Japanese leather wallet kits

entropy kid

would this just be done with a sewing machine?

or just how do you construct them?

It looks like you'd have to punch and hand sew everything, and unless you have a leather sewing machine, you'd break a regular one because it's too thick I think.

If the kits were prepunched, it'd be a deal, however for those prices you could buy enough leather to make 5 wallets and all you'd need were an awl, some scissors, needle and thread. All you're paying for is them cutting the pieces for you, which you could easily do yourself.

It looks like you'd have to punch and hand sew everything, and unless you have a leather sewing machine, you'd break a regular one because it's too thick I think.

If the kits were prepunched, it'd be a deal, however for those prices you could buy enough leather to make 5 wallets and all you'd need were an awl, some scissors, needle and thread. All you're paying for is them cutting the pieces for you, which you could easily do yourself.

Is it just me or does the leather look like it is pre-punched? I just think the pictures are too shitty to tell. The ones that are sewn with leather lace definitely have pre-punched holes. I'd be surprised if the ones like the long wallet don't have pre set holes, especially since that's one of the hardest parts of leathercrafting.

yea, i can't tell. on second look they've deff. been trenched for thread, i can't tell if they've been punched.

either way, if they are I think it'd be a cheap little project, basically fool proof. if not, well, theres better ways to spend that money and get good leatherstuff out of it.

I would save your money for something better. It's probably the pictures but the leather has no character; it looks like its 2-3oz chrome-tanned based on the dye selection. You could probably get a better kit stateside for less. I don't know if you're particular about the Parley brand, but it doesn't look like the kits are going to be on par (leatherwise) with the other wallets. I may get negged for this but I'm not really fond of the look of their premades either--they look like bad RM or KC knockoffs.

Based off of the tools they are selling, it seems all the kits contain are pretcut/riveted pieces of leather, and like corter said: trenched, although it doesn't look like they've been spaced either. It would suck if they expected you to use a 2in1 for all the holes. On a somewhat related note: save that money for some mid-sized FH sex.

Since we are on the topic of japanese wallet kits. Would anyone know if I could interchange the Indian Head snap on the KC small wallet with a liberty or eagle half dollar from tandyleather factory and if I would need additional hardware to make the switch. http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/products.asp?DEPT=123&Page=2

I e-mailed Corter but thought I would post anyways to get extra help.

Since we are on the topic of japanese wallet kits. Would anyone know if I could interchange the Indian Head snap on the KC small wallet with a liberty or eagle half dollar from tandyleather factory and if I would need additional hardware to make the switch. http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/p...EPT=123&Page=2

I e-mailed Corter but thought I would post anyways to get extra help.

Hmmm, that seems like a cool idea but I would be considerate of any size discrepancies. Also; last time at Tandy I hadn't checked the quality on the hall dollar ones, but the buffalo headed nickel conchos look/feel like plastic so I'm not sure you'd be willing to potentially botch a decent KC wallet with an oversized fake half dollar. As for the the whole process: I'm not quite sure how you would go about the removal as I have never had the need to undo a set rivet :rolleyes:. I imagine the extraction job being difficult though since you are essentially trying to undo the smooshing of the metal into a clamp(a clamp made so that possible removal is the last thing it should encounter). Hope that helps somewhat...

• 7 months later...