What denim to buy next?

john11f

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, they're still definitely described best by the word "pastoral." They've added guitars, which I really dig, but they haven't really gone anywhere in terms of beats or melodies. Don't get me wrong, it's not bad, but it certainly ain't nothing new.

Actually, this is the best electronic-related thing I've heard in ages:

http://www.bambambambambam.co.uk/uploads/deepspace9mm/Enid%20&%20Rebecca%20-%20Fuck%20Analord.mp3

it's a dj mix, here's a tracklist:

http://www.bambambambambam.co.uk/uploads/deepspace9mm/Enid%20&%20Rebecca%20-%20Fuck%20Analord%20Tracklist.txt

We just kickin shit around. Genre don't matter. I got my Social D tickets all set for October. And I expect The Fall will get over here early in '06. But back to droney heavy music. I expected more from that Melvins/Lustmord collaboration. It doesn't suck, but it shoulda been a friggin' masterpiece. Although, the tune "Bloated Pope" is the shit. right up there with "Boris".

Black Dice isn't bad.

Alien8 is a pretty diverse label (although their quality isn't always spot-on), but yeah, I agree, for the most part the whole GYBE rehash post-rock is tired. I promise you Tim Hecker sounds absolutely nothing like that. However, on the post-rock tip...

Larsen's "Play" (released on Important Records; ironically enough, their first album "Rever" was released by Gira on Young God) is probably my favorite record this year. Amazing, beautiful, haunting droning post-rock that is actually an entire album of Autechre "covers"! Go read up on it at Allmusic. It is amazing. Apparently Larsen, a bunch of mysterious Italians, holed themselves up in a studio, listened to Autechre, and tried to play their songs back on their guitars, drums, and violin. It didn't really work (there's only one direct Ae cover on the album: track 5 is a cover of VLetrmx21) but Autechre's influence is all over the disc, and it is a fucking masterpiece.

Also I discovered Laddio Bolocko this year; they were a NYC noise-psych-post-prog-rock outfit that died away in 2000, but their discography was released last year by No Quarter. Amazing, beautiful, noisy as fuck, totally crucial in all respects. Like standing on the edge of a bridge watching the sun explode while listening to krautrock on an amp turned up to 11.

edit: Just noticed you mentioned Boris! Boris are one of my absolute favorite bands in the world.

Also, you seem to live in NYC: GO SEE CIRCLE AND MERZBOW AT THE KNITTING FACTORY!! Merzbow is tired Japanoise but Circle is amazing, fucking incredible Finnish post-prog-psyck-kraut-rock that will blow you the fuck away in 100 million ways and make everything you've heard before look tired and weak. (ok, I'm biased, Circle are my favorite band ever!)

Edited by minya on Sep 12, 2005 at 03:14 PM

edit again: nice to see someone knows Laddio Bolocko! And yeah, I grabbed the Psychic Paramount disc which is great but it is mastered SO FUCKING LOUD that almost ruins it.

Edited by minya on Sep 12, 2005 at 03:15 PM

Did you mention This Heat? Nobody knows who they are. This Heat. Wire. The Fall. That was it for me way back once upon a time. Talk about nostalgia. I may very well hit that Circle gig. The band that totally kicks my ass right now is Supersilent. Pure genius. I saw them at tonic. Oh my god. If they didn't completely blow that shit apart. Masterful improvisation. Brilliant. And they are soooooo young. If they continue to grow, what they may accomplish is mind-boggling. Genius.

Quote: "Born in the bucolic city of Pori, Finland, Circle has been defying expectations since 1991. This unpredictable ensemble led by Jussi Lehtisalo has been reinventing, refining and perfecting its technical drones and heavy riffs over the course of numerous European, American and Japanese releases. The band effortlessly devours and personalizes skewed progressive-rock rhythms, distorted guitar firepower, cosmic sound paintings, gleaming minimalism, Kraut-influenced phrase repetition, and hymnal incantations written in a made-up language called Meronian. Circle’s instantly recognizable albums and frantic live sets have garnered ample international praise while masterfully exploring the outer limits of grinding tension and celestial calm."
Alright. I'm interested. Btw, Magma created their own language thirty some odd years ago. Circle. Oh yeah, I'm on it.