Basel, Switzerland

poliopoliopolio

For me the best thing about Basel is the archetecture. Herzog and de Meuron and Diener and Diener have both contributed numerous world-class buildings which are easy to reach from the compact city centre.

If you get the chance visit the Kunstmuseum, there's a Jasper Johns exhibtion on at the moment as well as some good permanent galleries. The Herzog and de Meuron building, the Schaulager is a gallery that looks like the most amazing car park you've ever seen. It's host to a Robert Gober exhibition until October 14th but my highlight is the room of rats.

Regarding places to eat there are a few highlights. Acqua, a resturant in an old pumping station is good as is Noohn. Don Camilio in the old Vartec brewery is a bit more relaxed though the food's not as good and the Kunsthalle in the centre of town is over-rated. Bodega is always busy, the food is alright and there's some good art on the walls.

Bar-Wise I hear Bar Rouge (at the top of Switzerlands tallest building) is good though I've not been. Everything closes really early but the club in the windmill close to Acqua is amusing..

There's a good little record shop up from the Raddison called Atlantis Records (I think). Get a coffee at Fumare Non Fumare if you're in the centre of town. Given that Basel hosts the world watch fare there is very little in the way of vintage watches and the clothing stores that I've seen -though perfectly good at what they do- are unchallenging.

Over the border in the German town/industrial estate are some massive discount warehouses. Apart from masses of the European Carhartt and Edwin (Japanese and European) there are some gems to be found in the warehouse to be found next to the Carhartt skatepark, I've seen clothing from Neighbourhood, Visvim, Good Enough U.K. w)taps over the years.

If you're looking for somewhere to stay the Hotel Kraft is mint, Hermann Hesse wrote Steppenwolf in one of the rooms and the breakfast (taken overlooking the Rhein) is amazing. A walk down the Rhein is a good way to pass the time.

If you skate or ride BMX then there's the Carhartt Skatepark in Weil. There are some trails by the motorway tunnel and the Black Cross Bowl is amazing if tight.

I find Basel a pretty impressive place, if a little stiff, Lausanne is certainly more beautiful. I went to Art Basel this year which was amazing, the party at the end was intense. There's a Wallpaper guide to the city as well if you need more information.

Hope you have a good time.