Modern 501 Question

weirdnjfan1

The ones I have seen are made in Mexico.

I don't think they are all that bad, although the Capital E's and LVCs are better. The weight quoted by a previous poster at 13.5oz seems about right, and the denim is a lot darker than the cheapo shrinkies. You get a leather 47 style patch, but no hidden rivets or chainstitched hems.

13.5 is a good weight... thats what my dubbleworks are. no hidden rivets is not good, and no chainstitch hem is bearable... if i need them bad enough i can get gordon to fix em. i wonder how th leg twist is...

for under 100 it doesnt sound too bad... but im sure the cut could use some work....

id rather save up the extra money and get a pair of 660 from japan.. but for the general population who wants a selvage 501, its doesnt sound too bad.

in response to everyone's 13.5oz speculations...

i'm pretty sure the denim isn't 13.5oz. i'd be surprised if it was anything more than 12oz. i tried on a pair at the levis store and was shocked at how crappy they felt. i did a side by side comparison with regular 501xx STF's, and the non-selvedge 501 denim felt thicker, heavier, and more rigid.

levi's took a L with this one. like i said before; too little too late.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest declasse

i've had a couple pairs of stfs and actually love them. fade quickly, pretty stiff, got some leg twist too. i recently got a pair of lvc 47s. obviously my favorite between the two but for $30 stfs are a hell of a deal and you dont have to worry about them too much. both the stf and the 47 are about the same cut, exactly. difference is the tagged size. both of them post soak are the same size but lvc is 36x36 and stf is 34x36(get your real waist size)

rigidity and percieved thickness/heaviness is hardly a scientific method for discerning denim weight...

Perhaps, but it's a pretty good determining factor in regards to quality in comparison to a number.

Anyhow, this really hasn't me persuaded me to the cause of Levi's... when I need a new pair of regular cut jeans I'll pay the extra 20 quid for some APCs.

Anyhow, this really hasn't me persuaded me to the cause of Levi's... when I need a new pair of regular cut jeans I'll pay the extra 20 quid for some APCs.

the price on these is pretty ridiculous.

the people in the nyc levis stores are also quite clueless as to why

these jeans are different from normal STF... i think i heard someone tell

a tourist yesterday that "these last longer because they shrink

perfectly every time, because of this special seam inside." :confused: