GQ to male population: Buy premium selvedge jeans

josepidal

yeah, that is so 3-4 years ago. Those of us that rocked that look some time ago now have some nicely worn jeans. An at least we got to rock the Valencia street levis. I don't mean to sound so jaded, about it, but it is true. In three years the buzz will be all about real fades on your selvage jeans and not washing them.

Carpe Denim!

1112885282366_selvage1_edited.JPG

^

Well, at least most of the time it seems so. Sometimes it makes me wonder who are they writing the magazine for. Every piece of clothing seems to be from the high-end luxury brands. Would it kill them to feature more affordable stuff. Style is not dependent on big fashion house brands and hefty $$$$ prices. It doesn't even often equal quality. But as far as the rest of GQ's style "advice" is concerned, sometimes I do find something that might give me ideas.

Quote:

http://men.style.com/gq/fashion/landing?id=content_2941

Straight-leg selvedge jeans with a four-inch cuff is #5 on GQ's top ten things to buy for August.

What say you? How highly do you guys regard GQ anyway?

(Flame away?)

--- Original message by josepidal on Jul 26, 2005 09:39 PM

This is a bit disappointing but I guess everything has to hit the mainstream sooner or later..especially when it's a good product. In this case it certainly is! At least these kinds of jeans aren't yet in the mags..

ks7sj.jpg

Quote:

yeah, that is so 3-4 years ago. Those of us that rocked that look some time ago now have some nicely worn jeans. An at least we got to rock the Valencia street levis. I don't mean to sound so jaded, about it, but it is true. In three years the buzz will be all about real fades on your selvage jeans and not washing them.

--- Original message by Serge d Nimes on Jul 26, 2005 10:35 PM

That's a good point Serge! I'm not sure where you live. The trends appear to usually begin in Japan, hit UK 3 years later, and then NYC 6 months after UK..

those are funky jeans.

about GQ, i've been a subscriber for close to 10 yrs. it taught me a lot about style and fashion. however the last 3-4 i've noticed a declining trend in the US version. there is way more advertising than before, and the products they push are not unlike the types of products advertised there. it doesn't have the edge the british GQ has. of course, high dollar items usually get the higher priorities and placements. it is very indicative of how the general population of american male dresses. if the one of the leading popular fashion and style mag for men has been this mediocre, you can't but notice this influence on the general population. surely there have been wonderful and informative pieces now and again, but they seem to be harder to come by. i think this year will be the last for my US subcription. now...only if i can find a way to get the brit subscription, i'd be a happy camper. it's bloody expensive paying regular price at the newstand for those mags.

"God is Dead" - Nietzsche icon_smile_angry.gif

"Neitzsche is Dead" - God icon_smile_cool.gif

The American GQ is useless since you can get all the fashion articles on the website. Heck the website carries better pictures for the fashion articles!

So would you pay that much for a wad of ads with some non-fashion articles thrown in? :) Oh and photos of some girl pretending to be naked, but you can download those for free.

By the way what are those jeans in the photo in the preceding post?

I dunno I have a funny feelnig that no mater how much you despise it or not GQ is predicting the exact stayle you are all doing right now. That whole 1 pair of jeans for two months and 300 squats a day thing may becmoe part of pop culture soon. Think about it, GQ probably got their influence for their predictions from this website. They're probably readnig this stuff right now abuot ya'll takling about their article

"By the way what are those jeans in the photo in the preceding post?" -josepidal

The jeans are "Kaki-Shibu" dyed. Kaki-Shibu is a Persimmon. This denim is very popular in a few of the smaller markets in Japan. The denim itself costs approx $25-$30 per meter..

Quote: This is a bit disappointing but I guess everything has to hit the mainstream sooner or later..especially when it's a good product. In this case it certainly is! At least these kinds of jeans aren't yet in the mags..

No, they're not in the mags, they're just in A&F and AE, which is MUCH worse.

I'm really not feeling non-denim 5 pockets.

Quote:
Quote:

i buy magazines because i don't have a computer in the bathroom.

--- Original message by darknworn on Jul 27, 2005 07:41 AM

buy a treo

--- Original message by thewhitefrankblack on Jul 27, 2005 12:54 PM

yeah - or, 10 years worth of GQ-subscription will get you a nice laptop!

Quote: yeah - or, 10 years worth of GQ-subscription will get you a nice laptop!

what kind of laptop can you buy for 200 bucks?

Quote: buy a treo

have you seen jessica alba in her knickers in a recent GQ issue? a treo is frankly the most inadequate piece of equipment to be used for such viewing pleasure.

"God is Dead" - Nietzsche icon_smile_angry.gif

"Neitzsche is Dead" - God icon_smile_cool.gif

Quote:
Quote: yeah - or, 10 years worth of GQ-subscription will get you a nice laptop!

what kind of laptop can you buy for 200 bucks?

Quote: buy a treo

have you seen jessica alba in her knickers in a recent GQ issue? a treo is frankly the most inadequate piece of equipment to be used for such viewing pleasure.

--- Original message by darknworn on Jul 27, 2005 02:12 PM

You can download those pics of Jessica Alba and view them on a full-sized monitor.