What kinds of men's dress shoes you guys wearing?

I don't know how to tell a quailty men's shoe from a cheap one. I just want multiple pairs (a black, a burgundy/brown/etc.) that not only look fresh, but that can be worn and walked in for hours at a time on hard surfaces.

check out the shoes that look better with age thread for a comprehensive look at what's on the collective feet.

If anything, get something with rubber soles. Real dress shoes with wood bottoms literally kill my feet all the way to my lower back. I like Pradas or Tods with rubber soles.

i'm thinking that you mean leather soles and not wood, unless you're discussing clogs... point taken about rubber soles, however - they're definitely more comfortable than leather soles if you're spending all day on your feet.

thanks for the suggestion, but as for me, I am very nitpicky about clothes that look new , but still an informative thread, thanks.

check out the shoes that look better with age thread for a comprehensive look at what's on the collective feet.

i'm thinking that you mean leather soles and not wood, unless you're discussing clogs... point taken about rubber soles, however - they're definitely more comfortable than leather soles if you're spending all day on your feet.

i thought they stopped using wooden soles in the middle ages. most higher end dress shoes use a laminate leather sole, which may resemble laminate wood to a shoe novice. fuck rubber soled shoes, unless of course its pair of sneakers. Gum soles for casual boots are okay. leather soles are the best if they are well made (i've seen cheap ones that are quite porous), they have a special feel to them every time they hit the ground and also make a very serious sound when walking.

currently my fav leather sole shoes are my church's two tone wing tips, my margiela painted white canvas zipper boots, and my recently acquired pierre hardy desert boots. i have a pair of surface to air leather sole winkle pickers, but the leather sole on these is significantly softer and feels cheaper.

And all this time I thought they were wood! Well they feel like and sound like wood when walking in them. Ah well, learn something new everyday. Thanks.

If you have the $$$ I recommend Bally. Very comfortable, exceptional quality and quite sharp shoes. I have a newish pair and the leather is ridiculously soft and the soles and interior are beautiful. Much more comfortable than my Prada or Dior dress shoes.

I second Bally.

I've got a pair of Canols, which are classic natural plain toed oxfords with a leather sole. I've also got a pair of Brigas which have a more contempary profile with very subtle perferations and a hybrid leather and rubber sole.

They exceptionally well constructed, and great value when on sale. I got one pair at 30% off and another at 50% (mates rates). At 30% off they arn't much more expensive then Llyods, Floreishem and Boss.

What ever you choose, invest in a good shoe tree made out of ceder, and some good leather conditioner. Give your shoes atleast 24 hours to rest in a shoe tree after use.

thanks for the suggestion, but as for me, I am very nitpicky about clothes that look new , but still an informative thread, thanks.

there is no way you could've read all 146 pages of that thread in 7 minutes.

From this I can only conclude that you are very lazy and thus I must tell you to refrain from posting anything on this subject again until you've read said thread!!

Posting again will result in negative reputation!

I wear Rockport and they are great (0).

I'd like those Helmut Lang or DH plain toes but that won't happen

until I become a hot-shot radiologist.

Kinda unrelated, but are physicians expected to wear really generic american

business wear e.g. ralph lauren and brooks

What's your style of clothes? Do you mean dressy as in office dressy or something more fashion forward? Oh and I only buy leather soles but sometimes I'll have a vibram (rubber) soles added for protection.

Go to a good men's store and check out their dress shoes (ideally, Barney's in NY--where are you?). They won't be selling too much crap, so you'll get a good idea of what a well-made, elegant dress shoe looks and feels like. Avoid plastic-y looking leather and thick rubber soles. If they're not comfortable enough to wear for awhile, get insoles, don't buy crappier shoes.

I hate to just spew stuff I learned on teh internets, but check out styleforum.net, which has a lot of info on less designer-y shoes than sufu, which has more info on more fashion-forward, uh, interesting shoes. Maybe check out the list of links to high-end shoes.

