sunn is a shitty band

jake snake

Guest Airjamie

Sunn isnt exactly a band. They dont exactly go off all "any way you want it thats the way you need it DUN DUND UNAJASDFA". That is to say, they arent aiming at writing shit for you to sing in the fucking shower. This meaning, you cant evaluate them in the same way as you could everytimeiloveskullswithgunsonmyshirtxxxxx. They arent going for airplay. They arent even going to the zillions of dickheads who buy their shirts cause theyre just so fucking edgy. SUNN started and remain as a unique project geared toward a select group of people who really understand (read: care really, its pretty geeky if you think about it) what they are doing. Its less music and more sonic experementation ala john weisse or christian reknow or tetsuo. And you dont really hear people saying "bastard noise was a shitty band" do you? SOMA and company never really cared for the attention they are getting from the people who are currently giving it, they just have the misfortune of being a bunch of crafty motherfuckers who know how to design neat shit. Although more power to them if the money these geeks pump into buying zillions of their tshirts pays them enoughto hangout in sketchy castles in belgiumistan all day smoking fat doobies.

Youre right about mastadon though....those guys fucking suck

Guest Airjamie
Yeah, I think they did.

In my opinion musically they're not "edgy" at all. But when you combine there live show and their retarded tongue-in-cheek image- they become edgygygygygygygygygygy.

They never played an earth cover. They pay tribute to them with alot of elements of their project, but as far as actually covering them its never been done as far as i know. I never said they were edgy musically. I was hinting at the reason people buy so many of their tshirts is that they have an edgy vibe. however again you arent looking at them from a proper perspective so theres no need for me to argue.

EDIT: My remix album sure does have an earth cover on it. However i was at some of the early sunn shows and can attest to the fact that no earth covers were played.

Sunn isnt exactly a band. They dont exactly go off all "any way you want it thats the way you need it DUN DUND UNAJASDFA". That is to say, they arent aiming at writing shit for you to sing in the fucking shower. This meaning, you cant evaluate them in the same way as you could everytimeiloveskullswithgunsonmyshirtxxxxx

The funny thing about this statement is it means that you CAN make value judgements about Sunn.

everytimeiloveskullswithgunsonmyshirtxxxxx are effectively pop music, and you can only really make a like/dislike judgement about pop music.

Sunn, on the other hand put their music up for scrutiny as art music. However, saying 'Sunn are shitty, sorry but it's true' is as you rightly point out not a valid judgement of art music.

But if you do to some degree understand the intended effect of the piece (just as everytimeiloveskulls intend to write a catchy pop tune) you can make esthesic judgements as to the success.

Unlike pop music, you can also make value judgements on an analytical level. Where the compositional processes are more complicated and important to people's judgement of the music the door is opened for scrutiny of these processes. So if Sunn attempted to compose in a certain manner and it came out sounding like everytimeiloveskulls, then you could say it fails as a piece under poietic analysis.

A simple example of analysis on this level is understanding that Meshuggah are playing 11/16 over 4/4 and this improving your appreciation of the piece, and this can stretch all the way to analysing whether a piece of atonal classical music succeeds or on some level fundamentally devolves into tonality/modality.

Basically I'm pointing out in an overly long-winded manner that just because something is art music doesn't make it immune to scrutiny, as the opposite is completely true.

However, I'm pretty certain jake snake is incapable of making any kind of educated judgement on music, so this is all a moot point as to whether Sunn suck or not.