Gem_art

oops posted this in the bicyclettes thread before i seen this one..my newest project..just finished it a couple weeks ago:

bikee-1.jpg

'87 dyno d-tour

GT blue soft grips

Dyno white seat

Dyno drainpipe seat post

GT stem

Dyno pretzel freestyle bars

GT six spoke old school mags

kenda blue tires, White GT alloy pedals

KMC blue and silver chain

Odyssey old school brakes and levers

Dyno 44 tooth chain wheel

Gt frame standers

GT fork standers

yessss! finally a bmx thread! i'm in the process of building a pk ripper looptail. bought the frame from cl. it was covered with a horrible white spray paint job. i stripped it and found out it was pretty beat. but after a good polishing and a hard ano it looks amazing. it's in pieces right now but here's the list of parts:

- nos redline v-bar

- nos ame short grips

- vintage dk stem

- tioga headset

- unstamped landing gear forks (got them in original beat up black powdered condition but had them stripped and chromed)

- vintage 44 t redline chainwheel

- redline flight 3 piece cranks (not vintage. don't have $300 to spend right now)

- redline bb

- nos beartrap pedals

- cheng shin skinwalls

- skyway tuff II's

- nos odyssey bulldog lever and brakes

- repro "pk ripper", "se racing" headtube and "landing gear" decals

the chainwheel and stem need a good polishing but after that i'll be ready to put it all together. here's some pics during the paint stripping:

before

pk6.jpg

the tools (steel wool not shown)

pk5.jpg

paint stripper going to work

pk2.jpg

pk4.jpg

section complete

pk3.jpg

kiya- the collection looks amazing. bmxmuseum is an amazing site with a great community. will update with pics once the pk's done. good to see the love for bmx here.

^ nice pick up alley..cant wait to see the finished product.

i been thinking about building on a ripper frame..considering it for my next project.

i also have a early 90's compe and a khe stylus for flatland.

bmxmuseum is great and yes nice collection indeed kiya..too bad im all the way in philly or we could hit the streets

with the fixie blowout vintage BMX prices have gone down on CL. makes me happy.

now if i can get my hands on om flyer frame, i would be a happy womang.

Finally a BMX thread.

I am looking for an OM Flyer myself but it is not possible find a cheap one.

Right now I am looking for 1st gen Haro freestyler and a loop PK Ripper as well.

^ nice pick up alley..cant wait to see the finished product.

i been thinking about building on a ripper frame..considering it for my next project.

i also have a early 90's compe and a khe stylus for flatland.

bmxmuseum is great and yes nice collection indeed kiya..too bad im all the way in philly or we could hit the streets

hope you can find the pk loop you're after. it's tough finding one for a decent price cuz most people that have them know what they're worth - just look at the prices on ebay. i got lucky since the guy selling the one i got didn't want to deal with the hassle of stripping it down. the uni seat that came with it was stuck as well and there was a crack in the seat mast. if you can find a beater like mine and don't mind putting in some work i think you'll be able to save some $$. good luck and keep us posted.

I havent ridden since i was 14...got a few questions 7 years later...

Terrible One still around? What about FBM? Who is the big new star?

Has street riding progressed at all? Seemed like when i stopped 99-2000, it was starting to get a little stale...in that any much more progression and people were gonna start killing themselves. And its not like skateboarding, you can't exctly tailwhip into or out of a rail.

Who wants to sum up the past 7 years or so :) ?

Has street riding progressed at all? Seemed like when i stopped 99-2000, it was starting to get a little stale...in that any much more progression and people were gonna start killing themselves. And its not like skateboarding, you can't exctly tailwhip into or out of a rail.

Haha, You'd be surprised at what people are doing these days!

Yep T1 still going strong though Taj leaving to ride for Giant was a bit of a surprise. I guess he's in his mid-thirties now and wants to make some money before he can't push it any more.

FBM are still going though I get the impression that they're finding life quite difficult financially as so many new companies have popped up in the last few years and a lot of large companies (Giant) are getting involved again. The average weight of a bike has dropped from the mid-thirty pound mark to mid-twenties and they're just as strong.

