Gentlemen... BEHOLD!!! The DenimWiki (possible superdenim project?)

drainpipe

I've recently been looking into buying a new pair of jeans. As I was researching, I realized that I needed to know the measurements since I was looking for a very specific fit (I went from skull 5010XX -> flat head 3001 -> julian red hobo), and it sucked having to hop from site to site looking for measurements. Wading through all the megathreads here, while interesting, took too much time. I was surprised that there was no database for denim buying advice, so I decided maybe it's time to create one in the form of a wiki. I have a lot of spare bandwidth lying unused, so I figure I can volunteer my webserver for this. I've already set it up and created a sample page of stuff that I think would be useful:

http://drainpipe.servehttp.com/denimwiki/index.php/New_Standard

Any interest?

this kid just wants a lot of rep, and fast.

Hah, I really don't care about rep, but sure why not? I just figured it'd be fun, and I've never started an internet project before. If there's no interest, it's no big deal since I can probably find something else to do with it. At the very least I finally got off my figurative ass to install php and mysql on my server, something I've been meaning to do for a long time.

looks good but you missed a measurment there. "?" the idea would be really cool but then you might get people who want to fuck with measurments and shit.

Yeah, if this gets off the ground, editing would probably be restricted to registered users.

yeah but we can do better than 'the honda civic of blahblahblah'

i need eyebleach for that cheesy shit.

Hey, I'm just putting this out there because I thought there might be demand for something like this. If you guys are interested, feel free to continue. I definitely don't have anywhere near the amount of passion or knowledge needed to create this thing in its entirety.

I like the idea and I would add measurements of jeans I own. One thing that is very important for this is to have a tutorial on how to take measurements so that all measurements listed are done in a consistent way.

Something like: http://www.rakuten.ne.jp/gold/rebirth/size_1.html

Also for XX models it might be good to have a separate before/after chart maybe?? or a check box when you enter measurements indicating if they're washed or not so people who have already washed jeans can add measurements and any new jeans bought can be added raw and after soak because people always want to know "how much do these shrink?"

Another idea might be be to add a "stretch factor" index or something so if you provide measurements you can indicate a level of stretchiness somehow...

for the stretchyness we could do polls or something because the results are all over the place most of the time

yea....what we'd need to do with that is have a random sample of peeps who purchased the jeanz n then do some stats on dat bitch...find out the SD or whatev of stretchin

I think the measurements should be pre-stretch only, because well, everyone has different size legs, and waist and so on. I think putting up measurements that have stretch factored in will just be confusing.

I think anyone with even mild experience with raw denim has a feel for what jeans have to measure pre-stretch. For instance I know, that in order for jeans to fit how I like, they have to measure anywhere from 31-32 in the waist and 11- 11 1/2 inches in the thigh. These measurements go up an inch or two once the jeans get worn, and it is at that time that they are appropriate for my proportions.

Anything smaller and it takes a great deal of effort to stretch them back out after a soak or wash, and they just end up looking funny anway. Anything larger and they are just too loose after a little bit of stretching.

Pre and post soak could be cool though.

edit: I think it is a good idea regardless and thanks to the op.

I think the measurements should be pre-stretch only, because well, everyone has different size legs, and waist and so on. I think putting up measurements that have stretch factored in will just be confusing.

I think anyone with even mild experience with raw denim has a feel for what jeans have to measure pre-stretch. For instance I know, that in order for jeans to fit how I like, they have to measure anywhere from 31-32 in the waist and 11- 11 1/2 inches in the thigh. These measurements go up an inch or two once the jeans get worn, and it is at that time that they are appropriate for my proportions.

Anything smaller and it takes a great deal of effort to stretch them back out after a soak or wash, and they just end up looking funny anway. Anything larger and they are just too loose after a little bit of stretching.

Pre and post soak could be cool though.

datz y u find da SD son....