Going to the U.S, where to shop, what to buy, what to see?

Hey ho, so I'm going to travel from the east to the west coast for a couple of weeks, and I'm looking to pick up some interesting garments that is hard to find in Sweden. I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for, so any suggestions are welcome. I'm also interested if you have any suggestions of where to eat or what to do!

Cities I'll visit: New York, Washington DC, New Orleans, Tucson, Las Vegas, San Diego, Los Angeles/Hollywood, San Francisco.

Jeans

One thing I do know that I want to get is a pair of APC New Standards. Would I do best in visiting APC's own store in NYC? I'm afraid that because of the sales they've been having recently, they might be sold out, does anyone know?

I'm also interested in other jeans similar in fit to the New standards, so if you know any, please tell me! Not girly-slim jeans though :)

Shoes

Since I mostly wear rather slim jeans, I'm looking for some rather thin shoes to go with them. I'm especially looking for a pair of darker shoes to go with raw denims. They do not need to be sneakers, I'm also looking for shoes like Clarks Originals or Wallabees.

Is anyone aware of a store that carries some more exclusive styles of Converses? Preferably Jack Purcells, but the regular ones are nice too.

Tops

I'm mostly looking for some nice knits and some sweet polos and shirts, but if they're different and nicely designed enough, I might pick up some sweatshirts or tees too.

For you to understand what I'm looking for, check out www.filippak.com and www.whyre.com ( the A/W 05 collection) and Acne (http://62.181.215.102/media/lookbook_aw05.html) as those are some of my favourite brands and part of the style I'm trying to achieve.

I'm also looking for some more edgy and streety tops too, but keep it rather slim!

I'm definitely looking for anything with nice stripes!

By the way, I love cardigans!

Outerwear

For this fall/winter I'm looking for a dark navy or black peacoat specifically, anyone seen a good one?

Accessories

Right now, I'm looking for a brown and a black belt, with small buckles and they should also not be too wide.

I'm also looking for some kind of bag, but I'm really not sure what to get at all.

Brands

I'm kind of into Penguin and especially Modern Amusement, so if you know a store that carry either, please tell me!

Btw, I'm liking the brand Trovata, does anyone know if the american adresses on their site are for actual stores? http://www.trovata.com/spring2005/contacts.html

I'm also looking for stores that carry some smaller and/or less known brands, those kind of stores always have something exciting to offer.

I would also be looking for the usual malls or department stores, would Barney's, Urban Outfitters and Macy's be what I'm looking for?

Thanks in advance :)

tally-hoo

Edited by horriblyjollyjinx on Jun 30, 2005 at 07:07 AM

Edited by horriblyjollyjinx on Jun 30, 2005 at 07:25 AM

Edited by horriblyjollyjinx on Jun 30, 2005 at 07:33 AM

ok in new york i'll try to run down a couple things to do:

Jeans:

The APC store on mercer has lots of jeans, I found my size in the cure this last weekend I don't think the jeans stock is depleted due to the sales, but it wouldn't hurt to call.

Atrium is a really nice demin storewith everything from Blue Blood to Nudie (guess you don't need help finding those though)

Barney's Co-op has a good demin selection too, but don't go to the Co-op in soho, it just has a bunch of overplayed lowrent demin.

Shoes:

I mentioned it in another thread but I saw plaid Jack Purcell's recently at Nom de Guerre which is a shoe store that's mentioned alot on this site

Ferragamo had great leather shoes that you can get at there fantastic store in Manhattan

Tops:

If you like stripes there are plent of striped shirts in the Burberry Prorsum line (doesn't have the housecheck) these shirts all look nice

The Vice store has Modern Amusement tops that I haven't seen anywhere else, but I'm not an expect on who else stocks MA so there may be better places and I'll leave that to someone else

Outerwear:

Marc Jacobs (a number of locations to choose from) has some really nicely cut overcoats for slimmer men (I'm assuming you are since you like slim jeans) so Marc Jacobs is worth a shot.

Accessories:

Belts are tricky without knowing your budget, so look in every store you go in of course. Big fancy department stores are a good place for a wide assortment so check out Bergdoff Goodman and Barney's New York. In the bag department do you want leather? I recently bought a Built By Wendey cloth waist bag because I'm not really into messenger bags and everything else looks too much like a purse (just not my style)

I think that Steve Allen carries Trovata and so should Barney's New York so look there.

hope this helps!

Hey, thanks a lot, that is great help of course!

I was going to ask for a page where I could find the addresses to those stores, but I found them here on Superfuture, great site ;)

I will be spending the most time in San Francisco, so I will have time to explore the city for the smaller shops, does anyone have any suggestions?

Edit:

One thing though, does anyone know the address to The Jean Shop in NY? I haven't been able to find it yet.

tally-hoo

Edited by horriblyjollyjinx on Jul 1, 2005 at 07:32 AM

Quote:

The superfuture map is pretty difficult to read if that's what your using, I'd reccommend getting the actual street address of the store and writing them down and carrying that with you too

--- Original message by ten100switch on Jul 1, 2005 09:02 AM

I'm looking at a list of stores, restaurants, clubs etc, and there's some info about each place, like products and the full address :)

Thanks supertrash!

tally-hoo

if/when yer in LA....

hit Santa Monica's 3rd street Promenade (very easy to find, on 3rd street)....there is an Urban Outfitters, Adidas store, Levis store, Diesel store, etc etc all on the Promenade block. then after that, it is a 2 block drive eastward on Broadway to Fred Segal/Hollywood Trading Co. where there is TONS of harder to find streetwear

then hop on the 10 fwy and off to.....Wilshire near Rodeo Dr is where you'll find Barneys NY, Neiman Marcus, Saks...i like Barney's as it less "stuffy"

next stop about 10 min away is the Beverly Center mall which has some great stores, you might esp like Politix and Traffic.

then another 5-10 minutes from there is the Hollywood Trading Co store on Beverly Blvd. If you like vintage shoes, Remix 2 blocks away from there on Beverly is a must go.

from there, 5 minutes north to Melrose Ave and start with Fred Segal on Melrose (in case they have different stock from Fred Segal Santa Monica) then go east on Melrose to the "strip" with tons of streetwear shops to browse thru

after that turn south onto La Brea (from Melrose) and hit up the shops on LaBrea like Buffalo Exchange, and esp American Rag (down about 1/2 mile from Melrose)

you could literally do all that in one day with that route