Dressing to church?

josepidal

Do people in your place still dress up for church?

It's been a pet peeve of mine. My family prefers to attend the 6 PM Sunday service, and I make it a point to at least wear a nice shirt with a collar and leather shoes.

I look around and always see people in gym shoes, t-shirts, and hiphop length denim shorts, and the sad thing is not all of them are below sixteen years old. I even saw one guy who was wearing a long-sleeved shirt that was something like four sizes too big for him -- the stitch on the shoulder was midway between his shoulder and elbow joints, the back of the shirt was almost at his knees, and he just bunched up the front and held it in front of him as though holding up a skirt.

On the other hand, the ends of his jeans were two inches above the laces of his gym shoes.

I understand people wearing casual clothes to church, and jeans and polos look nowhere bad. However, I think the definition of Sunday best has gone to the flip flops.

(And don't get me started about the time I took a gaggle of cousins aged 10 to 16 to see a play and told them to dress up. The teenage girl I told to wear a skirt stared daggers at me when she saw old people in sandals, jeans, and t-shirts.)

It's where we are as a society & it's obviously relected on Sundays...

A lot of people contend that it's about your personal relationship with God & that he doesn't mind how

you come at him, just come.

We get more casual in every way with each passing year.

People feel that a manditory dress clothes idea is very legalistic & exclusionary. Still, folks should

represent themselves to the best of their abilities when in the "house of God" IMO.

"Death" printed on your shirt? Yeah well, sure whatever man.

-Dub

If there is a "God" he could care less about what you wear.

He would also probably condemn the Bible, because it was written and interpreted by man, and man is inherently flawed. For the pace at which mans knowledge of the universe around him has evolved, taking anything literally from a 2000 year old (or so) book is ludicrous in my opinion.

Religious institutions are also inherently flawed and corrupt. Don't get me started on the Catholic Church.

100% of all wars have been started of one of two things: money and/or religion.

WACK.

Now go ahead and flame. icon_smile_big.gif

http://www.tragicbliss.com

Man is flawed but the Bible isn't. Man ruins EVERYTHING from denim & dunks to understanding & serving God.

The Bible was written by God with annointed men as his vessles. Most likely far to deep for a bunch of Bill Moher soundbite to cool for school denim doctor wannabees.

Try not to focus on Christains (or Jews or Muslims or Mormons or Satanists & Witches etc etc) because people & their actions will fail you every time. Try to focus on your personal relationship with God.

Everyone has a Spirit man & a flesh man that they feed (ex: this site feeds the flesh & finding your way to a local Church on the regular feeds the Spirit). It's inherent & it's of God & no accident. We all consciously & sub-consciously know right from wrong & that's of God.

Dead this thread please. Faith cannot be explained in a chat room.

This is a fashion/lifestyle site correct?

Far too many folks will get offended...

If your opinion isn't based on any real Biblical knowledge then you're justing shooting your mouth off & we all know how much that pisses us off when that happens on the subject of denim.

-Dub

i agree with themdouble. religion and politics have been topics of discussion that we humans have been giving our best and brightest minds to for over two thousand years. i can guarantee that none of you will reveal a single ounce of additional knowledge on religion if you devote your entire lifetime of study on this subject. please leave serious topics to serious people. it is an insult to our collective intelligence if you think your one liner can reveal some hidden truth the rest of mankind has missed thus far in our search for truth and knowledge.

please switch subject or let it die.

"God is Dead" - Nietzsche icon_smile_angry.gif

"Neitzsche is Dead" - God icon_smile_cool.gif

God says come as you are. When i go i get dressed, but in some evening services I have worn jeans. The way I look at it is, we get fly to go out and club, why can't we look good coming into the house of the Lord.

We all have our own beliefs and I have a feeling this thread may get out of hand, lol.

Tragic (or anyone), get at me in superprivate & we can sort it out ("what is real Biblical knowledge").

I respect your game in other areas so I don't wanna screw with you on this thread.

Or dead it?

Clowning anything from PD&C to Nike to freakin' Julian Schnabal on supertalk is one thing we seem

to all be in to...

but Faith?

-Dub

Haha, this thread was a disaster!

I didn't mean to come off as a hater... Or did I? Anyway, I don't wanna step on peoples toes, I know everyone has their own beliefs, deep rooted and whatnot. I have my own, and I wouldn't want anyone trying to tell me what I believe is wack either so... I apologize for that.

I guess I'm just a button pusher. Figuratively and literally, I push buttons for a living.

Actually I was raised in one of those new-age Christian churches where they were totally progressive. Rock band, jean shorts and tee shirts. All that laid back stuff so people could just concentrate on the message.

I came to my own conclusions after years of church going however. Organized religion just 'aint for me. I've come to understand my own spirituality, and have been affected in ways far more profound than church services or biblical texts could ever provide.

I had to go to some pretty crazy places, experience some pretty crazy shit and do some pretty gnarly drugs in some pretty low fucking places to get to this point though. And it 'aint a bad thing. I'm entirely grateful for everything that's happened to me in life...

The dominant belief of a "God" just doesn't work for me. That's tied up into a package that is just too pretty. Primitive and/or indigenous peoples of the world had it way more right than any of the major religions of today have it...

Take it or leave it. Ok... I'm done.

http://www.tragicbliss.com