LSD + Elephants

culture

What happens if you give an elephant LSD? Researchers solved this mystery on Friday 3 August 1962, when Warren Thomas, director of Lincoln Park Zoo in Oklahoma City, fired a cartridge-syringe containing 297 milligrams of LSD into the rump of Tusko the elephant. With Thomas were two colleagues from the University of Oklahoma School of Medicine, Louis Jolyon West and Chester M. Pierce.

The dose was about 3000 times what a human would typically take. Thomas, West and Pierce figured that if they were going to give an elephant LSD they'd better not give it too little. They later explained that the experiment was designed to find out if LSD would induce musth in an elephant - musth being a kind of temporary madness male elephants sometimes experience during which they become highly aggressive and secrete a sticky fluid from their temporal glands. One may also suspect a small element of ghoulish curiosity was involved.

Whatever the reason for the experiment, it almost immediately went awry. Tusko reacted as if he had been shot by a gun. He trumpeted around his pen for a few minutes and then keeled over. Horrified, the researchers tried to revive him with a variety of antipsychotics, but about an hour later he was dead. In an article published four months after the event (Science, vol 138, p 1100), the three scientists sheepishly concluded: "It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of LSD."

The experiment instantly made headlines. Faced with a public relations disaster, the scientists protested their innocence. They had not anticipated the elephant would die, they insisted. In their experience, LSD was a powerful hallucinogen but rarely fatal. West and Pierce helpfully noted that they themselves had previously taken the drug.

Thomas tried to find a silver lining. They had learned that LSD can be lethal to elephants. So perhaps, he mused, the drug could be used to destroy herds in countries where they are a problem. For some reason, his suggestion has never found any takers.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg19626281.600-top-10-bizarre-experiments.html?

Science = 1

Elephants = 0

What happens if you give an elephant +++Supreme. 19CM-MIJ. Vans.? Researchers solved this mystery on Friday 3 August 1962, when Hedi Slimane, former artistic director of Dior Homme of Paris, fired a cartridge-syringe containing 297 outfits of +++Supreme. 19CM-MIJ. Vans. into the rump of Tusko the elephant. With Slimane were two colleagues from the House of Dior, Bernard Arnault and Kris van Assche.

The dose was about 3000 times what a human would typically wear. Slimane, Arnault and Assche figured that if they were going to give an elephant +++Supreme. 19CM-MIJ. Vans. they'd better not give it too little. They later explained that the experiment was designed to find out if +++Supreme. 19CM-MIJ. Vans. would induce vertical falling in an elephant - vertical falling being a kind of temporary madness male elephants sometimes experience during which they become highly aggressive and secrete rafe simmonz from their temporal glands. One may also suspect a small element of ghoulish curiosity was involved.

Whatever the reason for the experiment, it almost immediately went awry. Tusko reacted as if he had been shot by a dslr. He trumpeted around his pen for a few minutes and then keeled over. Horrified, the researchers tried to revive him with a variety of +++Ann Demeulemeester. Rick Owens. Julius., but about an hour later he was dead. In an article published four months after the event (Vogue, vol 138, p 1100), the three scientists sheepishly concluded: "It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of +++Supreme. 19CM-MIJ. Vans.."

The experiment instantly made headlines. Faced with a public relations disaster, the scientists protested their innocence. They had not anticipated the elephant would die, they insisted. In their experience, +++Supreme. 19CM-MIJ. Vans. was powerful brand synergy but rarely fatal. Slimane and Arnault helpfully noted that they themselves had previously taken the cluthing.

Slimane tried to find a silver lining. They had learned that +++Supreme. 19CM-MIJ. Vans. can be lethal to elephants. So perhaps, he mused, the cluthins could be used to destroy herds in countries where they are a problem. For some reason, his suggestion has never found any takers.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg19626281.600-top-10-bizarre-experiments.html?

+++Supreme. 19CM-MIJ. Vans. = 1

Elephants = 0

• 1 month later...

An Effervescing Elephant

with tiny eyes and great big trunk

once whispered to the tiny ear

the ear of one inferior

that by next June he'd die, oh yeah!

because the tiger would roam.

The little one said: "Oh my goodness I must stay at home!

and every time I hear a growl

I'll know the tiger's on the prowl

and I'll be really safe, you know

the elephant he told me so."

Everyone was nervy, oh yeah!

and the message was spread

to zebra, mongoose, and the dirty hippopotamus

who wallowed in the mud and chewed

his spicy hippo-plankton food

and tended to ignore the word

preferring to survey a herd

of stupid water bison, oh yeah!

And all the jungle took fright,

and ran around for all the day and the night

but all in vain, because, you see,

the tiger came and said: "Who me?!

You know, I wouldn't hurt not one of you.

I'd much prefer something to chew

and you're all to scant." oh yeah!

He ate the Elephant

I once saw some (very high) guy take a drop of lsd, give one to someone else than go "hey I forgot to take one!" then drop two by mistake. He wasn't pretty after a while. Poor elephant...