I won't directly recommend Church's...as they're very pricey...but I own these shoes and they really go with everything...jeans, suits, chinos. I second the recommendation for rubber soles though...I regret buying leather soles...they look like shit now, and I slip constantly. My intention was to get rubber grips put on the bottom, but Church's actually puts a slip of paper in the shoe box specifically telling you NOT to do that, so I didn't.:(

4mx5xyu.jpg

Kinda unrelated, but are physicians expected to wear really generic american

business wear e.g. ralph lauren and brooks

(Tangent, I realize, but still.)

A few Dr friends of mine have the same issue... they seem to run into negative reactions from patients when they wear anything too fashion-forward (and/or anything looks pricey... the patient's reaction being, I suppose, "if you can afford those, are you just going to jack my bill to pad your wallet...?")..... but the bigger issue seems to be comfort as you're on your feet almost all day.

(Tangent, I realize, but still.)

A few Dr friends of mine have the same issue... they seem to run into negative reactions from patients when they wear anything too fashion-forward (and/or anything looks pricey... the patient's reaction being, I suppose, "if you can afford those, are you just going to jack my bill to pad your wallet...?")..... but the bigger issue seems to be comfort as you're on your feet almost all day.

Thats actually an interesting point. I think you have to be careful when at work with what you wear (depending on where you work ofcourse). You want to look nicely put together and thoughtful without appearing over-paid, or overly conscious of your appearance. I read somehwere that Men should look like they were deliberate and informed while dressing themselves in the morning, and haven't thought about their clothes since.

yes, those ballys look incredible, but WAY out of my price range. I should have been more specific, as I am a student and just started working part time since the funds began to run out and summer is here.

In my part time job which is fashion based, I'd really like to step it up (since thats my thing) and stand out, rather than just dress safe.

For shoes, I'd like some that have some nice striking color like a burgundy brown or maybe white. I would rather not wear the same old boring black and brown.

any recommendations?

lately i've been wearing mostly this pair by Yohji Yamamoto which I purchased in Japan:

DSC05468.jpg

it looks nice for casual or dressier occasions, very versatile, and also i think it looks better the more creased the shoes get and the leather detail at the heel starts to chip away from walking. The pic is from Atelier so they might still have it, don't know how much it costs there though.

But if i'm going to work and need a more polished formal shoe, the pair i have from Boss Selection is quite nice. Great quality, not so much a shoe to be dressed down but good for business occasions. Otherwise I'd just recommend Church's in general...best all around leather shoe for your buck, good for any occasion and will last you a while.

those look clean, but a little on the safe side for me. I also checked out the boss shoes you mentioned, i found a nice brown pair on ebay but not in my size. seems affordable though at about $180 - $200. where else can i find more on the boss shoe?

those Yohjis look a bit on the safe side? I'd say it's the opposite, especially if you try wearing that to work...that pic doesn't give a good shot of the detail, but the bottom of the sides and the heel is practically covered with leather fabric. It's not totally wacky but as far as 'dress' shoes go they're more liberal than your typical design

for Boss shoes, i don't mean the regular Hugo Boss line. I meant the Boss Selection line, 180-200 probably isn't enough...i'd say you're looking at 400-500. I don't normally fuck with Hugo Boss, so i don't know how reliable ebay is for that. Actually I can't stand Hugo Boss, this is the one shoe i lucked out on finding by accident.

^^ Barker Blacks are beautiful shoes...pretty pricey though.

To mellowfresh - I know brown & black shoes seem kinda boring, but if you're a student and on a budget, you may want to get a pair that will last you...and white shoes aren't exactly the most practical colour...but whatever floats your boat. If I were you, I'd start with a more basic pair that you won't get sick of and save the fun stuff for when you have a nice pair you can rely on. Askandy has a ton of info on shoes...Berlutti, Church's, Edward Green, etc. info you can skip over until you're ready to drop some major cash.

I'm still fairly out to lunch on how much i love these, but Barker Black is doing some unique stuff.

oxfords with the ostrich(?) cap toe are nice... the wholecuts with the skull and crossbones brogueing are fucking foul.

also, is there not a somewhat-general consensus that balmorals should be straight-laced?

lately i've been wearing mostly this pair by Yohji Yamamoto which I purchased in Japan:

DSC05468.jpg

This is a very nice shoe. I think there's a lot of overlap between what he's been doing and s2athis season, with s2a being a little more overstated. Again, a very handsome shoe.