digital cameras

Guest dontcaretoomuchforcrap

Guest dontcaretoomuchforcrap

just need to get one for personal use.

any recommendations on a light semi-reasonable one?

any suggested megapixel count?

eat pussy not meat

Go for a canon sd 300-500 depending on ur price range.

Theyre slim but powerful and theyre picture quality is great. Not to mention that SD cards are a heck of a lot cheaper than sony memory sticks!

I have both a sony and canon...but i prefer the canon.

But hey..its all a matter of preference....head on down to ur local bestbuy and test it out for urself.

Get at least some 5 megapixels for decent quality because a 5 megapixel is like a true 2 megapixel. It creates a good 2 megapixel image with sharpness in every pixel, or a blurry 5 megapixel image, but since 2 megapixel is a good size that's all you probably need (1600x1200).

There's a Sony battery charger I use, it is bivolt (good for travel) and charges AA and AAA batteries in less than 4 hours, look for the special fast chargers.

I own the sony DSC-T1

at the time the camera was $500 plus a 512 mb memory stick (smaller one) new at the time was $299, luckily I got a deal for $130 with a 512 mb from sandisk

anyhow, my overall feeling was the camera was a great size, I use to have a canon s110, but wouldn't have gotten this unless it was FREE, which it was, a gift.

I do like the size, but it is far from quality.

similarly with the T7, I would expect similar quality traits, yes it is a great design, but think about the quality of pictures you are going to get....

you can say it has a carl zeiss lens, but altho however famous he is for lens, these lens on the T1 aren't that great, similarly on the T7. The bigger lens and if quality lens you will get more light and focus, this is sorta the basis of cameras.

since the lens are so small, the end result is bad quality shots especially at night, and a lot of grains in the night shots. In addition, for day shots, they are bad if not enough of sun is out, and with the small sized camera, some times during daytime the shots are blurry.

overall, if I didn't get this as a gift, I would have gotten the canon s series, or SD series cameras.

the size and quality of lens on canon's are superb.

also, don't be misconceived about megapixel, megapixel doesn't mean anything if your lens are small ...t1, t7. If I was to compare, my 2 megapixel canon s110 takes better pictures than the T1, although 2 megapixel, the quality is so great you can zoom in and etc without bad pictures. often times, my T1 is too grainy, and I tell my gf to bring her camera (much bigger) but better night time pictures. and if you want good pics at night with the T1, they better be close up.

another big issue is that the T1 flash similarly with T7 doesn't project enough distance. There are often too many times that I have to edit my T1 pictures because of lack of brightness. with my old canon, far from none...

just to clear up some issues about digi cams, next time when someone says 5 megapixel camera, you shouldn't say WOW, you should ask, which one, then say WOW if it's decent.

my 2 cents

another note,

sony memory sticks are not on the top of the market, other types, SD, XD, compact flash, smart media are much cheaper than memory stick, and certain brands do sell ones with better performance, and have a far bigger memory capactity compared to memory sticks.

AND a LOT cheaper.

you should consider this when getting a digital camera, the one that comes with the camera is far from being enough if you plan to take at the max quality, no point to get a high megapixel camera if you dont' max the resolution (# of megapixels)

just think, a lot of digital SLR cameras don't take memory stick, mainly because other media types are faster, cheaper, and bigger capactiy.

however if you have a big wallet, go for sony, they are great design, but I don't think they are as reliable and good build.

if I had the deep wallet, I'd get the T7, because it'd be go hand and hand with my RAZR, but I'm sure to expect bad quality on the T7 like on my T1

I got a Contax TVS Digital - very nice camera - quite big, but the quality is amazing ... def check out what the 'old school' brands have on offer - remember they have been making lens and cameras for decades longer than people like Sony ...

just think of this, why do photographers use SLR cameras and not some pocket size camera.

for something smaller you are sacrificing something...and that something is quality. and with a film SLR there is no such thing as megapixel, it is a technology that is used in digital cameras to interpret the shot taken and put it into a resolution size, bigger is usually better, unless the picture is grainy.

just think sacrifices...from big -> small, not saying smaller is bad, just what are you willing to sacrifice for something pocket sized... I'd personally go for something pocket sized, but not as small as the t7 or t1, quality matters to me, but if it was a gift, I can't exactly sell it and get what I want...sort of have to use it to show my appreciation...