What denim to buy next?

john11f

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Listen up. Here is what you need to know about jeans. Sugar Cane. Period. End of story. These garments speak integrity. Old school panache. Timelessness. They out Levi Levi. You need these. Everything else is just shallow, empty-headed, fashion. And I hate fashion. Seven, Carpe, and all the other designer, trendy, "Oh, won't you please look at me", excuses for denim, should give it up, or just continue to chase after no-talent Hollywood type to pimp their garments. "OOOOO, did you see the jeans Brad's wearing?" Projectile vomit on Brad and his jeans. Do you hear me yet? Don't follow trends. Rather, raise your middle finger up to all the clones.

I got the 1947 5 pocket one-wash, and the 9 oz. workshirt. They kill. Murder. I wear these and I ain't try'n' to give a f**K about s**T. Next up is Buzz Rickson's 1950 five pocket. $235 + $14 for shipping. One dollar short of $250. "Fitty", as the kid's say. But listen real hard....You don't hear me crying. I heard that. All further talk of denim has just been rendered null & void. Feel me?

Peace. I'm out.

Quote:

BEN DAVIS (THE ORIGINAL APE)

LEMON YELLOW ALIFE 501'S (NOT JUST FOR DISPLAY)

ACID WASHED W/ELASTIC WAISTS (IM ALREADY SEEING SOME ON THE STREETZ)

--- Original message by Selegna on Sep 10, 2005 09:50 PM

what do the alife look like? and how much do they cost?

Quote:

sugar cane is always a good bet. nudie makes some great jeans, but they're not as "authentic" as the sugar cane. so, it depends on what you're after. i own some levi's copies, but i also love my nudie rr selvage.

--- Original message by darknworn on Sep 10, 2005 11:04 PM

What does being an "authentic" pair jeans entail? Are you referring to which denim has the closest semblance to Levi's? If I want Levie's, I'll buy Levi's. But I learned from this forum that sugar cane 1947 has an even more incredible fit and fabric than the real thing. I'm more attractive to sugar canes because these qualities rathen than it being the best copier of Levi's.

I'm not trying to defend Nudie but at least they're trying to establish its name out of their own merits. I think we share the same preference (based on the parameters in which I presented my question) but I don't get the arguement of getting the sugar canes on the basis of "authenticity" based on how it copies Levi's best.

Nudie? Like, where's my skateboard, dude? Can I, too, have a bong hit? Slouchy, sloppy. I saw something like those in the A&F catalog, didn't I? Slouchy and sloppy. Nah. And spare me that "broken in" look. No thanks.

My point is- to whomever posed the question- is that you are in pursuit of fashion. Obviously. I reiterate: I hate fashion. Fashion week begins here in NYC. Can we place all those clones in detention centers? Swap them with all those detainees your beloved President is holding illegally? Git Mo, here they come! Feel Me?

Btw, if you don't know that "Buzz Rickson" is the name of a character played by the great Steve McQueen in "The War Lover", maybe you really don't need these.

Quote:

Nudie? Like, where's my skateboard, dude? Can I, too, have a bong hit? Slouchy, sloppy. I saw something like those in the A&F catalog, didn't I? Slouchy and sloppy. Nah. And spare me that "broken in" look. No thanks.

My point is- to whomever posed the question- is that you are in pursuit of fashion. Obviously. I reiterate: I hate fashion. Fashion week begins here in NYC. Can we place all those clones in detention centers? Swap them with all those detainees your beloved President is holding illegally? Git Mo, here they come! Feel Me?

Btw, if you don't know that "Buzz Rickson" is the name of a character played by the great Steve McQueen in "The War Lover", maybe you really don't need these.

--- Original message by Denimheadcase on Sep 11, 2005 11:03 AM

Sorry, you don't know what Nudie is then.

tally-hoo

Denimheadcase,

I think most of us agree completely on Sugarcanes and Buzz Rickson. There are other brands, however, that deserve consideration too. Not to mention the many many brands from Japan that are in the same league of 'Canes. Nudie and others appeal to some people, as 'Canes and others appeal for different reasons. No need to hate those. Nudie has a good quality, a more modern style that fits some people better, and other details...

There's so many good brands that you can't limit yourself to one. It doesn't make much sense to start comparing Sugarcanes to 45rpm, to 5EP, Denime, Flat Head, Eternal, Warehouse, Full Count, as well as Nudie, APC, Howies, etc. It is not about being better anymore, it is too subjective.

Don't hate the playa, hate the game.

And the game, at least as you're playing it is, "Where can I buy my next pair of jeans". For you see, I am done. I never have to purchase another pair. For years. The longer I wear these splendid dungarees the better they look. But you will forever be swinging from branch-to-branch in pursuit of the newest pair of "Oh, won't you please look at me" jeans. And for that I feel terribly sorry for you. May you one day find peace.

Actually, I'd rather be giving Levi my $250. But you know what, Levi ain't serious. Check it out: I went to their half-assed selvedge shop d/town looking to try on a pair of their vintage items. I asked for my size and went behind the drawn curtain because they don't feature dressing rooms. I couldn't get into the jean. It did not fit. Ok, because I had a few minutes to kill, I asked for the next size up. Two sizes. Still no luck. I'm all like, "What the fuck?!" That's when it hit me, Levi's lack of seriousness. Those jeans were cut for a seventeen year old boy, or some shit. What, waste my time? Further, the damn jean didn't look all that good, anyway. With some jive-ass grinding, and lame-ass wash. Please. Because I am an American, who dearly loves his country, but hates this criminally corrupt government (I add this as an important aside), I wanted to give Levi my cash. So, their loss. But dat's ok. I got the Buzzster making dungarees I can relate to, and want to own. Levi can kiss muh ass.

Dig. I rather like the Jean Shop on West 14th. But their prices are psychotic. Really. They need to be placed on anti-depressants. Immediately. $230 for a slevedge workshirt? Hahahaha. And then they woke up. But there will be some clone who will falll all over itself trying to buy one. May they too find peace one day. My Sugar Cane workshirt set me back a mere $85. And it is the bomb and the damn mushroom cloud. Feel me? Their suede jackets are boss. But not at $950. They would sell more of them priced at a more reasonable $600-$700, or so. Those jackets will hang on those racks till Jesus comes to buy one. Word.

I love you all. Now go buy some Rogans.

Quote: and about sugar canes; yes, they are nice. but they are still copies of an original.
No doubt. But, you see, I live in NYC, and it is to my tragic misfortune that every day I am forced to witness what I call The March Of The Clones. These shallow wonders who parade their asses around town in their fashionably sandpapered jeans. YAWN. Forgive me, but they all really should be forced to spend some time in Iraq, fighting on behalf of our corrupt President. It is the humble opinion of yours truely that Sugar Cane or Buzz Rickson dungarees speak to a simpler ethic. A more subtle code. An idea and a time I am pleased to represent when I slip them on. Do I really need to see people out here seriously discussing Dior jeans? I mean, really. What kind of soulless, mirror-gazing, automaton would wear such things? The dimension of the void within those clones is immeasurable.

Ian Brown's new disc is very fine. "No I.D. card won't stop no highjacked jet." Who you tellin'? Yo, we got a new Boards Of Canada dropping in October. I am looking forward.