I need some help with a decision in regards to color

lamscott

Hi Guys,

I am trying to decide on whether I should get the Imperial King in black, or blue. Both are selvage. But I have no idea becuase I've never seen either in real life. The website shoes the black as a bluish hue for some reason. I have two pairs of unword dry indigos still waiting to be worn. But I don't want to get the black if it doesn't look good. Plus Indigo is always in style but I don't know if black is.

Yeah, indigo will never look out of place and is deeply rooted in tradition. However, if you're a black - outfit kind of guy, hailxenu just delivered one of my favorite WYWT in a pair of Sammy BKs. I would personally suggest the indigo because it is so versatile and may fade better. I believe that the blacks have a slightly blue hue because it is dyed in some indigo (to make it fade). I may be completely wrong about this, however. I know that when you soak a pair of 5000 BKs or a pair of black Imperials, the water always seems to turn midnight blue.

It all comes down to personal preference and what you generally wear.

most people say indigo looks good with anything, but i guess my wardrobe is different that pretty much everyone on here cause i think black jeans will go with everything and blue jeans can look out of place, and my usual attire is a white tee and and some vans.

When you are talking about Imperial, you should remember that the black ones have black contrast stitching, where as the indigo ones have the golden yellow. Some people think the back pocket stitching is a bit excessive. If you get a black pair the arctuates are a bit more subtle.

EDIT- haha toufu got in just before me. we are on the same wavelength.

I have both pairs...look up "Kings" in the XXX thread; there's a picture somewhere of both of them together where you can see their relative merits. The blacks can sometimes look like dry blue denim because you can see the white weft threads showing through, which makes them more dark grey than black. They're not overdyed, so their overall feel is very similar to a fresh pair of raw indigos rather than black trousers. I like that, because a solid black would be too heavy for my taste, not to mention the difficulty of getting a good fade out of it...black Kings are more forgiving to colours like pale blue or (gasp) some shades of brown.

They fade to grey, in exactly the same manner as an indigo pair. The only difference I can see is that there aren't many shades going into the black dye Imperial uses, so you don't get the different tones coming out as it fades like you would with a blue pair. The faded bits are just grey, then eventually white. I think that the ecru weft on the indigo Kings contributes to a slightly richer fade as well, and although people have a love/hate thing with the back pocket stitching I think that the orange stitching on the indigo happens to look really nice once it's become part of your wallet fade and it gets a little broken up.

If you have some indigo projects going on already, it might be time to embrace the blacks. If I had two pairs of jeans only, they'd both be indigo. Three pairs, and I'd make one black.

I only wear blue jeans, but I've seen the Imperial blacks in person, and they looked pretty black to me (no blue in it). I don't know about the photos taken of the black ones, but in real life, the black colour seems true. Anyway, Imperials are a good brand (I have the indigo Dukes). You shouldn't have any probs with them.

When you are talking about Imperial, you should remember that the black ones have black contrast stitching, where as the indigo ones have the golden yellow. Some people think the back pocket stitching is a bit excessive. If you get a black pair the arctuates are a bit more subtle.

EDIT- haha toufu got in just before me. we are on the same wavelength.

it's black with grey stitching, indigo with orange....How can there be black with black contrast stitchings? lol

it's black with grey stitching, indigo with orange....How can there be black with black contrast stitchings? lol

lol?

Ever heard of contrast in relation to colour and texture? I suggest you look the word up.

You are right though, the stitching isnt completely black. I didnt anticipate the average sufu user to be as finnicky as you are.

Have fun.

lol?

Ever heard of contrast in relation to colour and texture? I suggest you look the word up.

You are right though, the stitching isnt completely black. I didnt anticipate the average sufu user to be as finnicky as you are.

Have fun.

Not sure that there's such thing as being finicky when it comes to denim, especially on this board.

I posted what I did because I thought the color description that you threw out was off. Nothing else.

Cheers.