used bicycles in toronto

eldave04

There's a couple of bike stores on Queen west that you might wanna check out...I can't remember the names right now but one of them is on the north side of Queen, west of Bathurst..they carry choppers, lowriders, etc..you might be able to find one there...

I think they're a bit pricey though and I don't know if you'll get a used one..

good luck..

peace.

Yo really-- those bikes are "cool" and all, but unless you are riding like around your neighborhood they are the most annoying, slow, and ineffective bike to ride around the city. Don't think you will enjoy riding over a mile anywhere.

Get a track bike. You don't need the 2 cool fixed gear either- as long as you have skinny tires. Trust me you will be able to really get places and not hate life.

Actin' bad like a kid at Six Flags...

Cruisers look nice but just suck to ride. Low riders should only exist in magazines. BMX are for tricks, not commuting.

Lots of bikes get jacked in T.O., so if you anticipate leaving your bike unattended for more than 15 minutes, do yourself a favor and get bike with an ugly frame, but decent moving parts.

If you don't know a bottom bracket from a handlebar, get a road bike with sidepull caliper brakes. You'll have to adjust brakes yourself fairly often, and calipers are much easier than cantilever or v-brakes.

If yer gonna get a track frame (w. horizontal, not vertical dropouts), you may as well get a wheel built w. a flip-flop hub, so you can ride both fixed and free.

Fixed gear may be "2 cool" for Foxxworth, but some people, including lots of vet couriers, swear by them. I find fixies waaay better in the rain and snow. Test drive one, then decide for yourself.

if you have no idea of what i'm talking about, go to Urbane Cyclist on john, north of queen to get educated.

Edited by rabbitpunch on Jun 29, 2005 at 02:22 PM

Yea Cruisers are real nice, especially lowrider style and chopper style, but ride quality is the worst, turning corners is a battle, not good for the city, but nice to pose in. Hogtown has completes and parts, aswell as Cycle Shoppe east of Bathurst on the north side, a few stores west of Rotate This. Dukes' sell choppers but i dont' think they got chromed out ones. If anybodys lookin for mountain or road bike send me a PM, i know alot of couriers.

Uncle Jacob is a fat fuck with shitty, overpriced bikes. Do NOT but from him.

Igor's, across from Trinity Bellwoods on Queen W., deals in stolen bikes. You don't want that on your conscience do you?

If you want used, check the MEC board (though it's mostly high-end shit, but you can post there too) or craigslist. There may also be a sketchy bike shop / repair shop in the basement of the Walmart in Dufferin Mall (Dufferin, s. of Bloor).

if you're serious about buying a good bike, internet classifieds are a good place to check out.

www.mtbr.com

www.roadbikereview.com

a bike usually costs around 50 bucks for US domestic ground shipping, it is probably a bit more to canada.

if you're mechanically inclined, i'd say buy the parts, frame and build your own. you'll get exactly what you want and may save a few bucks here and there.

when i was seriously into the mountain biking thing, i built a $3500 retailed GT bike for about $1500, and mine was lighter/better.

ebay isn't a bad place to look either.

"God is Dead" - Neitzsche icon_smile_angry.gif

"Neitzsche is Dead" - God icon_smile_cool.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry about leaving this thread to die, but i ve been MIA for a while. Why a cruiser? I think they look great, that and I bought a motor kit to motorize a bicycle and I thought it would be hillarious to put one on a cruiser. I decieded against it and am currently motorizing a cheap mountain bike to see how everything works. I might go ahead and get one of those beach cruisers but am still not sure.