thing is that the flaps are detachable for a different look.

I just got em so I didn't get a chance to. They were mad uncomfortable when I tried them on and when I brought them home, but after widening, the shoes felt fine. I'm just wondering how to wear these without looking like a duck. I don't want to crease these babies.

I'm with Minya on this one, where I really don't see the appeal...maybe it's because they have the comfort of a sneaker and the look of a somewhat dressier shoe - I dunno?

But what I do like is that shoe that Visvim brought out that looks almost like a wingtip brogue but with a sneaker sole...does anyone know the name of that model?

Thanks..

^I think is called the buckminster cap...

I think the styling of the FBT is better than the FBT2 because of the sole. I like how the sole on the FBTs are slimer towards the forefoot. I also like the flap on the these shakers that gives these a good contrast.

With these all suede shoes, I'm really trying to keep them dry. I have the sand color so stains will show easily. Any of yall Visvim owners use a rain guard treatment?

Hanstch, you say that the FBT2s are not lined with pigskin in the forefoot. Did they just leave it the reverse side of raw suede such as the the rough side of a timberland boot tounge?

fellas, just copped a pair of sand FTBs from chapter world in Tokyo this summer. I hope I don't see anyone else in my area wearing these for a long time! anyway, just wondering what the status is with the suede and rain, being in Seattle (where apparently it rains every day, not really) I'm a little worried about funking up the leather. Any products, tips?? Mille grazie

I wasn't even aware UNDFTD had a colab with Visvim when I purchased my pair

Also, I've never been to an UNDFTD store or seen anyone wear the clothing in Seattle or anywhere esle I've been for that matter, so.......as for your statement: it doesn't fly.

but anyway, any suggestions on taking care of the suede in wet conditions? thanks in advance. peace out

unless you want to trash them, you should treat -any- suede shoes you get w/some kind of clear water-repellant spray. this keeps them looking fresh so much longer, and when they do get dirty it's so much easier to clean them up w/a suede brush and block. i just stick w/the spray cans of Kiwi brand suede and nubuck protector...you can get this stuff at Wal-Mart, and grab a little suede brush/eraser package off the same rack while you're at it.

air macks, my first visvim purchase was before undftd did a collab with them and i am NOT feeling the collab honestly (sorry Jupa if you're reading the thread) that's why I didnt get them.

as for that so-called "stick-out syndrome", i guess that's the intended effect. if you guys have seen the FBT2 lo that was released a few seasons ago you'll notice an even more conspicuous folding and jutting out of the suede piece.