The perfect blue oxford shirt and/or chambray shirt

lucky_cloud

So, I've got a serious lack of these basic wardrobe staples. I'd like to fix this problem without breaking the bank. Or, if that's not possible, I'd like to determine when and how I'm going to break the bank.

Doesn't even have to be an oxford specifically, just a nice blue shirt. Does anyone have comments on quality/fit? It's hard to tell a great shirt from a weak one when you're browsing online.

Chambray also seems like a cool thing right now. Not a replacement for the basic blue shirt, but I'd like to pick one up. A local establishment had one by Troglodyte Homunculus that looked really nice, but while I was hemming and hawing about the price, my size sold out.

I got a MTM shirt from Brooks Brothers and it's my new favorite. The cloth is very nice and there are a lot of colors/patterns to pick from. They can cut it as slim as you like, you can choose the style/size of the collar, cuffs, pleats, etc. Put pockets on, whatever. It was $175 and it took about 6 weeks, if that's more than you would like to pay or longer than you would want to wait, they also have ready to wear slim fits that fit nicely and are pretty cheap on sale. Check out the website if you're interested, there's a sale going on now... http://www.brooksbrothers.com

I have a Ralph Lauren chambray shirt (pretty much a staple for them.....produced every season) that is easily one of my favorite shirts. $19.99 at the RL outlet, but I saw them last week in Bloomie's for $60. Slightly western pockets, slim fit, good quality.

Here's a pic of it (albeit not a very good one) from WAYWT:

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showpost.php?p=531214&postcount=6003

I got a MTM shirt from Brooks Brothers and it's my new favorite. The cloth is very nice and there are a lot of colors/patterns to pick from. They can cut it as slim as you like, you can choose the style/size of the collar, cuffs, pleats, etc. Put pockets on, whatever. It was $175 and it took about 6 weeks, if that's more than you would like to pay or longer than you would want to wait, they also have ready to wear slim fits that fit nicely and are pretty cheap on sale. Check out the website if you're interested, there's a sale going on now... http://www.brooksbrothers.com

wow, i'm doing this right now, the options are immaculate, exactly what you'd want/expect from such a service...

A wealth of options, for sure. I'm not sure I'd actually know what I want without being able to see/try the shirt on, though. Good to know about, though.

the perfect shirt, one that fits exactly right in the neck, torso, sleeves (width and length) is very hard to find IMO. Nearly impossible to find off the rack. for summer though you can definitely get lots of good "staple" shirts if you plan on wearing it without a tie so you don't have to button the neck button, and rolling up the sleeves so that the sleeve length isn't a issue. With those two problems out of the way all you have to get is something moderately slim and either long enough to tuck in or short enough to look good untucked. cheers.

what fit is it? they usually fit me like a baloon.

I have a Ralph Lauren chambray shirt (pretty much a staple for them.....produced every season) that is easily one of my favorite shirts. $19.99 at the RL outlet, but I saw them last week in Bloomie's for $60. Slightly western pockets, slim fit, good quality.

Here's a pic of it (albeit not a very good one) from WAYWT:

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showpost.php?p=531214&postcount=6003

I'm getting this shirt.

I think that it was recently featured on the Sartorialist.

Looks great - I have a vinatage chambray shirt that I love, but it's falling apart. I want one that will hold up for a while. J.Crew has some good stuff - I haven't gotten anything there in years, but I think they are underrated here - the Gap too (sometimes).

things is...j.crew isn't made for the long haul. at least the stuff i've had.

Yeah, the last thing I got from there was a cashmere sweater that turned into a ball of crap after a winter. I'm going to go check this shirt out, try it on, etc. I feel like some of their shit, chinos for instance, hold up - for me it's mostly just been that their fits aren't to my liking.

Nearly impossible to find off the rack.

troof; i've never understood the obsession with otr stuff like band of outsiders, etc.

great, well-made stuff, but the chance it will fit you just right is pretty slim har har

between internet services and brick and mortar tailors, there are all price ranges of mtm services available; you can get stuff for what brooks costs otr, or what 16sur20 costs otr, or what mcqueen costs otr

I'm getting this shirt.

I think that it was recently featured on the Sartorialist.

Looks great - I have a vinatage chambray shirt that I love, but it's falling apart. I want one that will hold up for a while. J.Crew has some good stuff - I haven't gotten anything there in years, but I think they are underrated here - the Gap too (sometimes).

Saw it on the sartorialist aswell. Really cool that they make such a vintage inspired piece. Mr gnar, could you perhaps pm me when you´ve checked out the shirt? interested in any impressions...maybe worth getting through a proxy in the future in my case.

yeah, back to the subject at hand...

brooks brothers makes great quality shirts, the only problem with them is the fit; too long, baggy arms, and a boxy cut (even for the slim version). a made to measure shirt of their quality for $175 is a steal. it'll last your whole life, plus it's easy to clean (throw in the washer, hang-dry).

yeah, back to the subject at hand...

brooks brothers makes great quality shirts, the only problem with them is the fit; too long, baggy arms, and a boxy cut (even for the slim version). a made to measure shirt of their quality for $175 is a steal. it'll last your whole life, plus it's easy to clean (throw in the washer, hang-dry).

their otr fit is "bad" but i like the long boxy cut with the too-long arms. i usually size down and it fits how i like.

their otr fit is "bad" but i like the long boxy cut with the too-long arms. i usually size down and it fits how i like.

i wish i could do that, sometimes i buy their shirts in 15" and they fit great, but i can't come close to getting the neck to button (i'm a 16 1/2 on good days, 17 on most).

A wealth of options, for sure. I'm not sure I'd actually know what I want without being able to see/try the shirt on, though. Good to know about, though.

While you wouldn't be able to see your Brooks MTM shirt until it was done, they do have a bunch of shirts you can try on to find the perfect fit in the chest and shoulders.

bobo bo bo bo-bo, could you please translate the swedish link from the street fashion thread? i want to kno what the SVEEEDISH Are saying about me!

oh whom ghastly thigh!

it goes like this:

"pretty nice outfit, it would work if he weighed around 60kgs (which is around 130lbs) and not 80 (around 180lbs)! gosh, nasty tighs!"

and the two others are saying "or about 110lbs.." and "or about 75lbs.."

the last one says "casette playa is always ok in my book"

something like that.