Japanese Islands with beaches?

kiya

I'm getting married in two months.. we're going on our honeymoon a couple of weeks after the wedding.

We were pretty much set on going to Bora Bora, but after some more thought, we'd love to experience what the beaches/islands of Japan have to offer because we're both so in love with Japanese culture, and are already quite familiar with the big cities of Japan, we'd like to see what the beaches and smaller islands have to offer.

I know it's not common for people outside of Japan to go to Japan for it's beaches, but i'm maybe somebody here knows some good spots to start looking into.

I've done many searches and haven't really found anything that actually looks like it might be a good replacement for Bora Bora..

Any ideas?

kiya, okinawa has some of the most beautiful beaches in the world--some people say that okinawa has THE most beautiful beaches in the world.

okinawa is a chain of islands off the southern tip of mainland japan. it's the birthplace of karate and it has a very unique and beautiful culture that is different from mainland japan.

1/3 of okinawa is owned by the u.s. military. that's why you will see many americans there. in fact, you can use US dollars in most stores. some stores will give you a discount if you use dollars. the people on okinawa are very used to americans and are very american-friendly.

i highly recommend going to okinawa.

BTW, i've been to beaches on mainland japan, and they suck compared to okinawa. usually pretty crowded and littered with firework carcasses and cigarette butts.

wow, didn't know about that island. i read the photographer's little essay, really cool. reminds me of ghost in the shell for some reason...

I want to go there so bad it hurts. There's a bunch of other info./pics about it online.

On a side note regarding abandoned places, as a Japanese person you may like this:

http://home.f01.itscom.net/spiral/research.html

You may have already seen it; for some reason I am fascinated by these pics (Only the first 4 "Files" work).

these are the ruins of the old ryukyu kingdom. this is the area where at night, the ancient villagers would stand on the walls and look at the moon and the stars. this was many hundreds of years before television. now, they do performances here.

Okinawa.jpg

Looks cool.

I heard there is also a massive Bape store there now though.

okinawa is gorgeous, but if you want to take the less touristy approach, go to yakushima. it's an island off the coast of kyushu and is a part of UNESCO's world heritage.

it's kind of getting a bit popular lately, but it's not commercialized YET.

http://wikitravel.org/en/Yakushima

you get this:

TanegashimaBeach.JPG

and this: (this forest is what inspired miyazaki to create princess mononoke)

yakushima_forest_day1_lg.jpg

the best is for yu guys to do both. yakushima and okinawa..... that would be a trip.

I want to go there so bad it hurts. There's a bunch of other info./pics about it online.

On a side note regarding abandoned places, as a Japanese person you may like this:

You may have already seen it; for some reason I am fascinated by these pics (Only the first 4 "Files" work).

awesome. i wanna go the that concrete mining island for my honeymoon.

that is the best thing i have ever seen.

pissed off they are redeveloping though, that could have been great to explore.

Covert-ops Sufu meet up in violation of international trade laws?

interesting miz, i love the japanesexbrazilian girls.

okinawa has a large brazilian population. many okinawans immigrated to brazil (and other south american countries) before the world war. in fact, many of the japanese-brazilians are from okinawa. some of them have come back.

20061101International%20flavors%20accentuate%20Okinawa%20City%20Carnival0.jpg

Okinawa Honto (the main island) really ain't shit compared to any of the smaller Yaeyama's. You want nice beaches; look at Ishigaki, Taketomi, Miyako, etc..... Heading down there in a few weeks. Hopefully it'll pause in the typhoon season, heard it's pretty wicked right now.

wow those places look awesome. i really wish i visit gunkanjima some day. for some reason abandoned places are really interesting.