LIBERAL ARTS VS. ARTS - COLLEGE

Guest dontcaretoomuchforcrap

Guest dontcaretoomuchforcrap

ANYONE HERE GO TO A LIBERAL ARTS SCHOOL OUTSIDE OF A CITY.

I EOULD IMAGINE IT IS MUCH BETTER TO BE IN A CITY LIKE NYC, BUT ANYONE HAVE GOOD EXPERIENCES AT A SUBURBRBAN SCHOOOL?

ANY ADVANTAGES OF SUBURBAN SCHOOL AWAY FROM IT ALL?

OR IS IT FUCKING BORING?

eat pussy not meat

- -----

If you're gonna go to a suburban school, I think the only ones worth considering are big state schools in "college" towns. Like UWisconsin in Madison, or IU in Bloomington, etc... While most big state schools and environs don't have the options of an urban school in terms of musuems, art galleries, shopping [not including Urban Outfitters, cause sadly they have set up shop in most major college towns now], etc... they do have a lot of activities. I personally have visited many friends at UWis in Madison and that campus is hopping. I was suprised at how diverse and progressive the campus was, the entire city for that matter.

Anyways, I'd go with an urban school, in a big city like Chicago, S.F, NY, etc... I've heard lots' of good things about RISDe in Providence, RI.

- -----

[everything is insanity and I have a headache]

Quote:

ANYONE HERE GO TO A LIBERAL ARTS SCHOOL OUTSIDE OF A CITY.

I EOULD IMAGINE IT IS MUCH BETTER TO BE IN A CITY LIKE NYC, BUT ANYONE HAVE GOOD EXPERIENCES AT A SUBURBRBAN SCHOOOL?

ANY ADVANTAGES OF SUBURBAN SCHOOL AWAY FROM IT ALL?

OR IS IT FUCKING BORING?

--- Original message by dontcaretoomuchforcrap on Jun 30, 2005 12:04 AM

i think it really depends on what you want to study, your dedication and your social life.

cities have many more possibilites than "college towns". but theres also many more distractions.

theres nothing like being young in a big city and having the burdens of college in the back of your head while you're out.

if you dont mind, what schools are looking into?

www.nextselection.net

www.ryanleslie.com

www.cassieworld.com

fuck liberal arts; go to art school. Going to an art school, you got an artistic community you can relate to, legit teachers with higher education, contacts, and more time spent on your major, less time spent on retarted classes you don't need. Art Schools should also give you smaller classes and a mentor to assist you in a personalized direction to reach your goals. In liberal arts i think you spend more time on G.E. You can get chicks at anyschool you go to so that dont matter (art schools girls listen to good music..) I thnk going to art school gives you the confidence in the real world over someone who went to a liberal arts school.

I've been in the same situation and my parents were pushing me to go to a state college, university or some shit first, and then when i was done and still interested in graphic design, then i could go to art school.. Fuck that shit, I skipped out on state college/university and went strait to art school; I have no regrets and I'm happy where I'm at right now at a young age. I look at other people i know who went to liberal art schools to get degrees and they iether not doing anything relating to thier major, or dont have a job yet.. waste of time and money. Do what you want.

To me the overall vibe in artschools is inspiring and you get pushed way harder.

http://www.designwrk.com/

Sarah Lawrence dykes are so annoying.

I knew this one girl, Justine, class of 1999. She thought she was chic because she read i-D and Flaunt. She thought she was avant-garde.

One day, I was, like, 'What's up, Just'?' And she was like, 'Excuse me. I'm reading L'Uomo Vogue.' I don't know what came over. It was like I had no control over my hand, it clenched up into a nice fist and kept punching her over and over again.

After I beat the hell out of Justine, she took off to Parsons to be with like pretentious, artsy Ann Demeuleester wannabes talking tweed, java, and Gwyneth Paltrow.

I wouldn't last two minutes in a place like that, because I'd start smacking people and get arrested.

Yesterday, my left breast and my right breast were arguing... I looked down at my chest and shouted, "Bitches, get in line, or I'm putting on a bra!"

You will have the greatest time of your life in college.

That said, when considering schools it really depends on what your priorities are, both in the short- and long-term. As stated earlier, if you are able to balance your art school curriculum with extracurriculars like staying current with the 3 Rs, as well as joining clubs or meeting people outside of the art world (which can be a bit easier at a lib arts school), then art school would be a good choice.

