philippines :: general

lol, you shouldn't feel too nervous 'bout being too obviously a foreigner. Sure you might get cheated out of like, a dollar or so, bout no one's gonna kidnap you.

But it does seem like your parents are definitely exaggerating any kind of "danger" you'd be in in the Philippines. I mean, telling you not to talk aloud in malls and you're 21? A bit of paranoia on their part :P.

actually im opposite the OP .. i grew up in the RP ..schooled over there ... went to Uni over there ... DLSU bitches! .... then went here (states) after working a couple of years .. to take up my MA... i agree with jubei and the brokedj.. Makati is not the Philippines and if thats the only part why you wanna go back there ..... then yr better off staying here.... and just going back there for some vacation .... i know lots of people from back there who'd give up their arm and their leg to get here .... actually to get out of there ... to the OP go back home if you wanna experience being a Filipino, learn the culture, learn the history .. and contribute to its progress.. but if yr just going home to hookup with chicks or enjoy yr mommy and daddy's money ... then might as well stay here .. no telling what kind of trouble you can get into over there

yo lovemyb ... my two bros are going home for a couple of weeks .. suggest some good spots to hit up .. not just stores .. clubs and bars too .. that other forum doesnt really help much .. mostly sex stuff

hahahaha... No game?

Anyways...

Ive never heard of anyone kidnapping a Fil-Am...

Well, from those up in the mountains, ya... But they take anyone.

My GF just told me that they kidnap Fil-Ams a lot. NPAs... Thas wat theyre called.

Watever...

Anyways.

NO ONES gonna kidnap you at a mall. Esp if youre 21...

Who the hell would do that?

Im leaving next week :L

man i just went through this whole thread. brought back a lot of memories. stay in the states man. but definitely go and visit. it'll make you appreciate what you have here. last time i was there my dad tells me we're going to visit my cousin and his family near malabon. an hour jeepny ride and 45 minute boat ride through some swamp we arrive at my cuz's bahay cubo. talk about an eye opener! no electricity, water had to be drawn from a well and the bugs! i will never complain about life here in the states.

the love for musical variety shows is awesome though.

but definitely go and visit. it'll make you appreciate what you have here. last time i was there my dad tells me we're going to visit my cousin and his family near malabon. an hour jeepny ride and 45 minute boat ride through some swamp we arrive at my cuz's bahay cubo. talk about an eye opener! no electricity, water had to be drawn from a well and the bugs! i will never complain about life here in the states.

My Mother's family is from Malabon. They live in this compound that basically isolates them from the city. My Lola and uncles rarely leave the place. Malabon is probably the most ghetto part of Manila I witnessed first hand. So many street kids running around. They play in the puddles in the street, I think that's how some of them even bathe. I remember driving through the streets when it was raining and these kids started throwing shit (literally) on our windshield. I was like WTF?! and it didn't even phase my uncles who acted like it's normal for kids to throw shit on your window for fun.

Needless to say, I don't enjoy going to Malabon because it depresses me to see people living this way. When I visit the Philippines, I usually stay at my rich aunt's place in Ortigas in Pasig, which is central to all the action in Manila (Makati, Greenhills, Quezon City). I know I'm a spoiled American. I do enjoy seeing my family in Malabon though, I just wish it wasn't such a trek to see them. It takes 2 hours to get from Pasig to Malabon which is probably only 10 miles away. And you have to plan your trip according to high/low tide because the streets get flooded in Malabon. When I get there, my family always has the best meals ready for me with probably the biggest shrimps I've ever seen. When I want to see what real life in the Philippines is like, I see them. They always take me to all the gritty stuff like the local cockfight which was a trip.

yo lovemyb ... my two bros are going home for a couple of weeks .. suggest some good spots to hit up .. not just stores .. clubs and bars too .. that other forum doesnt really help much .. mostly sex stuff

I dont really go out anymore :o but they can go to alchemy. its a new place. I havent even been there ahahah.

sex stuff? PHOENIX ahahahahah

Tuesday. Rockwell, Tuesday.

FUCK!

My camera broke, for no reason at all. Anyone kno a CHEAP ass place to get it fixed? I think Sta. Lucia or some shit would be cheap?

Pissed off.

there's a place in quiapo. it's a whole street dedicated to cameras (DLSR's and point and shoot's). i got my canon ixus' lens fixed there for 1500PhP

edit:

its along hidalgo street, near the Quiapo church

• 3 weeks later...