australia :: melbourne :: shopping

Tyro1

If the watch is purchased overseas, and you import it to Austrlia for personal use, you have to pay tax on items valued $1000AUD or more.

If you get it sent to you, and the value is marked below $1000, you could avoid paying the tax

If you buy it here the tax is already factored in to the price.

well it depends, on whether you have postage insurance. If you do, you would need to mark the parcel at the correct value I think. If yo u mark down the value and it gets discovered, I think you just have to pay the tax, you would have had to of paid anyway.

It's illegal to mark down the price of a package. Which is why many overseas stores don't do it. But a lot of people do it anyway and get away with it.

having said that, I don't know how much customs really looks into the value of things, if they would go and actually look up the value of the specific watch.

yeh it all comes down to if you want to risk losing the watch in the mail.. Would it be worth marking down the package or not.. I would mark it down though.. Peasant status:o

Are you Australian? If you are leaving Australia and returning from the states you can have our tax refunded but will probably have your home countries tax added on.

You will have to pay tax whether the watch is used for personal or business use afaik.

yeh it all comes down to if you want to risk losing the watch in the mail.. Would it be worth marking down the package or not.. I would mark it down though.. Peasant status:o

Are you Australian? If you are leaving Australia and returning from the states you can have our tax refunded but will probably have your home countries tax added on.

You will have to pay tax whether the watch is used for personal or business use afaik.

Nope, I am an international. I was thinking if i could do the (tourist) tax refund at airport eventually though. But when i checked the website, they specifically state that you cant claim the tax back for all online purchases.

So if it is insured, and the price is marked down $950, that means i can only get $950 back?

*edit: and oh yeah, this is the watch :)http://www.tagheuer.com/the-collection/carrera/men/automatic-chronograph-tachymetre/index.lbl?w=CV2010.BA0786

haha don't worry about lowering the value of it then.. We are only talking about importing here..:P I thought you were from the States or something. To get the tax back you will need to show proof of purchase.

Nah you only have to worry about your own taxes.. Yes you can get your purchases Goods and Services Tax refunded.. afaik

I think you confused a few people with your original question;)

^ oh wait, what i meant by international is i am an international student. I think my interpretation of "Australian" is different there :P. I thought being an international or australian would be different in the taxation system or something.

Yeah, what i am trying to import that watch from www.authenticwatches.com (its located in USA) to melbourne here. should i just mark down the value?

edit:* but even with showing proof of purchase, i dont think we can claim the tax back. i read in the website they don't do tax refund for online purchases.

yo, i'm a US10 across the board in runners, US9.5 in chucks being the exception:

am i a 42 or 43 in designer shoes/sneakers?

the reason i ask is because i've been 'happily' wearing raf sneakers in 42 (pretty snug, i'll admit), order a few raf dress shoes in 42 and they're well too tight.

fuck i hate copping shoes online, but there are no decent shoes available in melbourne at a decent pricepoint.