Sign in to follow this  
PaperSt.

The J-Horror Thread

Recommend me some good J-Horror

I watched Pulse (2001) by Kiyoshi Kurosawa last night and it was one of the best movies I've ever seen, scary as shit too.

Some of my personal favorites include Ringu, Suicide Club and now Pulse

Discuss...

Not that I know of

They have a very limited selection but most of the ones I've seen are just from blockbuster in the foreign films section

If we could find something like that it would be much better

Kurosawa is awesome. Cure is my favorite so far. It's not my favorite genre of movies, so I don't really care for most of it.

these are kinda j-horror-comedy, but i really enjoyed Wild Zero and Bio-zombie.

If you want to be disturbed for the rest of your life...

Visitor Q (Hardcore version of Pasolini's Teorema) by Takashi Miike

If you want to be disturbed for the rest of your life...

Visitor Q (Hardcore version of Pasolini's Teorema) by Takashi Miike

It's not necessarily typical "j-horror" as in Ringu or Juon et al, but yeah, in a whole different level...I second this recommendation. Mommy always knows best, err I guess.

My friend sent me a movie that took place in some haunted hospital or sum shit....I bet there's a lot of those as a general theme, but shit there scary..

I'm not very familiar with this sub genre of film. Would the film Audition also directed by Takashi Miike fall under it?

I'd recommend that movie too.

J- Horror is a term used to refer to Japanese contributions to horror fiction in popular culture. Whereas American modern day horror films tend to rely heavily on special effects and a multitude of sub-genres (such as slashers, demons or extraterrestrials), J-horror tends to focus on psychological horror and tension building (anticipation), particularly involving ghosts and poltergeists.
Taken From WIki

I had to look it up too :)

I'm not very familiar with this sub genre of film. Would the film Audition also directed by Takashi Miike fall under it?

yeah, i'd say it's suspense/thriller/horror.

i love audition.

Audition. Love that movie. Loved the end where the female protaganist did some DIY surgery. They could do away with the supernatural aspects in the centre of the movie and focus on the psychological abnd thriller aspects. Heard some tough biker types freaked out and left the cinema when the surgery part took place.

Miike's done some fucked up shit. Audition is watchable compared to most of his stuff.