Chicago winter.. Where to get a nice coat?

taromakino

I'm heading down to the Chicago area for college later this year, and would like some advice from those of you who live in areas where it gets below 0 in the winter. Can you recommend me some nice long coats? My budget for each one is around $200, and I want to buy two.

What do you people wear under your pants? I am used to wearing very flimsy jeans, almost like slacks. What do the business folk in Chicago wear under their slacks in order to prevent their balls from freezing off? (no homo)

long underwear or nothing. we chicagoans are used to the cold.

just keep your skin covered and wear layers.

There are a mess of monsterous Spiewak and army surplus parkas in the basement of Belmont Army on Milwaukee Ave., and for cheap. You could probably get two if you get there while it's still summer.

edit for jilla: I think he's coming from a warmer climate. All the california transplants seem to turn blue when it gets below thirty here.

I'm in the same boat. I'm headed up there in the fall too (which school are you going too?) but I'm pretty prepared for it. One of my friends lives there & I've been able to visit him at times when it was in the 80s where I live, then I get up there & it doesn't get above 55 all weekend. And that was in the middle of May.

But I will be looking for some new boots. As far as walking+warmth, any suggestions for boots? I've got a cheap pair of Tims, but didn't know how Red Wings or Danners are for both comfort & warmth. I'm definitely open to suggestions for other brands cuz those above mentioned are expensive, but I'm willing to spend the money for the quality.

Yea I am coming from Orange County, and I haven't experienced a day where its below 60 in a very long time. A warm day for you and I will probably be huddled in a corner with blue balls.

twistedtrees, I'm going to Northwestern University in Evanston. What about you??

Don't forget cashmere boxers to keep your balls warm.

this is actually very true--my base layers last winter were cashmere or silk blends and I would sweat on the train sometimes--good investment. and i still get away wearing my nice wool winter coats when it's the worst of chicago winter days.

the last few years have been warmer than usual and we haven't had a real blizzard in a long while, imo. so when chicagoans bitch about the winter--it's from memories of the last decade or longer. (so, imo don't go overboard with buying winter stuff)

Personally, I like Chicago's Falls and Winters outside of two worst weeks in january/febuary over the dog-breath Summers (I remember like 94 or 95 with the blackouts and extreme heat, hundreds of ppl died in a week). Few things are worse than consistent high heat, high humidity, and no A/C, imo.

yeah, I went to college in chicago from LA and the transition in terms of weather wasn't too horrible, at least not during this past school year. As said before, layers, layers, and layers. Fuck fashion when you're frigid. Also, I definitiely agree with Isoform on the chicago summers. I spent 2 weeks in chicago last august and it was so unbearable since I had no prior experience with such intense fucking humidity. Thank god for southern california summers.