If you don't feel like you have the focus to do that, then try a lib arts school. I think you will be delightfully surprised at how good it feels to be well-rounded when you leave school. Two semesters of writing, required math, and sociology, etc. may seem pointless while you're up all night cramming or writing a paper, but in the long run they are useful tools in the "real world." Whatever art medium you choose to pursue, you want people to take you seriously, and having a broader experience from which to draw for your art is always a good thing. Plus it always helps to have some kind of a background in business if you are interested in making money with your art.

But I digress. I am a total proponent for going to school in a big city. Between the diversity in culture, people, food, and overall choices you will never be bored. And there are plenty of liberal arts schools in major metropolitan cities that have amazing arts programs. There is no reason you should feel like you have to either choose between Pratt or a place like UWis Madison. Talk about extremes. If you're a decent person, getting chicks or dudes shouldn't be a problem no matter where you go, so don't let that be too much of a factor (but I concur you should stay away from Sarah Lawrence).

So not everyone has the greatest experience in college, but you will never know until you are in the thick of it. I have many, many friends that switched majors (and schools) 3 or 4 times before they settled at a school (or decided that school wasn't for them). But don't forget, there's always grad school...

you see how picky i am with my shoes, and they only go on my feet!

Hi, sorry, I was being sarcastic about the Brooks College thing.

Where you live is as much a part of your college education as the classes you take. It is very important in shaping your views of the world as well as shaping your art. There's a reason why Bob Ross painted all those "happy clouds." Just something to think about.

The best thing to do is visit any potential college towns and meet the people that live there, work there, and go to school there. Have you been to Bed Stuy? or Rhode Island? Do you consider yourself a country person, or a city person? You don't want to be bored in the middle of nowhere, but you certainly don't want to have an anxiety attack while in the middle of Metropolis.

THAT said, there are many more opportunities for internships in a big city like New York. But that means that there are more people competing for those positions, and if you get a good internship, the likelihood that you will be paid what you're worth, or paid enough to survive, or even paid at all is slim. But that's what a job at American Apparel is for (where you will be totally surrounded by poor art students that like to drink, a lot). Hopefully whatever internship you get will be worth your time and you will learn a lot.

Hope that helps.

- -----

what exactly are you looking to study? just general art? or any specific type of art? art history?

you should pick the school based upon what you want to study.

Like if you want to do painting, traditional arts, etc... pick a school with a good program, like Pratt.

If you want fashion etc... pick some place like FIT or Parsons.

Have you looked at Cooper Union, it's very competitive, but one of the best programs in the nation.

I suggest RISDE in Providence, Rhode Island. it's a very good program, especially for choosing a specific field of specialization.

As for schools an hour away from NY. There aren't that many options, unless you go to some college in New Jersey or Long Island, or god forbid Yale in Conneticut. If I were you and had the opportunity to go to school in the city, I would go there.

I agree, sometimes art schools can be very insulated in terms of your well rounded education. If you are just going to go off and do graphic design or something with your bachelor's degree, then just go to an art school. But if you are planning Grad school afterwards go to an lib arts school, the business, management, lit, etc... classes go a long way. And besides you can always go to an "arts" program at a graduate school anyways.

- -----

[everything is insanity and I have a headache]

Don't go to the burbs. You will be hated on. Suburban college is full of dudes in visors and hairgel. You will have to circle jerk your way into a frat. All the bitches will hate you. You will catch an STD... from a fat chick.

Actin' bad like a kid at Six Flags...

a) If you grew up in a major metro city than you can probably handle going to school in NYC without much distraction. But I've noticed that a lot of kids from the burbs and dumbfucksville who come to say NYC for college either take 5-7 years to graduate or end up dropping out. I'm going to attribute this to not be able to handle all the distractions NYC has to offer.

B) While you're trying to decide between a Liberal Arts College and an Art school you are ignoring that there are quite a number of Liberal Arts Schools with programs in Art that rival or sometimes decimate those you'll find at Art Schools. For example look at Bard. Their Art Dept is top notch as far as Fine Arts goes. Try and find a stronger faculty (past and present) that isn't from a Grad program.

c) You're 15, why are you even flipping over this now?? You just got to High School man.

Edited by My Pal the Crook on Jul 14, 2005 at 09:20 AM

You're only 15??

You know what I was doing when I was 15? Throwing rocks at my neighbor, Robbie Joyner. I sure as hell wasn't thinking about college.

But then again, colleges weren't as competitive way back then. I'm not sure how i got into NYU, but I did, and I still promote going to school in a big city.

Dont go to school..

Just pick up a zone from your local pusher and start pushing. Get big enough to have people going after you, Get shot or stabbed a few times LIVE... and then become a rapper and tell eveyone you're story of rags to riches.

Its really the only way to make a good living nowadays..

HOPE YOU GET IT LATER...

• 2 weeks later...