Yoyos, Yoyos, and Yoyos...

kiya

So over the last little bit i've been getting some random PM's regarding yoyos and shit along those lines..

I've been getting the same questions so i figured a thread should be started..

Where to Buy:

http://www.yoyonation.com

This is a yoyo webstore based in New York City, they've graciously offered a discount code to be used on any of their products. Use this code for 10% off anything upon checking out:

YOYONATIONANTIYO

How to Learn:

http://www.yoyoing.com/beginner/

Upcoming contests..

New York State Yoyo Contest:

http://www.newyorkyoyo.com

We just got back from Florida for the World Yoyo Contest.. some SuFu people came through and threw around some yoyos and drank some beers.. which is pretty much what a contest is about. getting wasted and yoyoing.

"nice yoyo fade..."

Guest JonasW

Here are some more websites with tricks for you cats that are interested.

http://www.mastermagic.net/Tricks.html

Mastermagic.net has several videos you can watch.

http://sector_y.yoyoing.com/Tricks/String_Tricks/index.htm

Sectory Y doesn't have video, but has some nice illustrations for more advanced tricks.

I like looking at both sites so I can see an illustration and video for a trick.

who is the michael jordan of yoyoing? meaning, the greatest yoyoist ever. someone who revolutionized the game and set the standard for yoyo mastery?

It's hard to say.. If it was up to me, i'd say Paul Han.

For a few reasons.. nobody in modern time has competed at a high level for so many years without skipping a year. This is his 11th year...

He mastered 2A, and now he's mastered 1A, and from what he tells me, he's headed for 4A or 5A next.

kiya, what would be a good 1A yoyo for me to get back into yoyoing at under $25? My throwmonkey is about finished. There are a ton of yoyos in that price range and i'm sure there are some pretty good ones, but also some complete wastes of money. The bapezilla looks unbelievable but i can't drop that kinda money right now.

FH Zero is good, doesn't require a lot of tweaking or maintenance if you are going for unresponsive play. Pull out the Friction Stickers and slap in DifPads and you're golden.

Avoid YoYo Jam, their stuff has really weird problems that cause them to randomly crap out for no reason. Avoid Yomega, they just generally suck.

Yo-Yo Factory has the best stuff, but you'll pay for it. Speed Dial is the best beginner-to-pro 1A yo-yo on the market, but it's $50.

That video is just plain wrong.

Thanks, steve. I was thinking about a yoyojam speed maker after reading some positive reviews. The duncan fh zero was on my list too though. What pads should i get on yoyo nation? Any other little things i should do to the yoyo when i get it to get the most bang for the buck? Also, it's easy to switch the pads out and other shit right?

Guest JonasW

Chronoaug, usually the pads wear out or will come off after awhile. Thats when I replace mine. Try the Dif pads, I would go with the thin pads with a FHZ.

So the consensus between FHZ and YYJ Speed Maker is that the FHZ with thin dif pads is the victor?

So the consensus between FHZ and YYJ Speed Maker is that the FHZ with thin dif pads is the victor?

Get a yoyojam yoyo.. I recommend them to beginners for a few reasons.. They have an adjustable gap, so you can quickly adjust the responsiveness of the yoyo, and they don't have ANY other moving parts, which makes the yoyo super simple to use and understand. They also don't use spacers or bushings, which means nothing falls out when you unscrew the yoyo.

Try and get a metal rimmed yoyo from yoyojam. They start at around $37, but you have a 10% off coupon above.

I'm not really looking to spend more than $30 (especially since my scholarship money won't come in for another month or so) so what's the expert opinions on these yyj choices.

spin faktor hg

http://www.yoyonation.com/product.php?productid=16156&cat=248&page=2

or

k-os

http://www.yoyonation.com/product.php?productid=16517&cat=265&page=8

Also, when i order, are there any other little things i should buy from the site? Lube, pads, etc...?

I'd love to support you, kiya and buy a bapezilla as from what i've read it seems completely badass, but it's not in the cards financially though. I will however, tell anyone i talk to about yoyoing about anti-yo though and throw your site at them, just as i do selfedge whenever anyone asks about my PBJs(even though you don't sell em', just the japanese thing). Keep on keeping on.

I still can't believe that han video though. Good god

Between the SFHG, and the Kos, I would go with the Kos.

My beef with YYJ yo-yos is their build quality. I've thrown away close to 60% of everything of theirs I've ever bought. They seem to play really well in the hands of a lot of people, but as a company they aggravate me and as a premium item I find them lacking.

Kiya seems to like them, though, so maybe he's had better luck than I have.

---

I have to be fair, and add that most of my experience is with their older stuff. Kiya has played with YYJ product way more frequently and recently than me, so probably best to defer to his judgement on the matter.

Plus, I'm sick and grumpy right now. :(

...and of course I didn't explain why I would pick the Kos. Duh.

Cold medicine makes me dumb.

The Kos has a kind of undersized body shape which is really comfortable in the hand. It's smaller in diameter and just feels really nice in the hand...plus it's easier to get out of the pocket of those tight-ass jeans. ;)

I almost always go for undersized yo-yos...easier to carry around, and they feel great in the hand. Total opinion there, but I love 'em. :)

I love my sfhg. It was my first yo since my good ol' yomega fireball. I'd recommend it 100x for someone's first or even intermediate yo.

I never have played with the k-os, but it seems that you cannot really go wrong with a yyj.

As for extra stuff to buy, defintely get some thin lube and strings.

Yea, knucks i don't know about yoyos being hype. I'd say there are about 20 people out of lord knows how many who have yoyoed in the past year or twoon this site. I used to throw a decent amount a year or two ago but my yoyo started fucking up and i just kinda gave up since i didn't know what kind of new one to get. Dino started because Kiya came to his(my, i born there first, fucker) town and met up with him. Obviously sid has yoyo'd before. I doubt a bunch of sufu guys will buy yoyos.

The yomega fireball helped me wow people back in 6th grade. They were still using Brain yoyos and were wondering why they couldn't do a bunch of the tricks i was doing. Hanging out by the portables yoyoing and talking about the original pokemon game that just came out that year. Good times.

Yeah, yoyos as hype? No way.. There's loads of yoyoers that have unsuccessfully attempted to make yoyoing cool for many years.

In terms of yoyoing on SuFu..

I got Steve and Sonny on here, and they're previously from the yoyo world.. Dino started cause he came to meet me at the World Yoyo Contest in Orlando last week. Jonas is a old yoyo head that drifted away from the scene quite a while ago and now is on here... And Sidney started yoyoing cause i sent him a box with a yoyo and shirt in it and he's helping with the New York State Contest this weekend. I don't know of anybody else that actively yoyos on SuFu with the exception of maybe Pasty and chronoaug.

Either way, let's fucking yoyo.

Chrono, you get a new yoyo yet?

Chrono, you get a new yoyo yet?

Not yet, i'm still working on it. Thanks for the help, though.