fuck dentists

Guest DUM

dentists have the highest suicide rate of any medical profession.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/010420.html

Suicide among white male American dentists is higher than average but not as high as among white male American doctors. (Sorry to limit this to white men, but that's all the data I had to work with.) Don't fret, though. Dentists' death rates from other causes are lower, and on average they live several years longer than the general population. Ditto for doctors.

i hate dentist

i havent gone in 7 years. my tooth hurts with cold stuff or hot stuff or sweet stuff in the back. i dont know whether to take it seriouly or not cause the pain comes and goes. im pretty sure if i go to a dentist im fucked.

wow for waiting so long you're probably piling on a ton of dental work to be done on you. get it all done and feel better that you don't have to go for another year.

I got a filling the other day and got shot up with novocaine for the first time (I've never had major dental work). Only advice is if you get novocaine, don't eat...I got some food and was chewing my cheek/biting my tongue the entire time without feeling anything, and when the shit wore off, ow ow fuck ow

Common symptoms of an acute tooth abscess is a toothache or a persistent, throbbing pain at the site of the infection.[1] Putting pressure or warmth on the tooth can induce extreme pain.

In some cases, a tooth abscess may perforate bone and start draining into the surrounding tissues creating local facial swelling. The lymph glands in the neck in some cases will become swollen and tender in response to the infection.

Stage 1

17999606434196783306bpf1.jpg

An untreated severe tooth abscess may become large enough to perforate bone and extend into the soft tissue. From there it follows the path of least resistance. Largely dependent on the location of the infected tooth; the thickness of bone, muscle and fascia attachments, the infection then spreads either internally or externally.

External drainage may begin as a boil which bursts allowing pus drainage from the abscess, intraorally (usually through the gum) or extra orally. Chronic drainage will allow an epithelial lining to form in this communication to form a pus draining canal (fistula). Sometimes this type of drainage will partially relieve some of the painful symptoms associated with the pressure.

Stage 2

568252123e6c0070decbws3qf5.jpg

Internal drainage is of more concern as growing infection makes space within the tissues surrounding the infection. Severe complications requiring immediate hospitalisation include Ludwig's angina, which is a combination of growing infection and cellulitis which closes the airway space causing suffocation in extreme cases. Also infection can spread down the tissue spaces to the mediastinum which has significant consequences on the vital organs such as the heart. Another complication, usually from upper teeth, is a risk of septicaemia (infection of the blood), from connecting into blood vessels. Brain abscess, while extremely rare, is also a possibility.

Depending on the severity of the infection, the sufferer may feel only mildly ill, or may in extreme cases require hospital care.

luckily, my abscess hasn't caused me any pain worse than your regular headache or something. And unlike what I'm reading about most abscesses, mine is right in front which makes it easier for the dentists to work on and also cheaper (for my parents :))

The 'structure' of the bump is still there, still causes a little discomfort with certain movements of my nose or something...but it's 'deflated' completely and not enough stuff is coming out to bother me. I'll see the dentist monday. Hoping I don't need a root canal, but whatever it takes to fix it...because leaving it would cause a lot more pain than fixing it.

• 2 weeks later...

so I went a couple days ago and he checked the tooth under it and declared that shit DEAD. the nerve inside the tooth didn't feel shit..so he told me he could do what they needed to do without giving me any shots 'cause I wouldn't feel a thing anyway. this made me happy.

so he drilled into the back of my tooth and cleaned the canal out I guess, he was pushing what was left of the abscess and I guess the stuff was coming through into my tooth (where it originates) where he could clean it. and put a temporary filler over the hole and I'd go back in like a week. He didn't give me any antibiotics which I thought was weird.

so it's been a couple days and the abscess (which was pretty much gone since I drained it myself) is back to the size it was when I noticed it...if it comes back to full bothering-the-fuck-out-of-me size I'm going to be mad pissed..plus that shit draining in your mouth is not cool.

ok here's my fuck dentists story..

i had a big cavity on my top molar, i put up with it for months until one day i woke up in so much pain i could not take it anymore. i go to the dentist and tell her, look im self employed and have no insurance, i need the cheepest solution. She says a root canal is needed and its gonna be like $700ish. At this point im in so much pain im like ok fuck it and busted out the mastercard.

So she starts hooking up the root canal, towards the end she stops... and in some broken korean/english she says oh this is too deep of a cavity we need to do an implant or some shit like that. Im like WHAT THE FUCK..?! She says all and all it will come out to around $2200. Now im pissed and i say JUST PULL IT OUT.... NOW.

She looks kinda pissed off and is like you know how hard its gonna be to pull it out now that ive done the root canal to you?? If i wasnt sitting in the chair with my fuckin mouth all opened up and bloody i would have pushed over the desk and walked out. So she ends up crushing my tooth in to a million pieces and takes them all out for another $300.

So i ended up getting a $700 root canal for fun + a $300 tooth crush/pull out. I could have walked in and got it pulled whole for $150.

See she should have been able to tell how deep that cavity was when we started and she knew i was strapped for cash too. I told her from the start i had no problem losing the tooth since it was so far back there anyways. And what did she do?? she fucked me.

I know its only a grand, but at the time i was so fucking broke it wasnt even funny. But i am about $3000 in the hole from all sorts of medical bills to this day.

and that is bullshit.

a root canal is just that though, a cavity DOWN TO THE ROOT and NERVE. not to say she didn't fuck you, but you could have figured it out that losing a tooth was much cheaper than having a root canal done. Anyone who says the whole "Dentists have the highest suicide rate" is full of shit, with the above example in mind, doctors don't make that much for a procedure....I told my friend in dental school (who has his dad's practice worth 500k per year) that he should go for the whole package, after dental school, get your certified jewelers certificate as well. I'm gonna make him mold me some platinum grills.

yeah i know what you mean.. but at the time dude my face was throbbing and i just wanted it to go away. she said $700 i was like ok fuck it.

but from now on if i go to a dentist.. unless you can see the tooth when i smile, that shit is getting yanked out.

I fucking hate dentists. They get up in your mouth, cause some acute pain, and then give you a big fucking bill. Who the fuck knows if they did any good, or just jabbed your gums with an ice pick a few times while they shove their Rolex up your nose and stick you with a $600 bill.

I didn't have dental insurance a few years back and needed my wisdom teeth out. I went to Pharmaco, a drug testing company, b/c they promised to do the operation for free and give me $500 in exchange for allowing them to test experimental pain meds on me after the operation. They pull the fucking wisdom teeth out with only local and nitrous, don't put me under. So I'm sitting there conscious as they slice open my gums, crack apart the teeth, wrench them out - blood is gushing all over, I'm listening to Black Sabbath on my walkmen. Horrifying.

They finally finish up, and Pharmaco gives me the experimental pain killer. They warn we that it may only be a placebo. As the local starts to wear off, dull, throbbing pain sets in. They do a blood draw on my arm every 20 minutes to test blood levels. My cheeks start swelling up, looking like a chipmonk. We're sitting in these recliners with a bunch of other patients. One dickweed starts playing Star Wars movies. On after the other. I can't watch that nerd bullshit anymore. The dentists ruined it for me.