Looking for good looking unusual cell phones

Reaperducer

My wife wants a new cell phone.

The requirements are:

Bluetooth

Tri-band GSM or better

Very attractive/unusual looking.

I've been very disappointed with the phones I've seen in the store these days. They all look pretty much the same. The Motorola Razr and Razr Black are nice, but everyone's got them and because they're so cheap (I've even seen them free on Amazon with instant rebate) they've become really ghetto.

Nokia has an interesting phone that has no keypad, it uses a scroll wheel like an iPod, but at $700 it's a little out of my range.

I recently came back from Japan and was disappointed by what I saw there. The cell phone diversity doesn't live up to the hype unless you want a phone that looks like it was made out of Legos.

So, I appeal to all of you knowledgeable shoppers -- what phones am I overlooking that a fashion-conscious woman would like?

I'm not sure why they got so cheap so quickly. If i was an early adopter on that I'd be pretty angry.

I know the Razr is on T-Mobile and Ciingular in the U.S. I think the carriers realize the same thing that a lot of users do -- there aren't many great phones out there worth shelling out real money for, and people are holding on to their old handsets longer since number portability came along. I have an old Ericsson T68mc. It's beat to hell, but it still works and is very small. I just haven't found any phones that inspire me. My wife has a Z600 that I'll start using when I find something for her. It's almost twice as thick as my phone, but it's nice.

Quote:

www.oki-ni.com has some Motorla V600 with designs from designers such as: Tanner Krolle, Eley Kishimoto and Gavin Turk. Each Design is only made in 20 pieces so you will probably be the only one in your city...

http://www.oki-ni.com/okini.storefront/EN/Catalog/1181

--- Original message by Berget__ on Aug 18, 2005 02:52 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. I'd shown my wife the V600 before, and she doesn't like the antenna sticking out of her phones. She thinks it makes them look too nerdy.

Guest Berget__
Quote:
Quote:

www.oki-ni.com has some Motorla V600 with designs from designers such as: Tanner Krolle, Eley Kishimoto and Gavin Turk. Each Design is only made in 20 pieces so you will probably be the only one in your city...

http://www.oki-ni.com/okini.storefront/EN/Catalog/1181

--- Original message by Berget__ on Aug 18, 2005 02:52 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. I'd shown my wife the V600 before, and she doesn't like the antenna sticking out of her phones. She thinks it makes them look too nerdy.

--- Original message by Reaperducer on Aug 18, 2005 08:47 AM

Too bad...i wouldn´t mind having the Eley kishimoto one...

Another tip is the Samsung T500, i just love the design.

pic1.jpg

I aint gotta get money man money get me

Edited by Berget__ on Aug 18, 2005 at 10:18 AM

i'm more function over aesthetics. i have my eye on this phone but it's current price ($1300 USD) and lack of vibrate is kinda an issue with me.

N90_pro.jpg

"it's just a phase and you know damn well that you'll fall off in a minute cause that shit don't sell"

Quote:

man usa has some shit phones thats all i gotta say.

this is where its at

900i.nttdocomo.co.jp

Edited by absolut on Aug 18, 2005 at 11:04 AM

--- Original message by absolut on Aug 18, 2005 11:04 AM

heh heh, that's cuz everyone wants a free phone, the carriers subsidize the crap out of them. They're eating each other alive.

The problem with buying a phone in Japan is that very few Japanese phones work anywhere else, and the ones that do can only be bought with a contract, just like in the United States.

I went to Japan with the typical Western notion that everything will be an electronics wonderland over there, and that all Japanese have these magical phones that are so much better than American phones and so much cheaper. It isn't true. Airtime is very expensive in Japan, and very little on what's on the web sites ever shows up in stores or is available for order. I spent two months looking at stores and web sites trying to find a phone, and for the most part they suck just as badly as the average Nokia/Ericsson/Motorola fare. What you see on the web doesn't match up with reality.

Even more of a problem is that it's now illegal to sell cell phones to gaijin (non-Japanese people) who don't have a government-issued gaijin card. So, there goes all notions of buying a phone and bringing it back home.

^ Too much

I have a Treo 650 (Sprint - stateside only but phenom on the features) & a Moto Razr (T Mobile - 130 countries) Both the best in the respective classes IMO..

The Razr has basically become the Moto V60 from a couple years ago where EVERYONE has one... But they are great!

Stick wit the basics is what I guess I'm saying.

-Dub

If you want to be unique you have to go to a chinatown cell phone store and pick up a "gray" market phone which is not imported to the US by a major carrier. The vast majority of these phones are GSM. A few that come to mind are the Samsung e630 (sick phone for cheap) or the Sony k750i (2mp camera in the US, available now)

Quote:

If you want to be unique you have to go to a chinatown cell phone store and pick up a "gray" market phone which is not imported to the US by a major carrier. The vast majority of these phones are GSM. A few that come to mind are the Samsung e630 (sick phone for cheap) or the Sony k750i (2mp camera in the US, available now)

--- Original message by Tarmac on Aug 18, 2005 03:42 PM

^excellent advice. Also, these phones are always unlocked (at least all the ones I've ever seen), so you can use them with any GSM provider.

you go go to canal, but I personally never tried, i thought most people would go to flushing, ny to get deals.

anyhow, if it is a gsm phone, it will work with any carrier if it is unlocked which they should be able to use any provider's sim card. However if it is locked, you can have it unlocked at that store most likely. Next, even if the sim card works and phone turns on, make sure it has the right bands / frequencies 800/900/1800/1900 that fit your area....

I recommend getting a tri-band phone or quad band phone if none of this makes sense to you.

Quote:

im goin to ny soontimes n i need a new cellular... are you talking about chinatown in NY?... like canal st? ... n would i be able to bring the phone back to canada n use it with like rogers or whoever?

Edited by showbiz00ditc on Aug 18, 2005 at 09:39 PM

--- Original message by showbiz00ditc on Aug 18, 2005 09:39 PM

If you're in TO, just go up to Pacific Mall in Markham...they have unlocked GSM phones there as well..

Just be warned though, they're not cheap. Expect to pay about $400+ (more like $600 really) for a really decent phone....

Also, I think there's a booth in Eaton Centre on the lower level near the Sony store that sells unlocked GSM phones...also, there's a store on Yonge near Gerrard that sells them as well...

Well, i there's different things that go into the high prices (demand, availability, import costs, etc) but i guess it's easier to explain why the phones from Fido/Rogers, etc are so much cheaper..that's because they're heavily subsidized by the phone companies to get you to lock into a plan/contract.

Think of those phones representing the truer cost of the phone...