There's been an almost complete separation between sponsored comp jockeys and riders who make a living out of filming video sections and shooting photos. If you fall into the first camp then you need to get acquainted with your second home the foam pit quite quickly.

Ruben A's still amazing and the best editor working in BMX at the moment is English:

http://www.defgrip.net/v3/videos/tomorrow_we_work_defgrip/twwdefgripfull.mov

People (well Dave Osato) have tried whipping onto rails and they've gone up them to whip out (this forum's Chad M if memory serves being one of them) Van Homan's section on Criminal Mischief has still not been bettered and someone is going to die riding dirt if they don't calm down on the double flip circus tricks.

Fuck, this threads brings back some memories...

I'm tempted to get back into BMX'ing by learning how to ride street (I jumped dirt for years) but everyone in San Diego appears to be on the fixie tip, so I'll probably just go with learning how to skateboard. Easier to find people to get help from.

whats up with Home Ave these days? haven't been in YEARS

What's the general consensus on cruisers? (24 or 26) Are they decent for bombing around town? I'm thinking of getting one to take to work on sunny days in summer. Who makes a decent one? They seem to be sidenotes on most manufacturers site.

i'm a huge fan, especially of the old old school models. they're much more rare and harder to find (the old school models that is) than their 20" counterparts. this floval is one of my favorites at bmxmuseum:

img_4629_lg.jpg

and this 81 gt 26" is pretty dope (btw, the chainwheel and crank set-up is the same that i've got going on in my pk looptail build)

dsc02319_lg.jpg

I love the retro looking bikes, I've been lurking on vintagebmx.com for a while now. SE makes some interesting simulacras of their golden years. The 2008 OM Flyer looks like a fun bike, but that red/gold colourway is god-awful. Just noticed they are selling "SE" fixies this season too. Are they just rebranded Fuji's?

http://www.sebikes.com/2008/bikes.asp

i just ran the idea i had of building an old bike past my dad, when he reminded me i've got a couple bikes still on his patio (rotting, btw) - specifically an '89 (or around that date) dyno detour, and an early 90's dyno blaze. looks like i have my work cut out for me. i'll post pics of the carnage when i can get down and get the bikes.

i just ran the idea i had of building an old bike past my dad, when he reminded me i've got a couple bikes still on his patio (rotting, btw) - specifically an '89 (or around that date) dyno detour, and an early 90's dyno blaze. looks like i have my work cut out for me. i'll post pics of the carnage when i can get down and get the bikes.

if you've got mild surface rust on chrome take some aluminum foil, wad it up, dip it in coca-cola and start running it across the surface of the chrome. rust will come right off. did it to a 93 gt interceptor.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know about you guys but i've been taking full advantage of the nice weather the past few days here on the east. I

'd need some recommendations on frames/forks/wheels/and cranks, i'm looking to set up a new bike for the summer months. help me out.

also watch this awesome video

Riding without brakes has become massively popular in the last three or four years to the extent that starter completes are now offered in brakeless versions. (madness in my opinion, kids need to learn to ride in a straight line before the brakes come off)

There are a couple of reasons for this increased popularity; firstly there's been an explosion in brakeless street riding heralded by the first Animal video (I know there were plenty of people doing it before...) Secondly, basic maintenence is a lot simpler if you remove the only part of a bike that requires some finesse to set up.

If anyone is near Sheffield this weekend the Tomorrow We Work premier is on:

flyer%20final.jpg

For those not aquainted with Voices (Joe Cox's first video and in my mind the seminal BMX video of the last few years) here you go:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1243521698767995654

the no brakes thing has alot to do with street guys like how gem_art said about the animal guys

but i think the really big explosion of it has alot to do with riders wanting to have better flow and stuff for example guys like eddie cleveland, chase dehart, ian schwartz the list goes on.

• 3 weeks later...

Thread back from the dead;

I don't ride Vert, too scary for me which makes this even more daft:

He's been trying them for years, I think this is the first one to the pedals.

Whilst I'm at it some other links:

1. Ratty English kids riding street.

http://www.mattylambert.com/nonstopvid_compressed.mov

2. Ratty American kids riding street.

http://www.fitbikeco.com/webvids.html

3. BMX'ers discover HD cameras

http://www.defgrip.net/